Just how powerful are those magnets? (influence on top of subwoofer)

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking at temporarily moving some equipment on top of some subwoofers. Obviously this would be a potentially vibration issue, but let's assume they're only run very low. What I'm more worried about is the large magnets from the 15" drivers. If I put a laptop on top of these, for example, am I likely to have problems? Other electronics? How likely are the driver magnets to end up causing issues with electronics that are on top of the subwoofers?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Anything on top of a 15" sub should normally be at least 8 inches away from the driver's magnet. There shouldn't be any troublesome magnetic interference caused by the subwoofer, unless you install an old TV set with a cathode ray screen tube.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking at temporarily moving some equipment on top of some subwoofers. Obviously this would be a potentially vibration issue, but let's assume they're only run very low. What I'm more worried about is the large magnets from the 15" drivers. If I put a laptop on top of these, for example, am I likely to have problems? Other electronics? How likely are the driver magnets to end up causing issues with electronics that are on top of the subwoofers?
or just don't put anything that'll make your sub do crazy things or you may be like this.
72FD47F2-929D-45CA-AD01-053DDD0D3665.gif

Really Though what
Verdinut said. or any old VHS tapes or old Polaroid pictures. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What sub are we talking about here? The motor structures on 15"s can have a very wide range of magnetic flux.

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
I'm not running the subs while I have stuff on them. I'll find another solution as soon as I can. :) Thanks, all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis