JVC RX-DP9V, A Monstrous Receiver!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just can't seem to get rid of "upgrade-itus". I think I may have the worst case ever.:D

So I have been eyeballing this RX-DP9V at Pawn broker for months, it never moved and they were set on the price of $399. Well a few days ago they dropped the price $319 and I thought I would look into what this receiver was all about.

By looking at it you know it was top of the line, or in this case second from top of the line, when it was made. Beautiful craftsmanship and heavy, 47 pounds. You would also think that it was only a mere 5.1 receiver at first glance because there are no Dolby EX or DTS-ES logos on the front (it is important to note this receiver does not process DTS-ES Discrete, only Matrix 6.1). The THX-EX logo is what gives it away along with the supplied pre-outs for 7.1 (internal amplification is only for 5 channels).

I did some research on the RX-DP9's sales and found that some internet retailers are still selling this thing for $700+, though that doesn't mean they are moving the merchandise.:rolleyes: At first I thought I would be able to make a quick buck, and still may be able too, but I don't think that is the way the story was written.

Anyone that has read my other recent threads knows I have a Yamaha HTR-5890 (pictured in my signature) as well as a newer addition, Carver AV-705X 5 channel amplifier. Well I think this new JVC powerhouse will be replacing them both, which is funny because it is a couple years older than the HTR-5890. Fact is, the JVC has it where it counts. I has power (stable with 4 ohm loads) and ample features that would make any grown man drool for $320+tax. However, I skipped drool (not really) and just bought the dang thing.

To understand what an incredible find this is, from my point of view, look at my previous pawn shop purchases. They all have one thing in common, they all look obviously used. The JVC, even though it sat in the pawn shop for months has not one scratch on the face plate (some on the side but irrelevant when in my entertainment center).

It has a plethora of DSP modes for those that enjoy those and can be used in conjunction with 5.1 for enhanced concert experience if you so desire more ambiance.

How does the beast sound?, magnificent. I used the Yamaha for music on occasion at higher volumes up to +20 on the volume scale and wouldn't take it much further because I would notice some audible clipping I found to be unpleasant to listen to. I took the JVC up to +5 and my speakers sounded just as glorious as they would at +30 only much louder.:D

Some little things I noticed during dust removal (routine for used electronics purchases), it has 10 smaller capacitors for the output stage that amount to 33,000 microfarads total, all 80volt.:eek: That is a lot of juice for an amplifier in a receiver, and I am not sure there aren't more that I can't see.:D

I will have pictures of this receiver soon with a new and updated system thread in the near future.:)

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Include in your pics one with the top off of that JVC please?:cool:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will be doing that very soon.:D

I have been listening to it since I cleaned it out, should have taken pictures when I did that, I had had company and they probably would have thought I was wacky for taking pictures of the inside of a receiver.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I may be able to get them up tonight.;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here are the pictures-

Front-

Back-

Her she is with her top off.:D

Right side-

More in next post.....

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The rest of the pictures-

Audio processes board (right side)-

Output stage and heatsinks-

Capacitors-

Power supplies (large one for the amp, smaller hidden one for pre/pro-

There it is.:)

Matt34

Matt34

Sounds like a you got one heck of a deal! Congrats:D

I like the front, very clean appearance.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the pics.
It looks like a beast of a reciever.:cool:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What are the values of those caps (Vrating, Cap rating)? 3,300uf?

I like using smaller multiple caps since it reduces ESR. Looks like a very nice receiver.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Congrats Seth,

a heck of a deal, indeed!

Had the chance to hear that beast way back when, on a friend's house and the main speakers were the Polk LSI'9s...

Matter of fact, I still recall that fantastic sound and - to my ears - is still "the best sound I ever heard before" (well, I haven't got the chance for some other good comparisons, though).

Wish you the best enjoyment!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Nice find. All I see from JVC (audio) anymore are the digital AVR's, similar to Panasonic. My first receiver was a JVC. It was bulletproof, and sounded great. JVC was a much more recognized name in the 80's than it is today.

I need to drop in more pawn shops. In Columbus, we have them on every block. The last time I went in, the two hoodlooms behind the counter got real nervous. (probably thought I was undercover - not their typical client). Much of this stuff around me is most likely stolen. I'm sure they all have ebay sites. :rolleyes:

nav

nav

Audioholic
I need to drop in more pawn shops. In Columbus, we have them on every block. The last time I went in, the two hoodlooms behind the counter got real nervous. (probably thought I was undercover - not their typical client). Much of this stuff around me is most likely stolen. I'm sure they all have ebay sites. :rolleyes:
There are plenty of honest, non-thieving pawnshops and brokers. If you get to know the people working there, you should be able to tell how scrupulous they are. The stereotypes popularly applied to pawnshops aren't really very accurate.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
no. 5 said:
Holy capacitors, Batman!

Looks like you found a worthy successor to the Yamaha…. and the search for the ‘perfect’ gear continues, eh?
Holy capacitors is right.:D I really like the meticulous design. This is the most beautiful piece I have ever owned.:D

Gene,

The capacitor values are 3,300 uF 80v. The voltage is around the highest I have seen an filter caps, higher than the Carver I think. I didn't realize that using smaller caps reduced interference (what exactly does ESR stand for anyway?:)) Each channel gets 6,600 of juice in surround mode (over simplified I am sure since the caps probably don't have designated channels)

avliner,

This is certainly the most solid sounding receiver I have ever used, and it is definitely the heaviest most expensive (not necessarily how much expense it was to me) receiver I have owned. The fact it is replacing the Carver, even though it doesn't have quite the same power as the Carver, should be a statement from this receiver on itself.

Buckeyefan 1,

I was at Fry's the other day and they had an $800 JVC digital receiver. That thing runs hot just doing nothing. I guess JVC's mentality isn't to be efficient.;) I really wish they would make another line of the RX-DP series, these suckers rock.:)

Nav and Buckeyefan 1,

Were I am from the Police come in on a regular basis to check the merchandise. The corporate pawn brokers like Cash America and EZPawn run the serial #'s before they buy, and without serial #'s they don't buy.;)

All in all I am very happy about getting this thing, it doesn't have HDMI or anything superlatively new, but it rocks.:) I just bought one of those JVC FS-1000 executive micro systems, thing looks real cute but sounds pretty good. It will sort of match the DP9.;)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Seth,

yeah, most definitely! If you're replacing the Carver, that means something, though. BTW, don't know why, but basically none of JVC top end AVR's has never been known in the US; perhaps their marketing strategy is to sell regular stuff and do not compete with brands like Denon, Yamaha, etc...

Just for your info, this beast is highly regarded in Japan & Europe.
Last but not least, I DO envy you!

Keep us posted on your new toy...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a broucher of the RX-DP15 and 20, they look fantastic as well. All internal parts where copper shielded (drool).

I wondered why I had never heard about them around here or anywhere else. The only reason I found them was because I got the broucher from some hi-fi store that didn't even carry JVC.:rolleyes:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I continue to be impressed here!

I was listening to some jazz this evening and wow can this receiver deliver. The thing that may have surprised me the most was the ability of the 8" AR sub to keep with a pretty darn good bass line.

Wew, my neighbors hate me.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis