E

egothrasher

Audiophyte
Just recently acquired a JBL Sub 8. I plug it in, connect it to my receiver and no sound comes out. Light on the back is red, which is supposed to be green I believe. I've tried replacing the fuse, still red light. I've checked those tall resistor things, all flat, no bulges or any other sort of deformations. Any and all help would be much appreciated, as its the last thing I need to finish my sound system.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just recently acquired a JBL Sub 8. I plug it in, connect it to my receiver and no sound comes out. Light on the back is red, which is supposed to be green I believe. I've tried replacing the fuse, still red light. I've checked those tall resistor things, all flat, no bulges or any other sort of deformations. Any and all help would be much appreciated, as its the last thing I need to finish my sound system.
Right now we don't know if the problem is the sub or your receiver. So connect something to your sub and see if you get sound. A CD player iPhone or anything with an audio output. Are you sure you know what you have? I can find nothing on a JBL Sub 8.

E

egothrasher

Audiophyte
Ok, I did as suggested, and connected the sub to my laptop. Seems I may have bad audio cables, as soon as I plug it into my laptop, light turns green.

But, now there is still no sound. Except for a bad staticy sound that happens, especially when turning the volume knob on the subwoofer. As soon as I unplug the subwoofer from the laptop, sounds comes back on as normal.

Here is a link to the basic manual, seems it is an older model of the jbl subwoofers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, I did as suggested, and connected the sub to my laptop. Seems I may have bad audio cables, as soon as I plug it into my laptop, light turns green.

But, now there is still no sound. Except for a bad staticy sound that happens, especially when turning the volume knob on the subwoofer. As soon as I unplug the subwoofer from the laptop, sounds comes back on as normal.

Here is a link to the basic manual, seems it is an older model of the jbl subwoofers.
Yes, that is a very old subwoofer. Subs are still highly reliable, and back then highly unreliable. It is highly unlikely a sub of that age would still be in working condition. So the sub is causing malfunction to your laptop. By all means try another cable, however I think that sub most likely needs a decent burial at the recycling center.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis