John Wick 3: Very Quick Review

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think some theaters have trained monkeys running the gear and my mom could do better lol. Also, IMO it’s hard to implement a great experience for a theater full of people. Ask @ADTG about his experience in a commercial atmos cinema vs home.

I think Andrew will agree with me. DO NOT write off Atmos due to a mediocre experience at the local theater. It’s head and shoulders above any legacy surround formats. That’s my experience anyway.
Yes. Until proven otherwise by experience, I think commercial Atmos cinemas are pathetic compared to HOME Atmos.

This is another life’s IRONY. I think they made Atmos to make the commercial cinemas better than HT. But in the end, they just made HOME theater 100% better than commercial cinemas. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Bullets. Surely there’s got to be some aircraft flying somewhere or cars crashing overhead. :D

At least thunder and rain.

So many things could sound overhead. Look at “The Equalizer”. All kinds of overhead action.

Even “The Quick and the Dead” remastered in Atmos has bullets, rain, and thunder overhead.
Well, after I see it then I will have a different opinion.;) :D
But of course all those needs to be in the Atmos tracks.
You think of everything. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, after I see it then I will have a different opinion.;):D
But of course all those needs to be in the Atmos tracks.
You think of everything. :D
Well, I think I’ve seen just about every example of Overhead sound effects after watching many Atmos and DTSX movies. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Saw it over the weekend. INSANE, non stop action. I liked it. Story a bit thin compared to first one, but makes up for it with action.

Atmos is affected by where you sit. Not all theaters are doing it right. My experience with it in theaters is spotty, so sometimes it works and others it does not achieve the effect even in Dolby Cinema theaters. Some movies are better than others at it. The craziest Atmos movie I've seen so far was The Conjuring 2.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Really enjoyed John Wick 3 in 4K UHD HDR10. I’m in a 5.1 but I’m planning out a 5.1.4 install soon

Anyhow, this is the first movie that had me wanting to upgrade from my 65in to an 82in. It’s an awesome action flick! Enter the Dragon style. :)

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
IMHO Atmos is best for obvious situations like airplanes, wind, rains, and some battle scenes.
I don’t have much experience with neuralx.
Isn’t neural X just faking Atmos sort of like 5.1 came out in DTS you could matrix it for 7.1 ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Isn’t neural X just faking Atmos sort of like 5.1 came out in DTS you could matrix it for 7.1 ?
You could say that. Dolby has DSU which upmixes to use height speakers and dts uses dts-neural X. In short, they do the same thing by using all the available speakers but just use differing approaches. Conversely you can also use dtsnx on a DD track although Dolby had a pee pee party trying to disallow dtsnx upmixing of their tracks. Not sure where that’s at now...

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
A slaughterfest. Just killing from beginning to (I assume) end. I didnt watch all of it. Maybe they could have a counter in one corner that tics off every kill (maybe with a chime or bell).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis