KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just wanted to add that by most accounts DefTech sound pretty good, but if any of your decision process is based on their specifications, think again!
For example, the DefTech BP-9040 claims to have a FR down to 22Hz from its 8" woofer!
I call BS (true that the driver might move at 22Hz, but it will not produce a loud and clean sound at 22Hz).
For comparison, the Ultra tower uses dual 8" woofers and only claims 28Hz. I would expect SVS to get as much bass as is possible without compromising sound quality.

IOW, if you have heard DefTech and they float your boat, go for it, but don't trust any numbers they publish (well, maybe the dimensions and weight)!

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
I just wanted to add that by most accounts DefTech sound pretty good, but if any of your decision process is based on their specifications, think again!
For example, the DefTech BP-9040 claims to have a FR down to 22Hz from its 8" woofer!
I call BS (true that the driver might move at 22Hz, but it will not produce a loud and clean sound at 22Hz).
For comparison, the Ultra tower uses dual 8" woofers and only claims 28Hz. I would expect SVS to get as much bass as is possible without compromising sound quality.

IOW, if you have heard DefTech and they float your boat, go for it, but don't trust any numbers they publish (well, maybe the dimensions and weight)!
I didn’t look at the numbers. I heard them at a Best Buy and they sounded great. It’s just no where near me to hear the SVS. I’m just trying to maybe buy my last pair of speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t look at the numbers. I heard them at a Best Buy and they sounded great. It’s just no where near me to hear the SVS. I’m just trying to maybe buy my last pair of speakers.
An audition at a BB may not tell you much about a speaker either. The free in-home trial SVS offers will put them where it counts....in your room.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
No one should swear they're buying their "last pair of speakers" until they're over 70 and flat broke. I'm getting closer. :D

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
An audition at a BB may not tell you much about a speaker either. The free in-home trial SVS offers will put them where it counts....in your room.
I agree. Since it’s easier to get and return the Def Techs, I decided to try them tonight. Next week, I’ll might return them and order the SVSs and try them.

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
No one should swear they're buying their "last pair of speakers" until they're over 70 and flat broke. I'm getting closer. :D
Lol. Kids and grandkids are helping with the second part.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll be shocked if you prefer the Deftechs.

This is a big sticking point for me as well. There is simply no way you're getting anything meaningful below about 30 hz or so out of that 8" driver. Probably less.

SVS publishes specs down to 28 hz for the towers and I've measured them. In my room they're actually pretty solid down to about 25 hz! Things drop off very quickly after that, but at east you can count on their published specs to be honest.

Yes, I love SVS and I'm being a shill... lol :p

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
I'll be shocked if you prefer the Deftechs.

This is a big sticking point for me as well. There is simply no way you're getting anything meaningful below about 30 hz or so out of that 8" driver. Probably less.

SVS publishes specs down to 28 hz for the towers and I've measured them. In my room they're actually pretty solid down to about 25 hz! Things drop off very quickly after that, but at east you can count on their published specs to be honest.

Yes, I love SVS and I'm being a shill... lol :p
I think I can demo the SVS 75 miles away. If I can I might pilgrimage it on Friday

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I can demo the SVS 75 miles away. If I can I might pilgrimage it on Friday
Just order them from SVS, they have complete round trip freight if you don't like them....a free in-home trial up to 45 days! True, you do have to pay for them during the time you have them but money back otherwise. Cost of gas/time worth it?

Kevin Poirier

Kevin Poirier

Audioholic Intern
Just order them from SVS, they have complete round trip freight if you don't like them....a free in-home trial up to 45 days! True, you do have to pay for them during the time you have them but money back otherwise. Cost of gas/time worth it?
I know. It’s my stupid brain. It never shuts off with what if’s. I have to Friday to think and change my mind.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis