Just found another DIY blog

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I found some good info there. I guess it serves a marketing purpose also but so does the Tech Talk forum.

Jim

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
OTOH, I was underwhelmed by the speaker tweaks post. Just sayin'

Jim

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like quite a few pointless electronics snake oil mods going on...... and the hi-fi tweaks page made me wonder if the author was in fact 'tweaking' as he typed it out... :eek:

-Chris

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
I don't think they are snake oil at all. I've been reading some of those projects and they are created by people who have had positive experiences with those DIY products. They were not and surely cannot be all cooked up by Burson Audio.

Those HD opamps for example are well reviewed all over the joint, so I don't think they are snake oil.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I don't think they are snake oil at all. I've been reading some of those projects and they are created by people who have had positive experiences with those DIY products. They were not and surely cannot be all cooked up by Burson Audio.

Those HD opamps for example are well reviewed all over the joint, so I don't think they are snake oil.
Sorry to inform you, but a majority of people believing something is no substitute for proof. Most of such mods listed on that site have no basis in credible perceptual research/perception.

-Chris

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
I consider myself an audiophile and yes, I do modify my equipment every now and then. I can hear different improvements bought about by different modifications, absolutely. Am I crazy, absolutely not. Do I believe in "things that does not exist"? No. I make my money one day at a time and will never throw it away lightly.

Many of my friends are also into modifying their soundcards, CD players and cables. Are they all crazy? I don't think so. There are millions of audiophiles out there doing what I do (that is why there is a DIY corner in this forum) Are they all crazy? I don't think so.

Have you tried any of those mods in that blog and other DIY forums? I don't think you have... ;) So, please don't discredit something that you have not tried... Your personal perception is no substitute for proof either.

Peace.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I consider myself an audiophile and yes, I do modify my equipment every now and then. I can hear different improvements bought about by different modifications, absolutely. Am I crazy, absolutely not. Do I believe in "things that does not exist"? No. I make my money one day at a time and will never throw it away lightly.

Many of my friends are also into modifying their soundcards, CD players and cables. Are they all crazy? I don't think so. There are millions of audiophiles out there doing what I do (that is why there is a DIY corner in this forum) Are they all crazy? I don't think so.

Have you tried any of those mods in that blog and other DIY forums? I don't think you have... ;) So, please don't discredit something that you have not tried... Your personal perception is no substitute for proof either.

Peace.
I never stated the first thing about MY perception. But these snake oil issues apply to everyone's 'perception'; no one is immune. This is very basic subject, and it's beyond the scope to be discussed in detail here. You can find relevant posts elsewhere on this forum, however, that detail the psychological issues.

Such of most mods listed do not have any credible support. That is, no test results using proper, biased controlled double blinded testing. Hell, I can do sighted testing and get most people to 'hear' a difference with a blue vs. yellow RCA cable, all other things being equal. So what does that prove?

Historically, proper biased controlled, level matched, double-blinded testings result in most claims of audibility based on 'fantastic' claims, to result in scores no better than 'random'. Any such test that actually scores positive, has been shown to have direct measurable results that coorelate with known human audibility thresholds.

If you can not show a measurable difference that is large enough to correlate with human audibility, then there is zero reason to believe the claims are nothing more than perceived illusion(s).

You seem to be at the wrong forum if you insist on persisting with such claims here; this forum does not readily accept wild claims such as the ones made about the mods listed. This forum community generally prefers more substantial information.

-Chris

Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
Anyone who's contemplating 'modding' or spending exorbitant amounts of cash on the so called 'high end' should browse through the Matrix-HiFi: Blind Listening Tests, typically the only audible differences to be found are when Valves are inserted into the chain.

It's also advisable to listen to someone who's 'Dedicated to improving the real[quantifiable] parameters of sound reproduction.' ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I wonder how they test their mods. How credible are their methods and protocols. Self reporting can be very unreliable, after all. I saw a steel rod being bent by placing it in a 5 gal can of water. Am I fooling myself? I saw it.
Stereophile well reviews most audio in their rag. So what. One must always carry their baloney detection bag. :D

D

dllb

Audiophyte
The thing is, 99.999% of people don't have a clue about their natural, illusion-based, psychological weaknesses (the rest of the population is using this knowledge to manipulate them). It's easy to learn about it though. Just read the latest best-seller books on Marketing. Then you won't trust your judgment again! :)

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
It is a free contry! and you have the option.

The thing is, 99.999% of people don't have a clue about their natural, illusion-based, psychological weaknesses (the rest of the population is using this knowledge to manipulate them). It's easy to learn about it though. Just read the latest best-seller books on Marketing. Then you won't trust your judgment again! :)
Well, marketing is everywhere that is true. Do you see the banner flashing on top of this forum? Well, you have the option to look away. At lease the blog is providing some free info. I like that better than flashing banner that is for sure.

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
I still don't think you should discredit people's IQ in such a way.

I've been following this blog for a while now and have tried their audio buffer. Is it worth the money? Yes. : ) Can I hear the improvement? Absolutely!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis