JBL L series for home

B

bigsteff

Audiophyte
I'm a big JBL fan and own a set of 100t's. I would like to know which JBL speakers built for home were considered an upgrade from the L 100t/t3 (or the entire L series)?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve always wanted to build a home theater system using the older L Series line I’ve had L 100’ s and L 26’s love there sound . I use jbl’s in a 11.2 home theater now .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The modern JBL version of the L100 is reviewed here https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/jbl-l100. The HDI series is getting good comments as are some of the new 43xx series. I grew up on the original L100 myself and a few years back picked up some 4311Bs to scratch that itch. The prices are a bit higher on the newer stuff, tho :) I have a set of the Studio 5 series, and the 6 series has gotten some nice reports, too. Some of the active speakers like the 708p are nice, too.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
The modern JBL version of the L100 is reviewed here https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/jbl-l100. The HDI series is getting good comments as are some of the new 43xx series. I grew up on the original L100 myself and a few years back picked up some 4311Bs to scratch that itch. The prices are a bit higher on the newer stuff, tho :) I have a set of the Studio 5 series, and the 6 series has gotten some nice reports, too. Some of the active speakers like the 708p are nice, too.
Man I’d really like to upgrade to the HDI’s and I’ve heard good things on the new 6 series as well . Just had a big scare with this rig storm come threw took two good jolts I thought I lost about all my amps but problems show up scrambled the receiver up but a factory reset fixed it up . It was sounding crazy it needed a fresh calibration anyway . I did see the price on the HDI line is coming down at least enough to make ya look at a little more .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Man I’d really like to upgrade to the HDI’s and I’ve heard good things on the new 6 series as well . Just had a big scare with this rig storm come threw took two good jolts I thought I lost about all my amps but problems show up scrambled the receiver up but a factory reset fixed it up . It was sounding crazy it needed a fresh calibration anyway . I did see the price on the HDI line is coming down at least enough to make ya look at a little more .
LOL remember when I made my choice between the Advent Originals and the L100s, went with Advent as my budget was very limited and at the time thought it was better to invest in more wattage :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My older brother has the L100t2 and IMO, they are a case of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" category. His are for 100% music and would be hard to beat without spending a considerable amount of $. They do well with pretty much all popular music without being overly revealing or harsh. I definitely would not trade them for anything made (way overpriced) these days that mount on a stand, for instance. He had to replace the surrounds about 10 years ago or so and they are still as formidable as ever.

I have three different pairs of JBL from the budget S series from the late '90s/Y2k-ish era and I use them because they are good enough (excellent, really) without being too finnicky, while so many of the trendy, overpriced boutique brands are a bit too 'pinkies up' cork-sniffing appeal for my use.

In other words, don't let upgraditus from internet window shopping and starving reviewers kick those old JBLs to the curb if they are still working well.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
My older brother has the L100t2 and IMO, they are a case of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" category. His are for 100% music and would be hard to beat without spending a considerable amount of $. They do well with pretty much all popular music without being overly revealing or harsh. I definitely would not trade them for anything made (way overpriced) these days that mount on a stand, for instance. He had to replace the surrounds about 10 years ago or so and they are still as formidable as ever.

I have three different pairs of JBL from the budget S series from the late '90s/Y2k-ish era and I use them because they are good enough (excellent, really) without being too finnicky, while so many of the trendy, overpriced boutique brands are a bit too 'pinkies up' cork-sniffing appeal for my use.

In other words, don't let upgraditus from internet window shopping and starving reviewers kick those old JBLs to the curb if they are still working well.
My whole rig is late 90’s jbl’s see or really hear no reason to except the HDI series I have looked hard at them just can’t pull the trigger yet but I really the ones I have now too .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis