fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Cab 2 getting glued up

Cab 1 ready for trimming and stuffing.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dang your tools look new. Like an Italian war rifle. Never used. Dropped once. :D

I like to lightly sand my biscuits a bit on the leading edges. I think it helps the panels go together a little smoother. Maybe unnecessary but it might make things a little easier, especially if they swelled a tad from humidity.
You can also "nuke" the moisture out of them in the microwave. 20 seconds for a small handful, followed by 10 second increments, checking fit as you go... and also making sure wood is not too hot (as in ready to catch fire).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
After a long hiatus, and probably another long hiatus coming up got a little work done. I sanded, then wiped them down. Not sure if I should start filling, or if I should stuff them and attach the front baffles. I'm also getting ready to start assembling the crossovers. Hopefully I don't f*ck that up since it will be my first attempt at assembling one O dem.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Decision made. First inner baffle going on. I did a dry fit and I can pretty much get to anywhere I need to go with the baffles on. On a negative note, I dropped a mallet on one of the PR's today. Looks pretty gnarly, but hopefully it still works.

On a side note. I need more clamps :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I like the paperweight you have on the floor behind the cabinet there :D

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Very nice- can't wait to hear your listening impressions as I'm about to start on my 2 channel room and will be looking at speaker options.
Cheers, Mac

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Very nice- can't wait to hear your listening impressions as I'm about to start on my 2 channel room and will be looking at speaker options.
Cheers, Mac
You get those impressions sooner rather than later. School just got canceled for the third day in a row. I May be able to trim and stuff these today, put the crossover together and be able to listen to them tomorrow.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You get those impressions sooner rather than later. School just got canceled for the third day in a row. I May be able to trim and stuff these today, put the crossover together and be able to listen to them tomorrow.
Ha. That would be impressive. Do you really think you can stay on task to get all that done?

You will get distracted on the headphone thread and will be lucky to get half of that done today.:D:cool:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ha. That would be impressive. Do you really think you can stay on task to get all that done?

You will get distracted on the headphone thread and will be lucky to get half of that done today.:D:cool:
Fair point. Since I'm already distracted by the mail finally coming and now I'm typing a reply here :D

I did get the solder station all set up though. So that's a positive step.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm super impressed you got those biscuits to line up! That math degree really paid off! :)

Let's see some pic's of your cross over and soldering work. I've seen an external crossover at a DIY meet where the xo parts were on one side of the peg board and the leads went out the other side for routing and soldering. All that was under Plexiglas so you could see the neatly aligned components but not the wire mess on the back of the peg board.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm super impressed you got those biscuits to line up! That math degree really paid off! :)

Let's see some pic's of your cross over and soldering work. I've seen an external crossover at a DIY meet where the xo parts were on one side of the peg board and the leads went out the other side for routing and soldering. All that was under Plexiglas so you could see the neatly aligned components but not the wire mess on the back of the peg board.
I think we both know that when I put this crossover together it's going to look like a 3 year old with a touch of the palsy did it. All I can hope is that I do all the connections correctly so that I don't damage the very expensive drivers. I already f*cked up one of the PR's. So there's that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh ... glass, you solder on glass. I took an electricity/electronics class in high school. That's how they had us do it. Solder doesn't stick to glass.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Fair point. Since I'm already distracted by the mail finally coming and now I'm typing a reply here :D

I did get the solder station all set up though. So that's a positive step.

Talk about setting yourself up for failure.

A solder station set up in front of a TV and on carpet. You will have some 'splaining to do to the women when you f*^ck up that carpet.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oh ... glass, you solder on glass. I took an electricity/electronics class in high school. That's how they had us do it. Solder doesn't stick to glass.
Talk about setting yourself up for failure.

A solder station set up in front of a TV and on carpet. You will have some 'splaining to do to the women when you f*^ck up that carpet.
Nah, it'll be fine. Knock on wood, but I've soldered on carpet many times and have yet to mess any carpets up. I should probably turn down the volume though, since it keeps making the sawhorses bounce. :eek:

Got the speaker wire soldered to the tweeters. Time to eat a late lunch then do the woofers. Next I'll map out the crossover and trim the 1/4" plywood. I'll hot glue the crossover components down and solder them into place. I decided mount the crossover externally, in case I ever want to take the system active or in case I want to play with the resistor value. Jeff said 3 ohm is the flattest, but I've also got 1, 3.3, 3.6, and 3.9 to try as well if I want.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Progress has predictably slowed as I await the glue to dry on the second cab before I trim and sand. In the meantime, all drivers now have the internal wiring soldered.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Trimmed and sanded. Thinking I'll go with a chamfer for this build. It's too late to chamfer tonight, I think the sound ordinance starts soon. Plus it would be a little bit of a d!ck move. I guess I'll finally get around to doing the thing I was avoiding aka the crossovers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis