JBL Studio 530. Available and half price! ($299.95)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'll pass on that too :)

The silly wire namedropping was annoying. Not much to the review, tho. I still don't know why he'd call it even partially horn loaded for the bass driver, tho.
Yeah I thought some of it might be relevant to what we were discussing wasn't sure tho. That's why I was hoping for some feedback

M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
If one goes through the Rakuten app there is a 15% cash back promo going for the jbl website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Temptation

Audiophyte
I found review about JBL Studio 530 vs Infinity R162
(http s://slickdeals.net/f/13671737-infinity-reference-home-theater-speaker-sale-161-95?p=132850232#post132850232)

I am also looking forward to @KEW 's review about 530s vs r162s.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I found review about JBL Studio 530 vs Infinity R162
(http s://slickdeals.net/f/13671737-infinity-reference-home-theater-speaker-sale-161-95?p=132850232#post132850232)

I am also looking forward to @KEW 's review about 530s vs r162s.
The link does not seem to work!
I would love to read it!
Unfortunately, the 530 arrive tomorrow afternoon and I will be traveling out of town until Sunday, so won't get to listen to these until next Monday - best case!

T

Temptation

Audiophyte
I would love to read it!
Unfortunately, the 530 arrive tomorrow afternoon and I will be traveling out of town until Sunday, so won't get to listen to these until next Monday - best case!
I don't mind. I am willing to wait :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would love to read it!
You need to remove the space he's inserted in the link for https (in his post it shows as http s).

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I got mine today. They're already unboxed and I'm giving them a spin. Eat your heart out @KEW :p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to see these are still on sale!

Time is tight, but I took about 45 minutes to get a read on the R162 vs 530. Both are very good for the price (when on sale for $200 and $300 respectively), but they each have their own sound signature.
I am toying with the notion that the greater ratio of direct to reflected sound of the 530 simply provides the effect of a lower noise floor by reducing the amount of extraneous reflected sound waves (my room is not treated). As a general rule, one of the dominant differences I hear is that the 530's are a bit clearer and I was thinking "reduced noise floor" before I realized there may be an actual reason for that!
The 530's also have more slam - which I mentioned on the 580 review - the attacks are a bit sharper. Listening to the upright bass being played, the guy on the 530 is plucking the notes a bit more aggressively than on the R162.

OTOH, the character of the sound of a cymbal is more accurate on the R162, as is the timbre of the trombone. So there are trade-offs.

All in all, if using it for HT and if Rock is your thing, the 530 is a no brainer!
If HT and speakeasy jazz trio/quartet (stuff like Melody Gardot's first two albums), I would still go for the 530's!
If only rock music - 530's!
If only speakeasy jazz - R162's.

The above is partly because the slam of the 530's plays well on HT or rock, but also the "lower noise floor effect" becomes more significant when there are more voices crowding into the sound field (resulting in more reflections).

However, I would also say that these two speakers fit into the category of both being good yet having enough difference to be refreshing to switch between.
IOW, if you have two systems, I would prefer to have one (my HT) with the 530's and the other (BR) with the R162! (as opposed to two systems using the same speaker).

I might consider the R162 a bit more sophisticated (but staid) while the 530 leans towards "rowdy" without losing very much competence! :)

Last edited:
Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Thanks for taking the time to give us some insight on these Kurt, especially this time of year! Great to have them compared to the R162's that you regard so well. I feel very similar about my Elac 2.0 B6.2's- these are my assertive acoustic, jazz, fusion, live recording geared speakers. I flip to my other speakers for the indy rock, electronic, HT, and "rowdy" tunes.

T

Temptation

Audiophyte
Glad to see these are still on sale!

Time is tight, but I took about 45 minutes to get a read on the R162 vs 530. Both are very good for the price (when on sale for $200 and $300 respectively), but they each have their own sound signature.
I am toying with the notion that the greater ratio of direct to reflected sound of the 530 simply provides the effect of a lower noise floor by reducing the amount of extraneous reflected sound waves. As a general rule, one of the dominant differences I hear is that the 530's are a bit clearer and I was thinking "reduced noise floor" before I realized there may be an actual reason for that!
The 530's also have more slam - which I mentioned on the 580 review - the attacks are a bit sharper. Listening to the upright bass being played, the guy on the 530 is plucking the notes a bit more aggressively than on the R162.

OTOH, the character of the sound of a cymbal is more accurate on the R162, as is the timbre of the trombone. So there are trade-offs.

All in all, if using it for HT and if Rock is your thing, the 530 is a no brainer!
If HT and speakeasy jazz trio/quartet (stuff like Melody Gardot's first two albums), I would still go for the 530's!
If only rock music - 530's!
If only speakeasy jazz - R162's.

The above is partly because the slam of the 530's plays well on HT or rock, but also the "lower noise floor effect" becomes more significant when there are more voices crowding into the sound field (resulting in more reflections).

However, I would also say that these two speakers fit into the category of both being good yet having enough difference to be refreshing to switch between.
IOW, if you have two systems, I would prefer to have one (my HT) with the 530's and the other (BR) with the R162!

I might consider the R162 a bit more sophisticated (but staid) while the 530 leans towards "rowdy" without losing very much competence! :)
I really appreciate your review!
Also, could you tell me your thoughts about male/female vocal sound of these two speakers in Pop Ballads and R&B music genres?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder how the 530(If these were 200 I'd have to get them. Yeah I know 300 is a great deal too) compare to the HSU sale? They are in the same price range in black:

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I really appreciate your review!
Also, could you tell me your thoughts about male/female vocal sound of these two speakers in Pop Ballads and R&B music genres?
I still have them hooked up. Tell me some specific artists/songs you listen to and I will see if I have them, if not, I will find something close!
I will wait a while for a response, but if I get the chance before I hear from you, I will go with Lyle Lovette (because he has such a rich and nuanced voice that comes through on better speakers) followed by some combination of Norah Jones, Melody Gardot, Emillie Claire Barlow, and/or Corinne Bailey Rae (the last two being for the higher range of female vocal).

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I still have them hooked up. Tell me some specific artists/songs you listen to and I will see if I have them, if not, I will find something close!
I will wait a while for a response, but if I get the chance before I hear from you, I will go with Lyle Lovette (because he has such a rich and nuanced voice that comes through on better speakers) followed by some combination of Norah Jones, Melody Gardot, Emillie Claire Barlow, and/or Corinne Bailey Rae (the last two being for the higher range of female vocal).
Eva Cassidy always gets played at the DIY GTGs. No doubt those nerds factor in the quality of the recording.

Your interest in comparing speakers put me in mind of the Primus 362s and the task of comparing them to the original 360s I modified. Those comparisons were of an A/B nature but later I got my hands on another pair that I did more extensive work to and essentially ruined the speaker. With a little EQ and an ADS bandpass sub backing them up, the reinforced cabinet would blare music out of that garage I use so the across the street neighbors could hear it. I can't do that here in condo land but I did enjoy making those things scream in that garage. It was great fun until the surrounds cooked on the speaker that was too close to the heater.:rolleyes:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Eva Cassidy always gets played at the DIY GTGs. No doubt those nerds factor in the quality of the recording.

Your interest in comparing speakers put me in mind of the Primus 362s and the task of comparing them to the original 360s I modified. Those comparisons were of an A/B nature but later I got my hands on another pair that I did more extensive work to and essentially ruined the speaker. With a little EQ and an ADS bandpass sub backing them up, the reinforced cabinet would blare music out of that garage I use so the across the street neighbors could hear it. I can't do that here in condo land but I did enjoy making those things scream in that garage. It was great fun until the surrounds cooked on the speaker that was too close to the heater.:rolleyes:
I like Eva Cassidy's performances but have not appreciated the quality of the recordings because I have only heard her via YouTube!

It seems you had fun and learned a lot from the Infinity Primus Odyssey!
It is a great hobby!

T

Temptation

Audiophyte
All 4 One - Not Ready For Goodbye
ZAYN, Zhavia Ward - A Whole New World (End Title)
Naomi Scott - Speechless

Thank you :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
All 4 One - Not Ready For Goodbye
ZAYN, Zhavia Ward - A Whole New World (End Title)
Naomi Scott - Speechless

Thank you :)
I think I need to explain my set up to properly communicate this!
I am using two receivers with a switch box that directs the output of my Oppo to either unit. Both units are in Pure Direct mode to prevent any accidental EQ from interfering.
The main point is this gives me, with the press of a button, instant switching between the two receivers with the 530 or R162 attached. Thus, I can switch in the middle of a sustained vibrato to detect any difference in the sound of the voice! I would not expect anyone to detect the differences I am hearing unless they set up a similar A-B test. The time to switch speaker cables alone would make it impossible for me to detect these differences and that doesn't get into the time to adjust volume to level match the speakers.

If your objective is, specifically, to hear the nuances of the voices, the R162 is the winner! The R162 offer more detail with slightly fuller voices ... having a touch more realistic throatiness. This applied to all vocals on these three songs!

I still have to say that the 530 was more enjoyable on much of the background music with it's percussive attacks.

So if you are going for ultimate detail and accuracy, get the R162 (and do a good job of adding treatments or at least making the room a little "plush" to keep reflections down).

The 530 is overall more engaging, but you will not get that last little bit of subtleties that the R162 conveys.

Sorry that this is not a clear cut recommendation, but usually it is more detail that wins the day or better attacks, but with these two you are forfeiting a bit of one for a bit of the other.

Last edited:
T

Temptation

Audiophyte
I think I need to explain my set up to properly communicate this!
I am using two receivers with a switch box that directs the output of my Oppo to either unit. Both units are in Pure Direct mode to prevent any accidental EQ from interfering.
The main point is this gives me, with the press of a button, instant switching between the two receivers with the 530 or P162 attached. Thus, I can switch in the middle of a sustained vibrato to detect any difference in the sound of the voice! I would not expect anyone to detect the differences I am hearing unless they set up a similar A-B test. The time to switch speaker cables alone would make it impossible for me to detect these differences and that doesn't get into the time to adjust volume to level match the speakers.

If your objective is, specifically, to hear the nuances of the voices, the P162 is the winner! The P162 offer more detail with slightly fuller voices ... having a touch more realistic throatiness. This applied to all vocals on these three songs!

I still have to say that the 530 was more enjoyable on much of the background music with it's percussive attacks.

So if you are going for ultimate detail and accuracy, get the P162 (and do a good job of adding treatments or at least making the room a little "plush" to keep reflections down).

The 530 is overall more engaging, but you will not get that last little bit of subtleties that the P162 conveys.

Sorry that this is not a clear cut recommendation, but usually it is more detail that wins the day or better attacks, but with these two you are forfeiting a bit of one for a bit of the other.
P162->R162, right?

Really thank you for very detailed review!
Oh, i'm sorry. Could you tell me your thought about comparing two speakers in Symphony/Philharmonia Orchestra music for the last time?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
P162->R162, right?

Really thank you for very detailed review!
Oh, i'm sorry. Could you tell me your thought about comparing two speakers in Symphony/Philharmonia Orchestra music for the last time?
Yes, R162! Thanks for correcting that as I do believe Infinity did have a P162 as part of their Primus series.
I edited my post to correct.

I will check out some symphonic music later today.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I listened to the "Mahler Symphony No. 6 Finale" (from the Philharmonic Audio Test CD).
For this content, I would go with the R162's! I don't think you would have any regrets listening to it on the 530's, but the overall texture of the Orchestra just seemed more rich/full on the R162.
Being honest, if someone asked if it might be simply that the amount of reflected sound might better mimic a live orchestra, I couldn't argue! After all, string instruments are pretty omni-directional and the R162's are closer to mimicking that presentation than the 530's.
I have a pair of omni-directional Mirage OMD-5's where the drivers fire up into reflective surfaces which are curved and angled to distribute sound in all directions (with a bit more to the front than back). Even though they are not as good of drivers as many of my other speakers, they do a stellar job of presenting string orchestras!

The R162 is not an omni-directional speaker, it is probably average among standard speakers with its modest wave-guide. However, as contrasted with the 530 it definitely has wider dispersion, so I think the same effect could be in play.
OTOH, the little extra nuances I heard on vocals cannot be completely discounted!
HTH!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis