JBL Studio 530. Available and half price! ($299.95)

T

Temptation

Audiophyte
I listened to the "Mahler Symphony No. 6 Finale" (from the Philharmonic Audio Test CD).
For this content, I would go with the R162's! I don't think you would have any regrets listening to it on the 530's, but the overall texture of the Orchestra just seemed more rich/full on the R162.
Being honest, if someone asked if it might be simply that the amount of reflected sound might better mimic a live orchestra, I couldn't argue! After all, string instruments are pretty omni-directional and the R162's are closer to mimicking that presentation than the 530's.
I have a pair of omni-directional Mirage OMD-5's where the drivers fire up into reflective surfaces which are curved and angled to distribute sound in all directions (with a bit more to the front than back). Even though they are not as good of drivers as many of my other speakers, they do a stellar job of presenting string orchestras!

The R162 is not an omni-directional speaker, it is probably average among standard speakers with its modest wave-guide. However, as contrasted with the 530 it definitely has wider dispersion, so I think the same effect could be in play.
OTOH, the little extra nuances I heard on vocals cannot be completely discounted!
HTH!
It helped me a lot. Thank you for your very detailed review! :)

T

Tstew

Audiophyte
I'm curious how the Infinity Interlude Il10's and Il36 center stack up against the JBL 530's and 520 center for HT? I use my surround system for everyday TV watching as well as 4k and Blu Ray player HT stuff. The JBL reviews I've read seam awesome but they may lack some in the vocal mid range

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm curious how the Infinity Interlude Il10's and Il36 center stack up against the JBL 530's and 520 center for HT? I use my surround system for everyday TV watching as well as 4k and Blu Ray player HT stuff. The JBL reviews I've read seam awesome but they may lack some in the vocal mid rang
No experience with the Infinitys, but do use a 520C with my 590s across the front (530s are rear surrounds). I was a bit skeptical at first what with the smaller drivers but with the same cd, it works rather well (I cross it at 120). No particular issues, voices are fine. I'd think it would be closer in capability to the 530 and wouldn't hesitate to use that combo if needed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis