JBL LSR305 Low Volume

I

IqIndy

Audiophyte
Hi -

I just picked up a pair of JBL LSR305s for a friends office for 2 channel music. They sound good, but my issue is that I can't seem to get much past moderate volume from the pair.

I've used Laptop/pandora/Chromecast Audio, iphone direct, or laptop headphone out as the source and a
Hosa CMP-153, 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Cable for the connection.

All volumes have been at 100% from the sources to the speaker.

It gets somewhat loud, but never enough I couldn't easily talk over it. And not near party level (if that makes sense).

I've tried the trim and most obvious settings across the board.

Maybe the cable is wrong or these are simply not made to go that loud...

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Matt

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Hi -

I just picked up a pair of JBL LSR305s for a friends office for 2 channel music. They sound good, but my issue is that I can't seem to get much past moderate volume from the pair.

I've used Laptop/pandora/Chromecast Audio, iphone direct, or laptop headphone out as the source and a

It gets somewhat loud, but never enough I couldn't easily talk over it. And not near party level (if that makes sense).

Matt
I had the same problem. In my case I was using the wrong cable. Once I got the right cable, volume came back..

Cable is Hosa cmp 159.

The sound quality is not that good though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hi -

Matt

The devices you're using apparently don't have sufficient output (and not surprising from the devices listed). Might think of inserting a DI box. Something like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProAV2

Have you adjusted the input sensitivity switch?

I

IqIndy

Audiophyte
Wow - great, quick responses! My thanks.

I did try the sensitivity switch, but I will try that again; maybe I had something off in the middle of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the info on the cable, but I believe my cable is the same thing, just in a 3' length. The manual picture shows a 1/4 with two rings on it, but that doesn't make sense...

I may just have to revert to a standard pair of bookshelf and a receiver. His room is not easy to setup sound. He has a single shelf in the front left of the room, lower than his stool height desk and only about 17" deep and only 4' long. I have no easy way to run a wire across the room for any real stereo separation.

He uses Pandora streaming from his PC.

He does have power on the right side of the room - so, my crazy (stupid) idea was to use 2 Chromecast Audios in a group/sync (!) with a powered monitor and only use the left channel for one CA and the right channel for the other. May the audio gods strike me dead.

I guess I will just put a couple of front ported speakers in that left corner, angle them out, and call it a day. But, the inner audiophile in me is just cringing.

Thanks again folks!

Matt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

With the gain on the speakers all the way up, and the sensitivity switch set for -10 dBV, you should be able to get all the volume you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I

IqIndy

Audiophyte
I tried Spotify and Soundcloud rather than Pandora and have got much better results. I am not sure why Pandora on both PC and iPhone had such low signal.

But, I think it is workable for the space.

Thanks to you for helping me work the problem.

Matt

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I tried Spotify and Soundcloud rather than Pandora and have got much better results. I am not sure why Pandora on both PC and iPhone had such low signal.

But, I think it is workable for the space.

Thanks to you for helping me work the problem.

Matt
That is strange, I stream Pandora through my Amazon Dot to my lsr305 and I can fill the house at a nice level. I can actually get LOUD, but the lsr305 do have limits and start to show some signs of stress (my guess is cabinet resonance-it wasn't clipping) blasting in my great room. That is not a worry for me, the only reason I turned them that loud was to see just how loud they could go!

Glad you reached an acceptable level of volume, but keep on messing with it from time to time, because it sounds like there is something not right!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
He does have power on the right side of the room - so, my crazy (stupid) idea was to use 2 Chromecast Audios in a group/sync (!) with a powered monitor and only use the left channel for one CA and the right channel for the other. May the audio gods strike me dead.
Did this cause problems? Seems like a clever idea to me!?!

I

IqIndy

Audiophyte
Thanks, yes it seems to be better on volume - not that crazy level that I can get with even my cheap Energy take 5 system if I want to drive it to distortion, but good for the space. I changed various parts, cable, the sensitivity, reinstalled apps, etc. So maybe I simply had something wrong...

On the Chromecast stereo stream idea: I did some A/B ing yesterday and they must not sync just perfectly because it did seem different to my ear. If I were to install and not tell my friend I doubt he would notice, but it wasn't the quality I require as a solution. I heard that Google's beta software has some unused code listed for a same room situation, so maybe they are working on it.

If we want to add a sub to this setup (and not use the JBL offering) it gets more and more complicated. Maybe the 305s aren't the solution I want.

They sound pretty good, nice bass for the size, and the horizontal dispersion can't be argued.

But, maybe I just say screw it and do a non-rear ported passive like Q100 or Wharfedale 220 and put in a cheap stereo receiver.

Thanks to all for the input.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, yes it seems to be better on volume - not that crazy level that I can get with even my cheap Energy take 5 system if I want to drive it to distortion, but good for the space. I changed various parts, cable, the sensitivity, reinstalled apps, etc. So maybe I simply had something wrong...

On the Chromecast stereo stream idea: I did some A/B ing yesterday and they must not sync just perfectly because it did seem different to my ear. If I were to install and not tell my friend I doubt he would notice, but it wasn't the quality I require as a solution. I heard that Google's beta software has some unused code listed for a same room situation, so maybe they are working on it.

If we want to add a sub to this setup (and not use the JBL offering) it gets more and more complicated. Maybe the 305s aren't the solution I want.

They sound pretty good, nice bass for the size, and the horizontal dispersion can't be argued.

But, maybe I just say screw it and do a non-rear ported passive like Q100 or Wharfedale 220 and put in a cheap stereo receiver.

This should do the trick:

https://www.androidcentral.com/chromecast-audio-devices-playing-out-sync-heres-your-fix

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic

Sound quality and clarity of Q100, in my opinion, are miles ahead of lsr305.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Sound quality and clarity of Q100, in my opinion, are miles ahead of lsr305.

After listening to lsr395 for more than 2 weeks, I am convinced that they are a bit hyped. Or maybe when they were introduced, there were no good soeakers at this price range. Today Kef q100 at 229 a pair will beat them soundly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After listening to lsr395 for more than 2 weeks, I am convinced that they are a bit hyped. Or maybe when they were introduced, there were no good soeakers at this price range. Today Kef q100 at 229 a pair will beat them soundly.

They're not exactly comparable either. The Q100s' amps suck. :)

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
They're not exactly comparable either. The Q100s' amps suck. :)
Yes good point. For 100 dollars including an amp, what else could you expect.

But these glowing reviews? Somebody was smoking something.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I'll still take the vast majority of positive comments for them for what they are. YMMV.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Different people have different preferences,

This guy didn't give it a glowing review:
http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

but in the end, he ranked it 3rd among 27 desktop speakers and 4th among 6 living room speakers:
http://noaudiophile.com/Recommendations/

The KEF Q300 did decent at 6 of 27 for desktop.

Note: I am not sure why only 6 speakers were considered for living room speakers.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Different people have different preferences,

This guy didn't give it a glowing review:
http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

but in the end, he ranked it 3rd among 27 desktop speakers and 4th among 6 living room speakers:
http://noaudiophile.com/Recommendations/

The KEF Q300 did decent at 6 of 27 for desktop.

Note: I am not sure why only 6 speakers were considered for living room speakers.
Yes. Everyone is different. But for what I heard from my lsr305, I am really surprised that they even had a seat at the table.

That is what is most intriguing to me. I must be doing something wrong. But what? They just sound so ordinary, more like an eighties boombox.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis