JL F113V1s -----> JTR Capitvator 4000 ULF x2 ---- > Funk Audio Ultra LFE x 2 ----- > Seaton Sounds HP + HP Slave/XP21A

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seaton, JTR, and many others offer external amps FWIW.
Oh, good, glad to see them offering externally powered subs. A long time ago when I was shopping for passive subs, I actually emailed both of them about passive subs and neither one offered any.

Who else (many others) offers passive subs?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, good, glad to see them offering externally powered subs. A long time ago when I was shopping for passive subs, I actually emailed both of them about passive subs and neither one offered any.

Who else (many others) offers passive subs?
JBL Synthesis, Klipsch THX, Triad, Legacy, etc..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’d like to add that this might be a good time to dump the JL’s and look at some big ported subs. Fv18’s, fv25’s, 21” models from PSA.
I’m sure you can add a little bit here. Lol.
Unfortunately the FV25HP has been discontinued. I confirmed this with Rythmik. Broke my heart that was going to be my next major buy. The Monith M215 is still out they're at least

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately the FV25 has been discontinued. I confirmed this with Rythmik. Broke my heart that was going to be my next major buy. The Monith M215 is still out they're at least
That is unfortunate to say the least. But good point about the mono. A pair of either of this would be absolutely bonkers. If I had your money, I’d buy four!!!

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
The orbitshifters are more made for midbass at EXTREME levels of output they don't have the low end extension your looking for.

I forgot to ask how big is the room these are going in?
Will grab some measurements when I get home but it is a pretty good sized, recreational room with a stairway leading upstairs, and another downstairs to the basement. Is a split-level home. I have this weird dynamic where my house seems to work like a giant bandpass box and is louder outside my home than it is in the listening room.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
JBL Synthesis, Klipsch THX, Triad, Legacy, etc..
Which Legacy subwoofers come as passive subs? Other than the pro install ceiling mount sub, I don’t see any listed passive subs - they all say they come with internal amps.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Which Legacy subwoofers come as passive subs? Other than the pro install ceiling mount sub, I don’t see any listed passive subs - they all say they come with internal amps.
Any of their subs can be ordered with outboard amps. Most manufacturers of higher end subs have the option. You're not gonna find too many subs under $1500 that have the option, but then again 99% of those customers don't want another 19" price of electroics in their stand or shelve.

So to your point, no you won't find passive subs below a price point typically, and they wouldn't sell the same (costs and other reasons) and yes, finding subs with outboard amplification isn't hard, to whom is a scale of economics and practicality. The only benifits of outboard amps are personal benefits, unless you're dealing with class AB amps.

M

mx416

Audioholic
I’d like to add that this might be a good time to dump the JL’s and look at some big ported subs. Fv18’s, fv25’s, 21” models from PSA.
I’m sure you can add a little bit here. Lol.
I highly suggest a look at the FV18’s as Will has mentioned. Yes they are big and yes i‘m biased. However they are just fantastic subs!:cool:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I highly suggest a look at the FV18’s as Will has mentioned. Yes they are big and yes i‘m biased. However they are just fantastic subs!:cool:
I have 2 in my theater room and I couldn't be happier. They lived up to all of the hype I've heard about them and more.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That is unfortunate to say the least. But good point about the mono. A pair of either of this would be absolutely bonkers. If I had your money, I’d buy four!!!
I know your talking someday about upgrading your subs if you do I have to recommend the FV 18's. Seriously those Rythmik subs are some if the best I've ever heard

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
out of curiosity, do you have the paper or the aluminum cone ones?
I wanted the increase in SPL from what I understand the increase in distortion is way too small to be audible. So for me the extra output with movies was what made me go with paper

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I know your talking someday about upgrading your subs if you do I have to recommend the FV 18's. Seriously those Rythmik subs are some if the best I've ever heard
They are one my shortlist for sure. I also have considered building some devastators. I don’t have a ton of WAF to deal with, but this is my LR, so adding either of those(or any large ported beasts) will be tricky.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wanted the increase in SPL from what I understand the increase in distortion is way too small to be audible. So for me the extra output with movies was what made me go with paper
The cone material by itself really wouldn't be involved in generating distortion. The difference would be the lowered resonant frequency caused by the extra mass of the cone. Heavier cone = lower resonant frequency, which means less distortion in low frequencies, but it also means lowered sensitivity in high frequencies. So by using a heavier cone, you exchange mid-bass headroom for cleaner deep bass and a bit more low-frequency extension. An aluminum cone would normally be heavier than a paper cone. But the idea that a differing cone composition itself could cause more or less distortion in subwoofer band frequencies is nonsense. A subwoofer cone is much too blunt of an instrument for the cone material to matter, so long as it can move the air without bending, and any common woofer material can do that just fine.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The cone material by itself really wouldn't be involved in generating distortion. The difference would be the lowered resonant frequency caused by the extra mass of the cone. Heavier cone = lower resonant frequency, which means less distortion in low frequencies, but it also means lowered sensitivity in high frequencies. So by using a heavier cone, you exchange mid-bass headroom for cleaner deep bass and a bit more low-frequency extension. An aluminum cone would normally be heavier than a paper cone. But the idea that a differing cone composition itself could cause more or less distortion in subwoofer band frequencies is nonsense. A subwoofer cone is much too blunt of an instrument for the cone material to matter, so long as it can move the air without bending, and any common woofer material can do that just fine.
Yeah I didn't understand the distortion part but I did want the extra midbass headroom. I have them set to the 16hz tune. I didnt care about the deeper extension. I've never been interested in chasing 10hz I like higher output where more of the content you hear is. Seriously Shady I'm really happy with these FV18's. They sound fantastic paired up with my RBH subs

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I would avoid Seaton these days. Been hearing a lot of rumbling that he's not meeting deliveries or returning calls/emails. Would like to be wrong as he seemed very well respected several years ago.

I like the Harbottle/Funk angle, myself. I think what those two guys are doing is disruptive to the industry in a good way. Apparently Nathan has even commented that Cody's approach to modeling Subs in their LDLC System is too powerful a tool, too good. ;)
That, and I have yet to see or hear a person with a less--than-stellar comment.
Of course, if you want a beautiful Cheery Cabinet, Funk would be the way to go... but I think there is a lot of value in Harbottle Subs.

In the end, I think JTR is still very good, but I don't think they will compare as well as we want them too. Pass on the orbit shifters. ;) Designed for pro support, they will not have the extension you want for HT. They'll be loud as fcuk up above 40Hz, though.
My god who needs that much output ? A massive concert ? End all be all for above 40hz…
I personally don’t understand how anyone Carries a sub over 15” with my back/knee issues I can’t even carry a light sealed 15”.
And now to add handles people say to rip it apart lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Aluminum here. Set with 3 ports open. They are just effortless!
Awesome yeah I have mine set to 3 ports open as well. They are indeed effortless. Congratulations on your purchase

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis