Just ordered two of these

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Ever check the response without those big speakers in the room? Yeah, they affect it.
I 'listened' to the response without the big speakers and it sounded the same. I think my room overrides such things. In other words, I would have to remove a lot more than those speakers. The two fat sofas have the most profound effect. There is some slight room modes but they are well out of the listening area and the mode is not unfavorable, just different.

I have been listening to a lot of music with bass, but not bass heavy in the lowest hz realm. But with things like an electric standup or a lot of clean, musical bass notes and these subs translate that perfectly with the scale of the speakers they are playing along with.

Really nice sounding system all the way around.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Have you thought about combining the subs with the bookshelfs to make Dalek-shaped towers?
I did think about it but, I can stack all of these subs in my closet on the bottom, and put all my bookshelf speakers on the shelf so I can stash all of these things when using other systems. All of my bookshelf speakers and subwoofers fit in one hall closet with room to spare and they are handy when I want to take them out for a listen.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I 'listened' to the response without the big speakers and it sounded the same. I think my room overrides such things. In other words, I would have to remove a lot more than those speakers. The two fat sofas have the most profound effect. There is some slight room modes but they are well out of the listening area and the mode is not unfavorable, just different.

I have been listening to a lot of music with bass, but not bass heavy in the lowest hz realm. But with things like an electric standup or a lot of clean, musical bass notes and these subs translate that perfectly with the scale of the speakers they are playing along with.

Really nice sounding system all the way around.
No room overrides that. Low frequencies compress the air and that makes things vibrate, including woofer cones. If you put a finger on the cone, you'll feel this. When something vibrates, it's absorbing energy and your room has nothing to do with that, nor can it do anything to prevent it.

You can reduce this by connecting a jumper across the speaker terminals- it shunts the current caused when the cone moves and the magnetic field stops the cone's movement. Some manufacturers (like JBL) used to ship their woofers with a shunt- I don't know if they still do this but it was to prevent damage to the cone in the event that it was dropped.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
No room overrides that. Low frequencies compress the air and that makes things vibrate, including woofer cones. If you put a finger on the cone, you'll feel this. When something vibrates, it's absorbing energy and your room has nothing to do with that, nor can it do anything to prevent it.

You can reduce this by connecting a jumper across the speaker terminals- it shunts the current caused when the cone moves and the magnetic field stops the cone's movement. Some manufacturers (like JBL) used to ship their woofers with a shunt- I don't know if they still do this but it was to prevent damage to the cone in the event that it was dropped.
Well, good. I've just invented the passive room (PRRR)reflection responder. I am sure I could add some passive radiators into some quirky frame and convince the $100/ft cable people why they need as many of these as they can fit in their room. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis