JVC LX-NZ3 Laser DLP Projector

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got my JVC LX-NZ3B (B = Black, W = White) so I’ve been watching a lot of movies and TV series yesterday. Will be posting some pictures later, but just wanted to give my initial impression.

This is a Native 2K Laser DLP projector w/ e-Shift to 3180x2160p 60/24 Hz resolution.

Settings.
PJ distance from screen: 23.5 FT
Screen size: 150-Inch, 16:9 Ratio
Lamp Mode: Economy (Instead of Normal)
Picture Mode: Natural (Instead of Cinema or Dynamic)

Picture Quality: Awesome!

IMO, If the NX7 is a 100%, the NZ5 is a 98%, and the NZ3 is an 85%.

I think it’s the NZ3 is THAT Awesome!

The black level of the NZ3 isn’t quite as detailed and awesome as the NX5/NX7, but it is better than or at least as good as any Epson, Optoma, and BenQ PJ I’ve seen In the $3-4K MSRP Range.

The picture quality of the NZ3 makes movies and TV shows (720p, 1080p, 2160p) look so vibrant and “pop” with just the “Natural“ Picture Mode and Economy Lamp Mode. And again, this is on a 150” Screen from about 24FT distance.

As a side note, the Remote Control of the NX5 and NZ3 are not “interchangeable“. The NZ3 Remote does not work for the NX5 and vice versa.

Negatives/Cons:
1. Noise level can be audible (spec says 34 dB) if Lamp Mode is set to Normal, instead of Economy. Noise level in Normal Mode is about the same as my BenQ W6000.

2. It’s not a Native 4K. So you won’t get true 4K resolution. But I plan on using the NZ3 as a “daily workhorse“ for watching mostly 2K anyway. I’ll reserve the best 4K movies for the NX5.

Conclusion: I think I am in love with the new JVC LX-NZ3 Laser projector. I think the picture quality is truly awesome at any price, but especially at this price range. I will most definitely be using the NZ3 as my daily projector. And I think anyone who doesn’t have the budget for the NX5/NX7 will absolutely love the picture quality and brightness level of the NZ3.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I got my JVC LX-NZ3B (B = Black, W = White) so I’ve been watching a lot of movies and TV series yesterday. Will be posting some pictures later, but just wanted to give my initial impression.

This is a Native 2K Laser DLP projector w/ e-Shift to 3180x2160p 60/24 Hz resolution.

Settings.
PJ distance from screen: 23.5 FT
Screen size: 150-Inch, 16:9 Ratio
Lamp Mode: Economy (Instead of Normal)
Picture Mode: Natural (Instead of Cinema or Dynamic)

Picture Quality: Awesome!

IMO, If the NX7 is a 100%, the NZ5 is a 98%, and the NZ3 is an 85%.

I think it’s the NZ3 is THAT Awesome!

The black level of the NZ3 isn’t quite as detailed and awesome as the NX5/NX7, but it is better than or at least as good as any Epson, Optoma, and BenQ PJ I’ve seen In the $3-4K MSRP Range.

The picture quality of the NZ3 makes movies and TV shows (720p, 1080p, 2160p) look so vibrant and “pop” with just the “Natural“ Picture Mode and Economy Lamp Mode. And again, this is on a 150” Screen from about 24FT distance.

As a side note, the Remote Control of the NX5 and NZ3 are not “interchangeable“. The NZ3 Remote does not work for the NX5 and vice versa.

Negatives/Cons:
1. Noise level can be audible (spec says 34 dB) if Lamp Mode is set to Normal, instead of Economy. Noise level in Normal Mode is about the same as my BenQ W6000.

2. It’s not a Native 4K. So you won’t get true 4K resolution. But I plan on using the NZ3 as a “daily workhorse“ for watching mostly 2K anyway. I’ll reserve the best 4K movies for the NX5.

Conclusion: I think I am in love with the new JVC LX-NZ3 Laser projector. I think the picture quality is truly awesome at any price, but especially at this price range. I will most definitely be using the NZ3 as my daily projector. And I think anyone who doesn’t have the budget for the NX5/NX7 will absolutely love the picture quality and brightness level of the NZ3.

What did you think of the HDR performance? That's my main focus for the new PJ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What did you think of the HDR performance? That's my main focus for the new PJ.
I've only been watching movie files on PLEX.

It is brighter than even the NX9. So that's a good thing for HDR.

Will have to check out some HDR BD.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
With those specs I would be surprised if it wasn't brighter. :)

Personally, I would rather have a less bright image with better black levels. But there are certainly circumstances where greater brightness would be beneficial.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve spent about 100 hours now with the NZ3.

Watched 4K HDR using the Sony X700 and 2K/4K contents on my HTPC (Win10) with Kodi and Plex.

Still loving the picture quality and brightness in Economy Lamp Mode and Natural Color Setting.

If I don’t watch with the NZ3 first, then my NX5 in Economy Lamp/Natural Color mode seems “bright”.

But if I watch with the NZ3 first, then watch with the NX5, then the NX5 seems a little dim.

So the NZ3 is very bright.

I have changed out my HDMI-2.0b cables with a brand called “BlueRigger” braided HDMI cables. It seems not all “high-speed HDMI 2.0b“ cables are created equal, at least not with the NZ3, which seems to love the BlueRigger cables.

ProjectionHead

ProjectionHead

Audiophyte
The NZ3 really is a hidden gem at the price point. The only other comparable 4k Laser DLP is the Optoma UHZ65 at almost $1,000 more expensive. Glad you're loving your NZ3!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The NZ3 really is a hidden gem at the price point. The only other comparable 4k Laser DLP is the Optoma UHZ65 at almost $1,000 more expensive. Glad you're loving your NZ3!
Thanks. Still using the NZ3 every single day and loving it every single day. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. Still using the NZ3 every single day and loving it every single day. :D
Since you've had it a long time now, which one do you like more? NZ3 or NX5? Not which one is better, which one you prefer. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since you've had it a long time now, which one do you like more? NZ3 or NX5? Not which one is better, which one you prefer. :)
If I were to buy again from scratch, I would just get the NZ3.

We know for a fact the NZ3 gives up video performance to the NX5. The NX5 is simply a better PJ. No question about that. But just not enough that I would pay MORE for the NX5 or NX7.

The only time I even use the NX5 is when I demo the PJ for clients. :D

But life is funny. Maybe I can say this about the NZ3 because I already have the NX5. :D

It’s like back then, I would never buy the B&W 802D2 until I already had the Salon2, Orion 3.2.1, and KEF 201/2. It’s like since I already have “the best”, it’s okay to have and enjoy “lesser” things.

Maybe since I already have the NX5, it’s perfectly okay to have and enjoy the NZ3 365 days a year. :D

But let’s put it this way- if I thought the NX5 is so much better than the NZ3, I would be using the NX5 365 days a year. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis