JVC Projector Owner’s Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can I adjust the projector brightness using the brightness slider on the menu, or this do not affect the laser output?
You can reduce the Brightness and Contrast Levels to reduce the overall brightness, but that will also affect the overall picture quality/black levels.

So it's fine as long as the Picture/Black Levels look great to you.

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
So in other words, the best IQ is with the laser in eco mode and the standard Brightness and Contrast level, correct?
Have you made some test with laser in variable (low or high) mode?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So in other words, the best IQ is with the laser in eco mode and the standard Brightness and Contrast level, correct?
Have you made some test with laser in variable (low or high) mode?
Nope. I was so happy with the Natural Color preset and Eco mode (both NZ3 and NX5) that I didn’t do any adjustments. :D

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
Yesterday I did some test with the NZ3. The source was Apple TV4k with Amazon and Netflix content.
Bright scene in 4K HDR are astonishing, but in dark scene the blacks are not very convincing.
I'm in a living environment with white walls and two large windows which are generating some reflections.
During the bright scenes it seems like I have turned lights on in the room. Screen is 1.2 gain.
I think this NZ3 should be used with high contrast gray screen to express the full potential.
Overall I'm very happy, I hope to improve something with the calibration and with curtains to the windows :)

Giuseppe

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yesterday I did some test with the NZ3. The source was Apple TV4k with Amazon and Netflix content.
Bright scene in 4K HDR are astonishing, but in dark scene the blacks are not very convincing.
I'm in a living environment with white walls and two large windows which are generating some reflections.
During the bright scenes it seems like I have turned lights on in the room. Screen is 1.2 gain.
I think this NZ3 should be used with high contrast gray screen to express the full potential.
Overall I'm very happy, I hope to improve something with the calibration and with curtains to the windows :)

Giuseppe
As with Audio, the Picture Quality (colors and black level) is also highly dependent on the SOURCE.

Some sources have mediocre black levels and some have great black levels.

I think tweaking/calibrating will also be good.

Might want some drapes/curtains over those 2 LARGE WINDOWS. :D

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
Yep. That looks awesome.
Unfortunately pictures are not representative for the final quality. The contrast is better on the picture that in the reality. But I would say that brightness in better in the reality. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the NX5 is going on sale in Feb - March 11.

G

granosalis

Enthusiast
After 39 hours of usage I can post my initial impressions.

Source is Apple TV4K. Apps: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple+, Rai Play (Italian on demand TV). X-Box One (day one edition, without 4K support)

What I like:
- Brightness is impressive, even in echo mode. A TV like experience
- Colors are intense, deep and natural
- Resolution is beyond my expectation, e-shift works very well and without artifact or any added noise.
- Noise in echo mode, the projector is not udible
- Ranbow in 50/60 Hertz is almost absent
- Lens shift and throwing distance is perfect for my room
- I can leave it on without worrying about the lamp duration. With two kids who use it insted of TV is not trivial

What I don't like (but I can live with)
- Lens quality is poor, lot of cromatic aberrations and halo on menu text (which is not so evident on screen)
- Noise in Standard and variable high/low mode is udible
- Noise in variable high/low (80% of light) is equal to noise in Standard mode(100% light). For reference echo is 70% of light and its dead silent. Hope a firmware upgrade can fix this.
- Native contrast can be better
- Rainbow in 24P mode is clearly visible to my eyes (i'm very sensitive), but I have accepted it.
- Focus has slight shift when projecter is cold/hot, again the lens is poor.
- The menu has a good style if we had been twenty years ago
- Lens shift do not have a zero position, so you don't know if you have it enabled or not and how much. Its a minor issue, but I don't like it.
- HDMI synch is slow and may happen frequently when the Apple TV output format is different than the content you are watching.

I haven't watch so much HDR content to express an opinion. Tomorrow I should receive my Panasonic UB820.

In my opinion this projector is really amazing. It's not perfect, but which product is?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After 39 hours of usage I can post my initial impressions.

Source is Apple TV4K. Apps: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple+, Rai Play (Italian on demand TV). X-Box One (day one edition, without 4K support)

What I like:
- Brightness is impressive, even in echo mode. A TV like experience
- Colors are intense, deep and natural
- Resolution is beyond my expectation, e-shift works very well and without artifact or any added noise.
- Noise in echo mode, the projector is not udible
- Ranbow in 50/60 Hertz is almost absent
- Lens shift and throwing distance is perfect for my room
- I can leave it on without worrying about the lamp duration. With two kids who use it insted of TV is not trivial

What I don't like (but I can live with)
- Lens quality is poor, lot of cromatic aberrations and halo on menu text (which is not so evident on screen)
- Noise in Standard and variable high/low mode is udible
- Noise in variable high/low (80% of light) is equal to noise in Standard mode(100% light). For reference echo is 70% of light and its dead silent. Hope a firmware upgrade can fix this.
- Native contrast can be better
- Rainbow in 24P mode is clearly visible to my eyes (i'm very sensitive), but I have accepted it.
- Focus has slight shift when projecter is cold/hot, again the lens is poor.
- The menu has a good style if we had been twenty years ago
- Lens shift do not have a zero position, so you don't know if you have it enabled or not and how much. Its a minor issue, but I don't like it.
- HDMI synch is slow and may happen frequently when the Apple TV output format is different than the content you are watching.

I haven't watch so much HDR content to express an opinion. Tomorrow I should receive my Panasonic UB820.

In my opinion this projector is really amazing. It's not perfect, but which product is?
TV series like "The 100", "Start Up", and "Pennyworth" look so amazingly vibrant and beautiful in color.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Man, JVC is one of those manufacturers that gets their prices so they don't really have to go on sale for much. People will buy them regardless.
Well they really increased the price on the NX7 pretty significantly. I guess they thought the NX7 was underpriced. Good thing I got the NX7 for a friend of mine before they increased the price.

It's good they didn't increase the NX5 price.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Official Review of the JVC NZ3:

I think it pretty much said what I said. :D

Overall PQ is very good. Great brightness. Black levels are good, but not as great as NX5.

Interesting that they say "NATIVE 4K"!

PROS AND CONS
JVC LX-NZ3 Pros
  • 3000 lumens (color and white)
  • Laser Light Engine
  • 20,000 Hour Lamp Life ((High Lamp Power)
  • Native 4K UHD Resolution
  • DLP chip delivers a sharp picture
  • 4K HDCP 2.2 (18Gbps) for 4K@60p HDR playback
  • Compatible with HDR10 and HLG
  • Auto Tone Mapping to optimize HDR10 viewing
  • Good 4K upscaling
  • 1-year parts/labor warranty
Cons
  • High Lamp Power mode could be quieter
  • Black Level and Contrast could be better
  • No motorized lens
  • Not compatible with 3rd party anamorphic lenses