Just ran my first race yesterday...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My legs carbon fiber an titanium lighter than my real leg. The leg I have is made for walking they do make one for running but they are expensive. Army paid for this one.
I still have the bone but has a titanium rod from hip to knee. Car accident, my fault.

Thanks for your service :)

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Wow, that's amazing, I came close to losing my lower left leg. Infection had set in they couldn't stop it. But in the end I made it through. I can relate some what, you being an Army guy and all. Meaning, all though I wasn't dodging bullets or roadside bombs, working in the Gulf of Mexico, flying around in Chopper's sometimes several times a day jumping from production platform to another. Bring some very high pressure oil and gas Wells online was in it self like trying to keep a bomb for going off. I've lost some buddy's out in the Gulf. I thank you for your service my fellow AH member! My body hurts from my service work in the oilfield. The cheapest thing to replace in the oilfield is a human life. Believe me, when a person gets hurt in the oilfield the first thing those oilfield companies do throw them under the bus. They'll stop at nothing to make sure it wasn't their fault. To the point of even threatening other people that where witnesses. Or like me they threatened my family, me and my family if I sued. Best of wishes bro!
I wasn't army but I will let my wife know when she gets home from the hospital, ptsd from Iraq messed her up. I lost my leg for the same reason you almost lost yours infection almost killed me, but I'm still here.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I still have the bone but has a titanium rod from hip to knee. Car accident, my fault.

Thanks for your service :)
So, you too huh? Damm, we a bunch of beat up worker's. Man, I'm just glad I wasn't one of those wealthy, very rich people who got involved with that dude who was running that teenage ring. The one the found dead in that jail cell. Guess what they say is true to some point, the wealthy normal people, very rich are the really messed up one's. Guess he found out all those very rich and powerful people in high places wasn't going to back him up. Used him like the GOAT that he was.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I wasn't army but I will let my wife know when she gets home from the hospital, ptsd from Iraq messed her up. I lost my leg for the same reason you almost lost yours infection almost killed me, but I'm still here.
Oh okay, my bad, but still yeah she carried you on the medical with the Army. PTS huh? There are two different types. One's PTS the other PTSD. Ones inherited the other is Post dated. Now before anyone goes off on me, No I'm not a Doctor. But I've done a lot of research into that, post-traumatic stress disease and post-traumatic stress. Both have very similar symptoms but or not totally the same. One can be inherited through your family genes the other can be post trauma inherited.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Well my injuries, knees, right shoulder dislocated three times. Lower back injuries bulged disc. Severely sprained both of my ankles many times. Not to mention hand injuries, list is a long one.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I started running about 20 years ago, when I started putting on the poundage. The first couple of months were murder, but I kept it up. I had no real interest in running races, but my neighbour, who is really into it convinced me to give it a shot. It was a lot of fun and we're planning on doing another one soon.

I've been quite fortunate with my knees, which don't bother me whatsoever. Even when I was carrying a few extra pounds, it wasn't an excessive amount, so there wasn't that much extra stress on my joints. Plus, when I transitioned to the VFF's and a forefoot strike, I believe it reduced much of the impact force from my joints. It took a while to strengthen my calves and Achilles tendons, but I have no regrets. Plus, I'm at an age where I don't really care how I look when I run.

I'll be looking into a more structured running program so that I'll be able to reduce my times.
Good deal...nice to have that drive/ambition to push your times lower...quite frankly, that's what kept me in it...breaking 40 mins. I was an assistant mgr at an athletic store and we sold all price levels of running shoes and the mgr was a runner and it was him that got me into it.

Now...swimming or biking are more my style as far as cardio goes. But as I said at the outset...for a mid 50's guy to be running 10ks...I applaud the effort.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
...at the age of 54 - 10 km in 52:27. I knew I could quite comfortably do it in 55:00, so anything under that was a bonus. I think I've got the bug now, so I'll probably enter more and see if I can lower that time. Of note - to me, at least - I didn't see any other runner wearing Vibram VFF's.
Anyone running 10 km distance at any time deserves applause. You ran it at age 54 with a time under 1 hour. Not too shabby. Congrats! How did it feel when you finished? And how was it the next day? Did the race follow a paved or unpaved course?

I used to run when I was in school, high school & college, cross country and track. I liked middle distance races, the half mile and mile. Today that would be 800 and 1500 meters. In college we ran 6 mile (9.7 km) races in cross country, and I hated it. The best runners were doing 6 miles well under 30 minutes, even below 28. I wasn't anywhere near that fast. I barely could think a race through if it was under 5 minutes, never mind over such a long distance. I don't remember any of my 6 mile times, as I was usually near the end of the pack. It signaled an early end to my running career. By the spring of my 2nd year in college, I was retired to the north 40. I wasn't even competitive at the mile or half mile on a mediocre college track team.

Today, I'd be happy to walk 2-3 miles every day.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Good deal...nice to have that drive/ambition to push your times lower...quite frankly, that's what kept me in it...breaking 40 mins. I was an assistant mgr at an athletic store and we sold all price levels of running shoes and the mgr was a runner and it was him that got me into it.

Now...swimming or biking are more my style as far as cardio goes. But as I said at the outset...for a mid 50's guy to be running 10ks...I applaud the effort.
At my age, I have no ambition to break 40 minutes, but I will certainly be aiming to break 50. We'll see how that goes. I also have a waterrower, which I use to vary up my exercise routines. Thanks for the encouragement!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone running 10 km distance at any time deserves applause. You ran it at age 54 with a time under 1 hour. Not too shabby. Congrats! How did it feel when you finished? And how was it the next day? Did the race follow a paved or unpaved course?

I used to run when I was in school, high school & college, cross country and track. I liked middle distance races, the half mile and mile. Today that would be 800 and 1500 meters. In college we ran 6 mile (9.7 km) races in cross country, and I hated it. The best runners were doing 6 miles well under 30 minutes, even below 28. I wasn't anywhere near that fast. I barely could think a race through if it was under 5 minutes, never mind over such a long distance. I don't remember any of my 6 mile times, as I was usually near the end of the pack. It signaled an early end to my running career. By the spring of my 2nd year in college, I was retired to the north 40. I wasn't even competitive at the mile or half mile on a mediocre college track team.

It was a paved street course, relatively flat - just a couple of sections of gentle incline - with a gentle decline over the last couple of klicks, where I gave 'er whatever I could muster. I actually felt pretty good after finishing, but my calves were pretty tight the next day. Feeling better today. As I mentioned, the minimalist footwear requires a forefoot strike, where the calf muscles absorb the impact, rather than the heels and knees.

I like the idea of trail running, but I ain't the most coordinated guy in the world. I'd probably trip and break my neck within the first 100m.

I can't imagine seeing anyone breaking 28 minutes over 10km! I couldn't sprint that fast! The fastest runners in my race did very low 30's, but nobody broke through it. I just want to challenge myself and I'll be happy with any new PB's.

2channel lover

At my age, I have no ambition to break 40 minutes, but I will certainly be aiming to break 50. We'll see how that goes. I also have a waterrower, which I use to vary up my exercise routines. Thanks for the encouragement!
40 mins took me 10 or 12 times to break as a 21/22 y/o...trust me, you're doing excellent!

2channel lover

Anyone running 10 km distance at any time deserves applause. You ran it at age 54 with a time under 1 hour. Not too shabby.

That's excellent in my book....as I mentioned to OP, 40 mins was something I strived for at 21 y/o...I wouldn't even attempt a 10k today.

My daughter bought me a fitbit watchband for my birthday and on avg. I do about 4500 or so steps. (I know, not much), but when I go play golf...I'm getting in about 10-12k steps.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Well my injuries, knees, right shoulder dislocated three times. Lower back injuries bulged disc. Severely sprained both of my ankles many times. Not to mention hand injuries, list is a long one.
I have no disk in 4 vertebrate in my neck can't feel my feet an one finger hennated disk lower back, I know how you feel, except in my foor and finger :D

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Oh okay, my bad, but still yeah she carried you on the medical with the Army. PTS huh? There are two different types. One's PTS the other PTSD. Ones inherited the other is Post dated. Now before anyone goes off on me, No I'm not a Doctor. But I've done a lot of research into that, post-traumatic stress disease and post-traumatic stress. Both have very similar symptoms but or not totally the same. One can be inherited through your family genes the other can be post trauma inherited.
Hers is trauma related she gets pretty messed up if she stops taking her meds thats why shes in the hospital now, should be coming home this week, or at least I hope so anyway.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Hers is trauma related she gets pretty messed up if she stops taking her meds thats why shes in the hospital now, should be coming home this week, or at least I hope so anyway.
Oh man, from what I have been told herniated disc is the worst of the worst back injuries and yours is neck related. Besides being a paraplegic from a back injury. Best wishes to you and your wife bro. Your definitely dealing with a lot.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hope things get better for you guys. One thing I can't stand is when vets don't get the care that they absolutely deserve for protecting us. I've had too many friends choose the permanent solution. Us non military can't understand what they've been through and what coming back to "normal" life does to them.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Hope things get better for you guys. One thing I can't stand is when vets don't get the care that they absolutely deserve for protecting us. I've had too many friends choose the permanent solution. Us non military can't understand what they've been through and what coming back to "normal" life does to them.
Thanks for that, she came home yesterday and seems to be her old self. So I'm alot less stressed ouy now. As long as she stays on her meds she ok.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for that, she came home yesterday and seems to be her old self. So I'm alot less stressed ouy now. As long as she stays on her meds she ok.
That's very important. Too many people think that because they've been fine for a while that they don't need their meds. They neglect to think that the meds are why they're fine. Very important to tell them that in case they want to stop their meds.

Glad to hear she's doing better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis