AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks AcuDefTechGuy

Any suggestions for the wired mic? I agreed with you, sometimes old school tech is best. I still got ethernet wires ran to PCs.
Behringer XM1800S. I love them. They sound great.

I actually tried a more expensive higher-end model and ended up returning it because I didn’t like it at all. Just because they cost more doesn’t mean they will be better. :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJ2TIE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A311BEHFUHRLQM&psc=1

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

Top Left: HTPC (silver case)
Middle Right: Yamaha MG12 Mixer (replaced Yamaha MG10)
Bottom Right: Yamaha RX-A3080 (replaced Denon AVR-5308)

As for manuals/instructions, what I posted on the 1 post in this thread is what I do.

My RX-A3080 is set to PURE DIRECT. When I used the Denon AVR-5308, I also had to use PURE DIRECT or DIRECT. Anything other than DIRECT/PURE DIRECT will cause a DELAY in sound, which sounds weird.

My Karaoke PC is Windows 7. When I tried using Windows 10 (all my 14 other PCs are Windows 10), somehow the Karaoke sound did not work. I couldn't figure it out why. So I went back to Windows 7 just for this PC for my Karaoke. :D
Do you have any suggestions for an HT/ karaoke system if you were going to start from scratch now?

The wifey bought wireless karaoke mics and gave me my marching orders: Make it work on our HT system or pay the consequences!

This HT system has a Denon AVR (don’t remember the model right now, but it’s a mid range that’s about 5 years old). The speakers are relatively cheap in wall units right now so I’m not expecting great sound. On the other hand, mediocre sound might provide an excuse to upgrade the speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have any suggestions for an HT/ karaoke system if you were going to start from scratch now?

The wifey bought wireless karaoke mics and gave me my marching orders: Make it work on our HT system or pay the consequences!

This HT system has a Denon AVR (don’t remember the model right now, but it’s a mid range that’s about 5 years old). The speakers are relatively cheap in wall units right now so I’m not expecting great sound. On the other hand, mediocre sound might provide an excuse to upgrade the speakers.
I would recommend the Yamaha MG12 XLR Stereo Mixer with Compression Feature.

I use a PC w/ HDMI Output to store all the Karaoke Songs (downloaded for free on YouTube). So use the adapters that I mentioned.

Connections:
YouTube Karaoke (Your Computer or Karaoke Source) --> HDMI Out --> HDMI Splitter --> A & B

A. HDMI 1 goes to AVR as "HTPC"
B. HDMI 2 goes to HDMI-to-Component Video + L/R Stereo RCA Converter Box --> A & B

A. Component Video goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Video
B. L/R Stereo RCA goes to the Yamaha Mixer for Sound --> Yamaha Mixer Audio L/R Outputs goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Audio

The Microphone connects to the Yamaha Mixer.

For Denon, I would use Direct Mode. Use LFE+Main so you can get Subwoofer/LFE output to your subs even in Direct Mode. Have to use Direct Mode or else you get this weird echo sound.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

I use a PC w/ HDMI Output to store all the Karaoke Songs (downloaded for free on YouTube). So use the adapters that I mentioned.

Connections:
YouTube Karaoke (Your Computer or Karaoke Source) --> HDMI Out --> HDMI Splitter --> A & B

B. HDMI 2 goes to HDMI-to-Component Video + L/R Stereo RCA Converter Box --> A & B

B. L/R Stereo RCA goes to the Yamaha Mixer for Sound --> Yamaha Mixer Audio L/R Outputs goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Audio

For Denon, I would use Direct Mode. Use LFE+Main so you can get Subwoofer/LFE output to your subs even in Direct Mode. Have to use Direct Mode or else you get this weird echo sound.
Thanks, that's very helpful.

I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary to split the HDMI from the PC and connect the first HDMI to the AVR. If the AVR gets component video from the converter box and audio from mixer what does the first HDMI-to-AVR connection do? (As you may have guessed, I've never used a PC as an input to an AVR so I'm a complete noob when it comes to that)

In the off chance you're interested in one way to do it that s*cks, I initially set it up to stream Youtube videos using the TV app. I connected the TV audio out to a (cheap) D/A converter using tosslink cables, then connected the analog out from the D/A converter to a (cheap) mixing board. The karaoke mics are also connected to the mixing board inputs. The RCA outs from the mixing board are input to the AVR. The sound from the mics is clear (and loud) but the music is highly distorted, even at low volume. Besides the horrible sound quality, I'm concerned about frying my speakers so I need a mixer with compression (the one I have does not have compression). Also, finding and streaming karaoke videos using the TV app is an exercise in frustration.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary to split the HDMI from the PC and connect the first HDMI to the AVR.
I want to keep HTPC (1) separate from Karaoke (2).

So when I watch movies, I hit the HTPC button on my remote and get HTPC for movies, which is 4K/ATMOS (pure HDMI bitstream

When I sing karaoke, I hit the “Karaoke” button, which is sound from the Yamaha Mixer (stereo 2CH, won’t sound as good as pure HDMI bitstream).

If you are okay with just using the PC for only karaoke, then you would not need to split the HDMI.

So basically HTPC is pure digital and KARAOKE is ANALOG.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Connections:

How are you going from HDMI to component video? I did not think you could strip the video from HDMI any longer only the audio.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How are you going from HDMI to component video? I did not think you could strip the video from HDMI any longer only the audio.
They sell a lot of HDMI Converter boxes like the picture on post#23.

The HDMI (Red) goes in. The 3 Component Video (Gray) and L/R Audio (Black) go out.

It converts HDMI to Component Video + Stereo L/R. And it doesn’t even require a power adapter because the HTPC’s HDMI Output provides the power to the HDMi Converter box.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They sell a lot of HDMI Converter boxes like the picture on post#23.

It converts HDMI to Component Video + Stereo L/R. And it doesn’t even require a power adapter because the HTPC’s HDMI Output provides the power to the HDMi Converter box.
That is an illegal conversion for sure.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So the FBI will be making arrests because people are having to convert HDMI to Component for their Karaoke?
My point is that people may have trouble doing that, as I suspect you may have legacy equipment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis