JTR Speakers Captivator RS1 Subwoofer Review

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@shadyJ , Either JTR has a typo on their spec sheet or I don't know what I thought I knew :eek:!!!
  • Driver: ultra-low distortion 18″ subwoofer with 35.5mm Xmax each way, +4″ peak to peak
So, don't you just add Xmax each way to get the peak to peak value?
If so, the peak to peak value is 71mm which is a little shy of 3"!
4" would require ~101.6mm (rounding to 25.4mm = 1" for conversion calc)
Don't get me wrong, 3" is impressive, but it's not 4"!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ , Either JTR has a typo on their spec sheet or I don't know what I thought I knew :eek:!!!

So, don't you just add Xmax each way to get the peak to peak value?
If so, the peak to peak value is 71mm which is a little shy of 3"!
4" would require ~101.6mm (rounding to 25.4mm = 1" for conversion calc)
Don't get me wrong, 3" is impressive, but it's not 4"!
'Peak-to-peak,' as it is often quoted, uses Xmech, not Xmax. Xmax is one-way linear throw; how far the driver can travel in one direction in a controlled manner. Xmech is the sheer physical maximum one-way throw before the driver is mechanically limited. So 'peak-to-peak' almost always means Xmech x 2.

B

Bula

Audiophyte
Among home theater enthusiasts, JTR Speakers has carved a name out itself as the go-to subwoofer manufacturer for high-output at ultra-low frequencies. If you want serious bass in the lowest part of the audible frequency spectrum, JTR Speakers is the first name that crops up in any discussion of capable brands. It was that reputation for deep bass performance that made me leap at a chance to review a JTR subwoofer, and in for review today we have the Captivator RS1. The Captivator RS1 is the smallest sub that JTR makes, but that doesn’t mean it is a weakling. With a high-excursion 18” woofer and a 2,400-watt amplifier, this “entry-level” sub from JTR is far more powerful than the flagship subs from most other subwoofer manufacturers. At $2,600, the RS1 is not an inexpensive sub, so what is it doing that commands that kind of price tag? Read our full review to find out!
View attachment 38690
READ: JTR Captivator RS1 Subwoofer Review
Hi.
Can the Review be updated to say that you can get nicer finishes such as real wood veneers and lacquer finishes by paying a little extra.
The Cons list will also need to be amended.
I have just paid for one that is now being shipped soon with a real wood finish.
Thanks.

N

nerdoldnerdith

Audiophyte
Are you able to post a compression graph showing the dB deviation from baseline the way data-bass does?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are you able to post a compression graph showing the dB deviation from baseline the way data-bass does?
I am able, just not willing. The relevant data is in the response graphs. The deviation graphs just show the magnitude of compression itself, but that can be seen in the responses anyway. It's the same information but just in a more difficult to read form.

N

nerdoldnerdith

Audiophyte
I'm trying to compare them to the Funk subs, which are designed to have less than +/-1dB of compression in their rated spec. It's kind of hard to analyze these graphs with that level of resolution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis