Just ran my first race yesterday...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
...at the age of 54 - 10 km in 52:27. I knew I could quite comfortably do it in 55:00, so anything under that was a bonus. I think I've got the bug now, so I'll probably enter more and see if I can lower that time. Of note - to me, at least - I didn't see any other runner wearing Vibram VFF's.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
...at the age of 54 - 10 km in 52:27. I knew I could quite comfortably do it in 55:00, so anything under that was a bonus. I think I've got the bug now, so I'll probably enter more and see if I can lower that time. Of note - to me, at least - I didn't see any other runner wearing Vibram VFF's.
At least you didn't run it wearing brown loafers.

In all seriousness, congrats! that's hard work to get to that point.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I use yo run some track in school, took 2nd place in the 880, or was it the 440? Plus some football, and Band. Oh to be young again, with good knees! At 54 your doing good, don't stop now you'll feel better plus you'll have a lot more endurance. Exercise does wonders for the body and mind.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The only good thing about my left knee being torn up enough I can't run is that I no longer have to make up any excuses about why I won't run. I've always hated running.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The only good thing about my left knee being torn up enough I can't run is that I no longer have to make up any excuses about why I won't run. I've always hated running.
Bad enough that you can't have brisk walks?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats! Good to get out there and just be healthy.

We do 2 or 3 events regularly every year. Bay to Breakers is probably the biggest people-wise, 12K through SF and we've been doing it for around 5 or 6 years straight. A few weeks ago we did a 6K that goes along the Santa Cruz coast called Wharf to Wharf, and every Jan we do another 5K in Golden Gate park (it is cold) called The Hot Chocolate Run. Lots of fun and a bit of exercise to boot.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I can do walks well, on a flat surface. But if I walk on uneven ground like in grass, my knee implant will sometimes pinch a muscle near it. That hurt like getting a shot with one of those 6" needles. The more I exercise the less pain and swelling I have around it. Now my right knee it's worn out, I partially tore my PCL in the right leg. Never got it fixed, that was back in 2007, and me being overweight doesn't help any. I had fluid just below the kneecap on the right side of the knee which is where that PCL is at. Plus I'm sure there isn't much cartilage left in that knee. Moral of this post is, take very good care of your knees! Stay at a good weight, don't lift more than you have to. Remember everything you pick up all the weight ends up on your hips, knees and ankles. Lose you knee mobility and you could end up in a wheelchair or with a artificial knee implant.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
We're similar age...I applaud the effort!

After entering maybe 15 events over a 3 yr period...I finally broke 40 min...and abruptly quit running. My goal was to break 40 min and once I did, I had no more desires, no more goals, I never set foot in another road race. I was 21-22 y/o then...now at 56 with a right knee that won't take the pounding...I would do good to walk a 10K without this knee swelling up!

Go get'em!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure how to define brisk. I can walk at a normal-quick pace. I envy people who can run, now that it's not an option.
What I mean with a brisk walk is the quick pace where you are not running but still getting a good work out and even feel some acid in your legs when walking uphill. I certainly understand your envy as I myself no longer run because I'm too prone to damage, so walk it is.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
That's why I swim... two miles a day... 4-5 times per week!

(For me, it was my ankles and plantar fasciitis that ended my runs along the Sea Wall in Pacifica, oh so many years ago now.)
So...umm you gotta swimming pool in the backyard? Parties at his house, I got the cold 12 pack, who's bringing the chicken wings?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We're similar age...I applaud the effort!

After entering maybe 15 events over a 3 yr period...I finally broke 40 min...and abruptly quit running. My goal was to break 40 min and once I did, I had no more desires, no more goals, I never set foot in another road race. I was 21-22 y/o then...now at 56 with a right knee that won't take the pounding...I would do good to walk a 10K without this knee swelling up!

Go get'em!
I started running about 20 years ago, when I started putting on the poundage. The first couple of months were murder, but I kept it up. I had no real interest in running races, but my neighbour, who is really into it convinced me to give it a shot. It was a lot of fun and we're planning on doing another one soon.

I've been quite fortunate with my knees, which don't bother me whatsoever. Even when I was carrying a few extra pounds, it wasn't an excessive amount, so there wasn't that much extra stress on my joints. Plus, when I transitioned to the VFF's and a forefoot strike, I believe it reduced much of the impact force from my joints. It took a while to strengthen my calves and Achilles tendons, but I have no regrets. Plus, I'm at an age where I don't really care how I look when I run.

I'll be looking into a more structured running program so that I'll be able to reduce my times.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I couldn't run if I was on fire only one leg or at least only one real leg :oops:

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Congrats! Good to get out there and just be healthy.

We do 2 or 3 events regularly every year. Bay to Breakers is probably the biggest people-wise, 12K through SF and we've been doing it for around 5 or 6 years straight. A few weeks ago we did a 6K that goes along the Santa Cruz coast called Wharf to Wharf, and every Jan we do another 5K in Golden Gate park (it is cold) called The Hot Chocolate Run. Lots of fun and a bit of exercise to boot.
West coast guy huh? I've always wanted to take a train to the west coast. See the Golden gate bridge live and in person and Alcatraz island. Then hop back on a train head up to Seattle Washington. Stay awhile than sneak across the border into Canada. Everyone I know wouldn't miss me anyways. If I got caught by the Canadian police, I'd just say I saw Bigfoot and he was chasing me and I got lost didn't know I crossed the board. Lol

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I couldn't run if I was on fire only one leg or at least only one real leg :oops:
Hey, I seen people do amazing things with one leg. I don't have two real knee's. One titanium knee and one real knee that hurting worse than the titanium one on a good day. I figured at least I can run a figure 8 or in circles still I could probably still get away from a fire if I had to. As long as i don't have to swim in water, cause that titanium knee is heavier a lot heavier than your real knee.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Hey, I seen people do amazing things with one leg. I don't have two real knee's. One titanium knee and one real knee that hurting worse than the titanium one on a good day. I figured at least I can run a figure 8 or in circles still I could probably still get away from a fire if I had to. As long as i don't have to swim in water, cause that titanium knee is heavier a lot heavier than your real knee.
My legs carbon fiber an titanium lighter than my real leg. The leg I have is made for walking they do make one for running but they are expensive. Army paid for this one.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
My legs carbon fiber an titanium lighter than my real leg. The leg I have is made for walking they do make one for running but they are expensive. Army paid for this one.
Wow, that's amazing, I came close to losing my lower left leg. Infection had set in they couldn't stop it. But in the end I made it through. I can relate some what, you being an Army guy and all. Meaning, all though I wasn't dodging bullets or roadside bombs, working in the Gulf of Mexico, flying around in Chopper's sometimes several times a day jumping from production platform to another. Bring some very high pressure oil and gas Wells online was in it self like trying to keep a bomb for going off. I've lost some buddy's out in the Gulf. I thank you for your service my fellow AH member! My body hurts from my service work in the oilfield. The cheapest thing to replace in the oilfield is a human life. Believe me, when a person gets hurt in the oilfield the first thing those oilfield companies do throw them under the bus. They'll stop at nothing to make sure it wasn't their fault. To the point of even threatening other people that where witnesses. Or like me they threatened my family, me and my family if I sued. Best of wishes bro!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis