John Wick 3: Very Quick Review

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
1. Go See It!
Take all the action from John Wick 1&2, take it a step up, and don't stop the action at any time. It was mindless fun, with a basic story with tons of action. It even plays tribute a bit to Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon and Game of Death.

I enjoyed it, the fight scenes are a step of from the previous 2 movies and that's says a lot!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I saw it at a Harkins theatre in Dolby Atmos. Movie long on action, short on story line. Halle Berry doesn’t hurt!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw it at a Harkins theatre in Dolby Atmos. Movie long on action, short on story line. Halle Berry doesn’t hurt!
Could you actually hear any OVERHEAD sound effects or just the usual surround effects NOT from the ceiling? :D

Reason I ask is because I have JWick 1 and 2 in Atmos. But there’s not much overhead sound effects.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I remember a few scenes where I could hear the audio overhead, but can’t remember many scenes that would have called for overhead sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I remember a few scenes where I could hear the audio overhead, but can’t remember many scenes that would have called for overhead sound.
Sounds about right. :D

Why they even bother calling it Atmos? :D

Using NeuralX will sound better. :D

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
IMHO Atmos is best for obvious situations like airplanes, wind, rains, and some battle scenes.
I don’t have much experience with neuralx.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Going Tuesday! We really loved the first 2 movies.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMHO Atmos is best for obvious situations like airplanes, wind, rains, and some battle scenes.
I don’t have much experience with neuralx.
Something I enjoy about Atmos is sound being phantom imaged into the room. To me Atmos is much more than helicopters and rain(although that IS fun). When I’m watching ninja turtles and shredder shoots his crazy knife things out and they come back to him, I can hear them go right past my head. I guess to me the helicopters and stuff is low hanging fruit that SHOULD be part of any decent soundtrack. Also, I like that Atmos seems to erase the walls of my room. Not that it was a “problem” in my room previously, but after Atmos it’s just more realistic I guess.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Bullets flying overhead perhaps?
As I’ve mentioned in the past, it’s much more than that. BUT one good example is in Hacksaw Ridge. When the navy is “softening up” the ridge, there’s some very cool artillery that goes from back to front, overhead, and clearly lands about half way between the top of my display and my ceiling. This is exactly the imaginary point above screen where the top of hacksaw is. Super convincing. That’s the kind of subtle stuff that to me, is so much cooler than rain and planes and wind. Not downplaying those things. Just sayin it’s much more than that.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I William, it sounds like you are speaking of your HT system, if so, have you been to a commercial theater that offers the same experience?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I William, it sounds like you are speaking of your HT system, if so, have you been to a commercial theater that offers the same experience?
Indeed I am.
My theater is hardly the be all, End all, but I’ve taken great care to get as much out of it as I can and IMO, it’s pretty darn good. in fact I find that the only benefit to my local theater over my own is the screen size. I have experienced other Atmos systems, just not a commercial one. We live in a fairly rural area, and our local theater has 12 screens. They recently installed power leather recliners, but I would much rather they installed atmos and better bass capabilities.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
This was my first experience with Atmos. The screen was enormous, the sound was way better than The AMC Dolby theatre that I frequent. Better, but other than a few scenes I didn’t hear the greatness or Atmos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This was my first experience with Atmos. The screen was enormous, the sound was way better than The AMC Dolby theatre that I frequent. Better, but other than a few scenes I didn’t hear the greatness or Atmos.
I think some theaters have trained monkeys running the gear and my mom could do better lol. Also, IMO it’s hard to implement a great experience for a theater full of people. Ask @ADTG about his experience in a commercial atmos cinema vs home.

I think Andrew will agree with me. DO NOT write off Atmos due to a mediocre experience at the local theater. It’s head and shoulders above any legacy surround formats. That’s my experience anyway.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As I’ve mentioned in the past, it’s much more than that. BUT one good example is in Hacksaw Ridge. When the navy is “softening up” the ridge, there’s some very cool artillery that goes from back to front, overhead, and clearly lands about half way between the top of my display and my ceiling. This is exactly the imaginary point above screen where the top of hacksaw is. Super convincing. That’s the kind of subtle stuff that to me, is so much cooler than rain and planes and wind. Not downplaying those things. Just sayin it’s much more than that.
Yes, but Wick didn't have artillery ;) just a bunch of hand weapons by the gang.:)
I am not downplaying Atmos at all but it all depends on film content. Wick perhaps is not the best film to demo Atmos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, but Wick didn't have artillery ;) just a bunch of hand weapons by the gang.:)
I am not downplaying Atmos at all but it all depends on film content. Wick perhaps is not the best film to demo Atmos.
Maybe, maybe not. There definitely different environments, and interiors too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bullets flying overhead perhaps?
Bullets. Surely there’s got to be some aircraft flying somewhere or cars crashing overhead. :D

At least thunder and rain.

So many things could sound overhead. Look at “The Equalizer”. All kinds of overhead action.

Even “The Quick and the Dead” remastered in Atmos has bullets, rain, and thunder overhead.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I pretty much gave up on Atmos based solely on my experience with the commercial Atmos cinemas.

But then I tried it at home and it was a 100% game changer.

Not all so-called Atmos movies (John Wick, all Marvel movies, etc.) have any good overhead sounds. But there are many awesome Atmos movies.

Once you’ve experienced great HOME Atmos sound, you will never go back. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis