Just ordered the Sony 55X900E!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I ordered the Sony 55X900E yesterday after being between this and LG OLED. For a few reasons I went with the Sony. I've never really experienced 4K other than the occasional quick walk by in Best Buy or Walmart. I recently bought the Sony UBP-800 to go with this 4K LED. Again I have never seen 4K Blu-Ray or HDR. What does everyone think of this particular LED? I'm super excited, I have always loved Sony TV's. My current Sony LCD is 10 years old and going strong.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the Sony 55X900E yesterday after being between this and LG OLED. For a few reasons I went with the Sony. I've never really experienced 4K other than the occasional quick walk by in Best Buy or Walmart. I recently bought the Sony UBP-800 to go with this 4K LED. Again I have never seen 4K Blu-Ray or HDR. What does everyone think of this particular LED? I'm super excited, I have always loved Sony TV's. My current Sony LCD is 10 years old and going strong.
It is actually a LCD unit with led backlight. Comparing the 900e to my Pioneer Elite Plasma, it actually competes quite well. From what I can see, to top this set you will have to go with the much more expensive OLED types.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It is actually a LCD unit with led backlight. Comparing the 900e to my Pioneer Elite Plasma, it actually competes quite well. From what I can see, to top this set you will have to go with the much more expensive OLED types.
Yeah exactly, I didn't want to pay the premium for OLED and I was worried about burn in reports. Then I read OLED was losing its brightness quickly. Probably overblown but for the much money I didn't want to take a chance. I think I'm gonna be very happy with this decision. That is a very great compliment that it competes well with your pioneer elite plasma, they were known as the best on the market back then right?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah exactly, I didn't want to pay the premium for OLED and I was worried about burn in reports. Then I read OLED was losing its brightness quickly. Probably overblown but for the much money I didn't want to take a chance. I think I'm gonna be very happy with this decision. That is a very great compliment that it competes well with your pioneer elite plasma, they were known as the best on the market back then right?

It is definitely a great unit that is tough to beat at any price, but you may have to play with the settings unless you happen to like the default settings. The Elite was indeed considered the best at the time mainly because of it's deep black. The Sony could come close even in black level if you find the right setting.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I got one. Obviously a crisp picture and looks pretty good with 4K content. I use an X box for playback. Mine is a couple years old so hopefully Sony fixed the leaking that occurs in the corners. Get a calibration disc if you want to get the most from it. I’m hoping for a Black Friday sale on their OLED.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys. I actually have friend with the same TV, and a extremely similar room that has his professionally calibrated that have me his settings. Will it be exact, probably not 100% but we'll see what it looks like. His room is nearly exact though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys. I actually have friend with the same TV, and a extremely similar room that has his professionally calibrated that have me his settings. Will it be exact, probably not 100% but we'll see what it looks like. His room is nearly exact though.

Congrats, that sounds like a great TV!
I'm a little cynical!
I would also be sure to vet the outfit that provided the professional calibration. Unfortunately, there are some sketchy outfits that will hang the TV and play with the settings and pretend they reached perfection so they can charge extra or at least convince the buyer they got a great package deal with the setup.
Considering your investment, a calibration disc may still be a worthwhile addition.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Congrats, that sounds like a great TV!
I'm a little cynical!
I would also be sure to vet the outfit that provided the professional calibration. Unfortunately, there are some sketchy outfits that will hang the TV and play with the settings and pretend they reached perfection so they can charge extra or at least convince the buyer they got a great package deal with the setup.
Considering your investment, a calibration disc may still be a worthwhile addition.
Exactly Kurt. You can find a cal disc on amazon for $20-30 bucks. Takes about an hour. It ain’t rocket science either. You’ll lear a lot about your TV.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Exactly Kurt. You can find a cal disc on amazon for $20-30 bucks. Takes about an hour. It ain’t rocket science either. You’ll lear a lot about your TV.
Yeah I really hate going through that calibration process. Same with audio, love YPAO and then make some adjustments. I might go through it though because, well, I'm insane when it comes to getting the best out money spent.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Yeah I really hate going through that calibration process. Same with audio, love YPAO and then make some adjustments. I might go through it though because, well, I'm insane when it comes to getting the best out money spent.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd edition blu-ray calibration disc. I looked at the reviews and this seems to be best one. Somewhere Gene DeLasala did a video on this too. I’ll loan you mine if you want it. Cheers.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have the 65" version paid a little 1300+tax so no brainer. My suggestion is check the web for ideal picture settings, I think calibration is a waste of money, when you can do the research and do it yourself.

You will be happy with this TV, I have always had Sony TV's I sold my XBR4 to a coworker for $200.00 great LCD TV that has been working perfectly since 2008 I have the 850C and another 55inch Sony in the bedroom.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have the 65" version paid a little 1300+tax so no brainer. My suggestion is check the web for ideal picture settings, I think calibration is a waste of money, when you can do the research and do it yourself.

You will be happy with this TV, I have always had Sony TV's I sold my XBR4 to a coworker for $200.00 great LCD TV that has been working perfectly since 2008 I have the 850C and another 55inch Sony in the bedroom.
Yeah I would never pay for calibration, no way when I can like you said research and find great settings. I have a 10+ year old Sony LCD that was one of the best of it's time. How much of a noticeable upgrade and difference well see here? Of course excluding 4k which I don't have now. Overall how much of a step up am I making? I really hope dark scenes look knock better. Thanks for the post.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd edition blu-ray calibration disc. I looked at the reviews and this seems to be best one. Somewhere Gene DeLasala did a video on this too. I’ll loan you mine if you want it. Cheers.
Thanks for the post. Yeah maybe I'll try this cal. disc out. I think I saw his review actually.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I am not sure if he can access all the setting, but whatever you could, if you punch in his professionally calibrated ones, it will be a great starting point.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I am not sure if he can access all the setting, but whatever you could, if you punch in his professionally calibrated ones, it will be a great starting point.
Yeah your exactly right. I thought about that and I don't think I can enter them exactly but it's a good starting point. I agree.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I have two Sony 4k sets...a 900 series 65" and 800 series 55".

As LCD/LED sets go...imo you go for the brightness of Samsung or the more natural looking picture of Sony or LG...LG falls way short of the Sony picture until you get into OLED TVs...my brother n law has returned his LG OLED due to burn in issues and decided on a Samsung Ks9000.

I think you did well...the OS on the Sony I liked much better than the Samsung. Light bleed is the concern a lot of people had with Sony...no issue with the 800 series, I bought 900c knowing it had the light bleed problem...bottom left corner in a dark room with a dark screen you can see it...For $1300 shipped...I'm fine with that flaw, for a TV that was $2k+ 6 mos earlier....2 yrs later...working great. I think they have finally solve the light bleed issues with the panels in the new 900 series TVs.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

As LCD/LED sets go...imo you go for the brightness of Samsung or the more natural looking picture of Sony or LG...LG falls way short of the Sony picture until you get into OLED TVs...my brother n law has returned his LG OLED due to burn in issues and decided on a Samsung Ks9000.

I think you did well...the OS on the Sony I liked much better than the Samsung. Light bleed is the concern a lot of people had with Sony...no issue with the 800 series, I bought 900c knowing it had the light bleed problem...bottom left corner in a dark room with a dark screen you can see it...For $1300 shipped...I'm fine with that flaw, for a TV that was $2k+ 6 mos earlier....2 yrs later...working great. I think they have finally solve the light bleed issues with the panels in the new 900 series TVs.
Than you for posting, I feel even better about my decision now. I really feel I made the right call here. Those issues did scare, plus the price. This was too good a deal to pass up. No price talk but I did very, very well and am happy. Than you again for posting

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Than you for posting, I feel even better about my decision now. I really feel I made the right call here. Those issues did scare, plus the price. This was too good a deal to pass up. No price talk but I did very, very well and am happy. Than you again for posting

Congrats...no problem...pricing is more sensitive on the newer TVs, but the E has been around a while...probably time to knock something off I'm sure.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

I wasn't aware of the light bleed problem. I have 0 light bleed on mine or my 850C

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I wasn't aware of the light bleed problem. I have 0 light bleed on mine or my 850C
I had never heard of till the other day and to be honest I don't understand exactly what it is. I'm not the most critical viewer either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis