It's here its here itshereitshereitshere

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
It's a great sub Jaxon, no way around it, but there are too many deciding factors that go against SVS until they have a distributorship in Canada. At least for me anyway. If the sub breaks I have to ship it back at a high cost to myself, and will be without a sub for at least a couple of weeks (if I'm lucky). There is a real risk for damage coming across the border no matter how well SVS packs their product (which from what I've read is very well). Also I'm dying to get A 12" sub. Do I need a 12" sub, no. I want one though. The fact that that sub plays down to 19hz is very impressive. I've read too that a small room (like I have ) will increase extension. I can't even imagine what that would be like. But will this 10 incher move as much air as an STF-3? I don't think so. If I were to move to the pb-12 (which is the sub I would have went with if I had my druthers the price including shipping, tax, duty, brokerage fee etc. would be at least $1050 CDN, that is a minimum, it could go a hundred or so higher, but I don't think it would be less. The price for an STF-3 would be $800CDN including tax. If I barter hard or find a good deal on the paradigm sub it could be $600. I tell you what though, a big part of my budget is going to be from some old equipment I sell, if I do better than expected I'll go for the SVS, if not then It's going to be demo time for the Paradigm and HSU, and any other subs at the dealers I go to for that matter.

Edit: I read in the S&V review (I think it was S&V) that the VTF-2 was hitting 20hz at 94db, so they should be really comparable. I also read a review where the precursurer to the PB-12 beat up on a STF-3, that was what made me want a PB-12. I also just found out that I can get a VTF-2 for $650CDN taxes in.

Edit on the edit: The VTF-2 was hitting 20hz at 93 db, just like the SVS. It was indeed in S&V (online) that I saw the review. What really sucks is knowing that if SVS did have a local distributer that I'd be able to pick up one of those VS PB12-ISD/V for about $900 CDN, now that I'd save for.)

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes. I agree. You just know that if you took the plunge before they established distribution up there that you'd end up with a lemon sub and have to pay an ungodly amount of money to ship it back to Ohio. And I understand the "I want a 12 inch sub because I want a 12 inch sub" thing. I guess my justification would be "It'll last longer because it won't be working as hard to put out the bass that I want it to". Good luck. Oh, and I really enjoyed the whole "New Reciever Saga".

BTW, up there is more "over there" for me, since I live near Ann Arbor, Canada is west and north of me, and just an hour away.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've pushed my usual luck getting the receiver here undamaged, and it was a close one with the damage to the box and all. What I really want is a sub that will do 20hz (the Paradigm does 21hz which is close enough) so that way I can have the mythical 20 to 20k. That hsu VTF-2 is calling me now that I know can get it for $650 including tax (no shipping either). It's not 12", but like most other things I could lie and tack on a couple inches when discussing with friends ;) .

I'm not ruling out any sub yet though. I'm going to see what my final dollar figure is, and what some local dealers have to offer. I haven't even looked into a lot of other brands yet. I know I'll have at least $600 cash, I may be willing to go out of pocket another $200, we'll see. No more than that though. (that's what I always say)

Thanks again to everyone for the nice sayings about the receiver. I'll keep everyone posted regarding how the sub hunt is coming. I'm going to start hitting the stores in about 2 weeks, 3 at the outside.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Takeereasy, if you did got with the PB10-ISD, we'd be working towards having the same system...as you know, I also got in on the 8400 deal, AND have the SVS PB10 as my sub.

It's a great sub, but I understand the monetary hurdles in your way...they'd turn me off too.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Ah, Corysmith It's like you're copying me in reverse, lol. What are your main speakers just so i know what I'm getting next? (J/K)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
They're B&W 601's...now, if you could just let me know what dvd player and tv you have, i'll head out with my checkbook at lunch. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis