Homebuilt Hybrid Electrostatic Speakers
Homebuilt Ripole/Peerless-12 Subs
Homebuilt 12 Sealed Box Sub
Homebuilt Red Oak Rack

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I approve.

ps - Nice choice on the Justin Bua print. I worked on a colab showing with him years ago when Limited Addiction Gallery was still around, very articulate cat.

J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
I approve.

ps - Nice choice on the Justin Bua print. I worked on a colab showing with him years ago when Limited Addiction Gallery was still around, very articulate cat.
I love that print. Bought it in a shop on Bay Street in Savannah. I've also got prints from the jazz festivals held here in Savannah every year.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I am quite interested in those subs you built. Inward facing? The dimensions of the ecnlosure seems very small, with possibly the magnet sticking out the back??
More infor would be much appreciated.

J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
I am quite interested in those subs you built. Inward facing? The dimensions of the ecnlosure seems very small, with possibly the magnet
sticking out the back?? More infor would be much appreciated.
Yes, those are the woofer magnets protruding out the sides of those subs. As shown in the photo below, the boxes are open on the back and are basically ultra-compact
folded-baffle dipoles. They were invented by a German speaker builder named Axel Ridtahler. Hence, their name: "Ripole" (Ridtahler-dipole) sub. Mine use a pair of 12" Peerless SLS
woofers in push/push facing configuration. They have some unique sonic characteristics -- the bass notes come from nowhere on the attack and recede to nowhere on the decay.

Below is a link to my DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page, which also includes a link with a write up, build photos and plans for the Ripole subs. Enjoy!

Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I stand up and applaud you sir !
That's the first I heard about DIY ESL panels ! Your site bookmarked , I couldn't process the info - it's 1:30am, but it all looks very interesting

p.s:
I get strange feeling than you like Carver products ;)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
As a fellow woodworker, I can appreciate the time and effort that has gone into the design and execution of your listening "furniture".

Thanks for posting some photos for us. You do nice work!

J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys,

Back in the 80's I lusted for a Carver system but, even though Carvers were always priced right, I couldn't afford it back then. Now, old Carver equipment can be had on Ebay fairly cheaply. Mine are all recapped so should be good for another 20 years.

As for the furniture, I'm glad built all that stuff but I'm sure glad I don't have to build those beam-splitter transmission line bass cabinets for the ESL's again-- I had no idea what I was getting myself into with those. I really should get off my butt and design and post a simpler ESL design on my blog page.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Out of laziness against build the ESL panels, I'm considering using a pair of the panels from some Magnepan MG1.5QRs that I have and building a new enclosure using a bass bin at the bottom to handle 150hz and down with the a pair of Morel classic 9" in each. Beam splitter design is important to it though....dammit.

Will be a nice 3 way system, just need some crossover design help

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That system is outstanding! Truly. The well-made video shows it off nicely. I've had a craving for Carver gear and electrostats for years...and you've got them both. :) Your subs certainly have me intrigued, too.

First time in a while that I've been jealous of another man's wood. :D

generalkorrd

generalkorrd

Audioholic Intern
Finally! A person in Savannah who is into high end audio! For a while I had given up hope. I know A/V warehouse sells a lot of good stuff, but other than that, there is no place to get or see any high end. I live in Richmond Hill, and would love to see your system one day. I used to sell Martin Logans wayyyy back in the day, and have always coveted ESL's, and wanted to find out what would be involved in a diy stat.

One question for you, would the sweet spot problem(if you can call it that) be alleviated with a curved panel ala Martin Logan? I would imagine it would, at least somewhat. I never really noticed that tight of a sweet spot on the ML's, so I figure it has to be due to the curved panels.

Send me a pm, I'll bring the beer(or whatever)!

J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
That system is outstanding! Truly. The well-made video shows it off nicely. I've had a craving for Carver gear and electrostats for years...and you've got them both. :) Your subs certainly have me intrigued, too.

First time in a while that I've been jealous of another man's wood. :D
Thanks. A friend of mine made that video for me last Sunday while I was installing a stereo in his car. Here's a link to the Ripole subs write-up on my website:

Jazzman's DIY Ripole Subs

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Jazzman53
I am very impressed with your woodwork & very interested in the Ripole subs!!
I would love to hear what sound sig those subs have. Since you are running 4-12" subs do you push them less? Id assume that they are similar to an Infinite Baffle design, where you use more drivers & less power since they you have to be careful not to push them past their Xmax. All assumtions though so correct me if im wrong.

So is that sub design more of a musical sub or is it also good for home theater applications?

I really like your system & im happy you've shared it with us!!

J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
Jazzman53
I am very impressed with your woodwork & very interested in the Ripole subs!!
I would love to hear what sound sig those subs have. Since you are running 4-12" subs do you push them less? Id assume that they are similar to an Infinite Baffle design, where you use more drivers & less power since they you have to be careful not to push them past their Xmax. All assumtions though so correct me if im wrong.

So is that sub design more of a musical sub or is it also good for home theater applications?

I really like your system & im happy you've shared it with us!!
Your assumptions are correct, except that they can play significantly lower than open-baffle type dipoles because the compression in the front chamber lowers the resonant frequency of the drivers. And bass notes from the Ripoles have an ethereal quality-- seeming to come from nowhere on the attack and receding to nowhere on the decay. Great for jazz-- not so much for loud rock or theatre sound effects. I personally have grown to love their sound but I hesitate to recommend them to others because many people are disappointed with dipolar bass. One guy on the DIY Audio forum hates them so much he goes out of his way to badmouth every post about them. The Ripoles are clean but inefficient-- won't take much power before bottoming out at X-max, and can't pressurize a room with chest thumping bass, as needed for earthquake sound effects. They do have a unique sound, though, which I personally like very much.

generalkorrd

generalkorrd

Audioholic Intern
As long as you like the sound, it doesn't matter a whit about what anyone else thinks. They are gorgeous, and unique.

generalkorrd

generalkorrd

Audioholic Intern
Question for you jazzman: when you are listening to rock or other music that doesn't work with the ripoles, do you just turn them off and use the ones in the ESL's? And vice versa, do you turn the ESL subs off when listening to jazz?

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
What made you decide to build Ripole subs?

Had you heard them before your own build or had you only read about them?

Im just curious because this is the first time ive seen this design & it is very intriguing!! I wish i were near you to be able to listen to them. They have a very unique & cool look to them.

Can you flip them around so that you see the back side of the drivers from your seat? would you need to reverse the phase in order to do that?

J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
What made you decide to build Ripole subs?

Had you heard them before your own build or had you only read about them?

Im just curious because this is the first time ive seen this design & it is very intriguing!! I wish i were near you to be able to listen to them. They have a very unique & cool look to them.

Can you flip them around so that you see the back side of the drivers from your seat? would you need to reverse the phase in order to do that?
I had not heard any Ripoles before I built mine. I only knew that I could never get a good seamless blend between my existing sealed box sub and main speakers, and I wanted to try something different. I first read about the Ripoles at the DIY Audio forum, where they are quite popular. I liked their compact size and the fact that they were dipoles and, well, they do look kinda cool.

Their frontward and rearward sound are opposite phase so, yes, flipping them around (back facing frontward) would indeed change the phasing.

Last edited:
J

jazzman53

Audioholic Intern
Question for you jazzman: when you are listening to rock or other music that doesn't work with the ripoles, do you just turn them off and use the ones in the ESL's? And vice versa, do you turn the ESL subs off when listening to jazz?
I think many people like to play their subs well into the mid-bass but I prefer limiting subs to the lowest bass notes. My system is a three-way setup with digital crossover and three power amps. The hybrid ESL's are vertically bi-amped. One amp drives both Ripoles, and each main has its own amp. A couple of 10's in a TL can only move so much air, hence, I added the Ripoles to help out when needed.

I never turn the Ripoles off, but I cross them in quite low (40Hz) with a 24db/oct slope. The TL's can play all the way down to 25Hz and they have such nice tone that I prefer to have them carry ALL of the mid-bass, down to around 40 Hz, and not step on the TL's. The Ripoles only come in for the lowest bass notes-- seldom heard, but often felt, and always there when needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis