JBL 230 vs 305 bass

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If the noise is less with the gains on the speakers turned down, may be able to go into the audio software and turn the input level up to compensate there as well. My last PC there was some discrepancy between my CD player and say, youtube and Pandora. Default input was 100%, but I could adjust it higher, with 125% being the sweet spot for me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The analog outputs on PC motherboards are almost always terrible. The 305s were not intended to be connected to such a system, and no decent speaker is. Those outputs have a very high noise floor thanks to EMF noise on the motherboards. You need a DAC, and a simple sound interface will suffice. Here are a few very inexpensive ones that should do the trick nicely: Behringer U-Phoria, UCA-222, UCA-202. Remember to get the correct cables to connect the speakers to the DAC.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I had same issue. External DAC is what you need. Not an expensive one, but one with good signal isolation. There many out there. If you think that 24/192 is important (hint it's not) get smsl idea DAC. It's cheap and measures very well.
I've decided to go extra secure and bought a DAC with optical input. I honestly would not recommend you same model due to issue with volume control.
Also get your self some nice shielded rca cables.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The analog outputs on PC motherboards are almost always terrible. The 305s were not intended to be connected to such a system, and no decent speaker is. Those outputs have a very high noise floor thanks to EMF noise on the motherboards. You need a DAC, and a simple sound interface will suffice. Here are a few very inexpensive ones that should do the trick nicely: Behringer U-Phoria, UCA-222, UCA-202. Remember to get the correct cables to connect the speakers to the DAC.
Just a caution on the Behringer dacs, the output impedance for the headphone jack is 300ohms IIRC. If OP plans on using headphones at all, I would still suggest the fiio. A high output impedance will change the frequency response of headphones that have a response that varies with frequency (most do, but some don’t). Found this out the hard way when I tried using a UCA 202 as a headphone amp for a pair of etymotic HF5s. The change in timbre was very apparent.

The other thing you might do is get a dedicated sound card. This will also allow you to expand to up to 7.1 in the future. Asus makes some very high quality cards with excellent S/N ratios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just a caution on the Behringer dacs, the output impedance for the headphone jack is 300ohms IIRC. If OP plans on using headphones at all, I would still suggest the fiio. A high output impedance will change the frequency response of headphones that have a response that varies with frequency (most do, but some don’t). Found this out the hard way when I tried using a UCA 202 as a headphone amp for a pair of etymotic HF5s. The change in timbre was very apparent.

The other thing you might do is get a dedicated sound card. This will also allow you to expand to up to 7.1 in the future. Asus makes some very high quality cards with excellent S/N ratios.
A 7.1 system really calls for an AVR or preprocessor, in which case the OP would be using digital outputs. Besides that, I wouldn't trust the noise floor of any internal sound card that uses 1/8" stereo jacks for analog outputs.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
A 7.1 system really calls for an AVR or preprocessor, in which case the OP would be using digital outputs. Besides that, I wouldn't trust the noise floor of any internal sound card that uses 1/8" stereo jacks for analog outputs.
The UCA 202 is not exactly quiet either. In that case, I would still suggest the fiio, or even better yet, a presonus audiobox, which was actually designed for connection to studio monitors.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The UCA 202 is not exactly quiet either. In that case, I would still suggest the fiio, or even better yet, a presonus audiobox, which was actually designed for connection to studio monitors.

It looks relatively good from the tests that I have seen. Certainly it is many orders magnitude better than motherboard headphone jacks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have uca202. It's headphones port sucks, but otherwise it's excellent DAC.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Shady, the Lexicon Alpha is another good one. In fact, you recommended it to me right before I bought my JBL 305's. Also had the Behringer UMC22. Of the two, I preferred the Lexicon Alpha. Either one would do the trick nicely! :):):)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Lexicon has had some technical issues and compatibility problems. I would only recommend it for setups that are simple and common. For simple listening, it should be fine, as long as you don't put it in an odd software environment.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Lexicon has had some technical issues and compatibility problems. I would only recommend it for setups that are simple and common. For simple listening, it should be fine, as long as you don't put it in an odd software environment.
Shady, I am a big fan of simplicity. But, I had no issues w/the Lexicon Alpha. Glad that you recommended it for me The 305's rock! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis