It's here its here itshereitshereitshere

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
My receiver finally has arrived. Cost to buy including shipping to relative in States, $491 US, shipping to me from relative $59 US, customs $35 CDN. Total cost is around $800CDN, cost at dealers $1700CDN plus tax on sale!

Go taker, it's your birthday. P.S. receiver is Marantz 8400.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Sweet! Same deal I got, give or take. I'm lovin' the 8400! Let us know what you think once you've had time to play with it.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Awesome! Nothin' like a new peice of Audio equipiment to make your day! Can you take pics of the setup when its all finished?

Cyg.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
My new Marantz 8400 observations.

All right, I've had a little time to play with this guy now so I'll give some impressions.

First off getting this thing has been a nightmare, and when I first saw the box it came in I was scared witless (not much of a scare according to some). The box was obviously battered and had a hole punched through it about the size of a baby's fist. When you put your hand through the hole you were touching the display of the unit. I asked the girl at the post office what I should do about reporting the hole, all she said was, "I don't know, it was like that when it got here." Most comforting. Anyway I took the unit home and got it out of the box. Not one piece of Styrofoam was intact, most were shattered into about 10 pieces, and the one that wasn't was so brittle that it fell apart at touching it. As for the unit itself, not a scratch baby!

The first thing I noted was the solid build quality of the unit. Sure it weighed in a little less than 40 LBS but it is a solid feeling < 40LBS. My Sony receiver weighed in at about 27 LBS, but the weight was uneven, and felt kind of loose if that makes sense. This Marantz is one solidly constructed receiver that screams quality right out of the box.

I had everything unhooked from the Sony and plugged into the Marantz in about 45 Min. including moving furniture and the like. I stopped only once along the way for some listening. After I had all the components hooked up I connected only my front L and R speakers and then turned on the Tuner. Out poured glorious sound, I sat down for a quick listen and was a little impressed. It did sound audibly better, but how much better this wasn't the time to decide, I still had more speakers to set up. I picked up the receiver at 5:30 and by 6:30 everything was tested out and ready to get dialled in. Out comes my S&V HT set-up disc and my Radio Shack SPL Meter. This is where things get eerie. All the speaker settings were almost right on, requiring little or no tweaking. All I had to do was set the rear speakers as being a little closer than the factory settings and all of a sudden everything on the meter is reading as hunky dory. Add to this the fact that my RCA set top DSS box was the factory preset for the Marantz's remote, and the fact that my DVD player and TV were both the first codes that I tried programming, and set-up was a breeze. I had everything pretty much calibrated and programmed by 8:00. I know that there is still more tweaking needed, or at least more tweaking will be done needed or not. But now the time for auditioning has come.

The first thing I threw in was Roger Waters The Wall Live at Berlin. I love this DVD, it sounds fantastic and there are a lot of cameos from some pretty famous performers in it. The sound was noticeably improved from the earlier receiver and seemed to present a clearer warmer, smoother sound, but at the same time everything was more detailed. Female voices especially sounded much better, I don't know how explain it, they just sounded clearer, and were more in the forefront.

The second thing I threw in was a series of movies, DTS mainly, including Blade II, Gladiator, SPR, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I wasn't really looking for impact, or deep bass. What I wanted was to hear how the dialogue sounded through a barrage of background noise. My main reason for upgrading was the fact that my Sony receiver was lousy at producing voices from the centre speaker. All I can say is HELLOOOO Marantz. Crisp clear and always intelligible sound is now bursting forth from the centre channel. I can now watch a movie at television listening volume without straining to catch what was said. In addition separation is much improved. The girlfriend and I were watching some schlock horror Friday night and the Sound from the rear left made her jump out of her skin, but I didn't jump, not one little bit, well maybe one little bit, ok so it was me that jumped, stop interrogating me, this interview is over. Also actual television watching using DTS NEO 6 is almost as good as watching a movie using the Sony. The bass isn't as strong but the dialogue is much cleaner, I can live with that trade off any day. I can't stop listening to Dianna Krall now, I've heard The Girl in the Yellow room like 8 times in the last 3 days.

Ok, so I love this new receiver. It makes me feel good about my speakers all over again now that I can see what they are really capable of. For once I know what people mean when they are talking about tonal quality in speakers. I can't turn volume up to 3/4 because it would be painful at that volume. At far under half volume this setup is singing.

Here are some things I didn't like (just to be fair). There is no parametric EQ. All you can do is adjust treble and bass for each speaker. There is a HT EQ but it is simply an off or on function (I'd suggest on for sure in a small room like mine). There is no auto calibration. Nit a necessity for me, but I'd like to see how my measurements stack up to a machine. There is no THX certification. Again no biggie for me, but it would be nice. There are two knobs on the front, one for volume one for scrolling through options. The volume knob provides a smooth turning action with resistance that just screams quality, the function jog knob moves easily, and seems little flimsier. Ok I was digging deep for that one, but there is not alot to not love.

This receiver is fantastic, and an incredible buy for everyone that got it on sale like I did.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Wow, that is indeed scary about the box. To say I'd have been a little worried is an understatement. Really weird...mine got to me perfectly, and I mean perfectly, intact. Guess there's no rhyme or reason to delivery.

As for your observations, awesome. You know, I felt the same way, going from my Onkyo to this. I even admitted in my thread that I was wondering if it was just power of suggestion...but I honestly don't think it is. Though the power difference wasn't that much (Onkyo = 85wpc / Marantz = 110wpc), I SWEAR this thing sound clearer, smoother and certainly like there's more "oomph" behind the sound. I was very thrilled...and still am.

Great score on your part! :D

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I wonder if someone will try and say that I'm imagining the quality difference. I know I'm not, especially since I can hear dialogue in movies now, regardless of what's going on in the background. I'm sure my housemates will appreciate the fact that I don't have to watch movies at half volume anymore at 1:00am.

I have not tried the surround headphone mode yet, but I will soon. As for the box my initial reaction was a buttload of panic. I guess the styrofoam did its job perfectly, it can break all it wants as long as my precious.....er, I mean receiver, is ok. Thanks corysmith, I really do feel like I made a big score on this one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats!!

Congrats man on your new receiver!! I bet you'll be hearing nuances in both music and movies that you haven't heard before with the Sony. And ya got the right speakers for delivering nuances, thats fer sure. Enjoy.

Um is it wrong to have receiver envy?? :rolleyes:

B

baldbear

Enthusiast
I received mine about 2 weeks ago and I too love it. Music sounds so clear, and movies are awsome. Just wanted to add that it also has a "night" feature that controls a lot of the explosions/action so it doesn't get too loud.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Thanks 3db, and yes it is ok to have receiver envy. Night mode is a nice feature to have baldbear, but it only works for Dolby Digital I think. I am still waiting for Nomas to come down and drop the cloud on my silver lining, as it were.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Congrats on receiving your receiver in one piece. After all you've been through, I'm glad to know that everything worked out OK. My wife has been following the ongoing saga of the Takeereasy-Quest-To-Upgrade, quietly pointing out that if anything happened to that receiver, I'd look like the biggest jerk in history. Glad to know that it worked out OK.

You say:
I wonder if someone will try and say that I'm imagining the quality difference. I know I'm not
If you really want to show that a difference exists, ask your GF if she thinks it sounds better and why. We all know that you are predisposed to hearing a difference because of all you went through and I think it is fairly safe to assume that your GF would be predisposed the other direction. If she hears a difference, then you can rest assured that it is in fact real. Just a suggestion.

But if it starts a fight, post it in detail so I can comment on it at nauseating length. :p

Better yet, have one of her friends/family members ask her for you and then she won’t be inclined to give you the answer you want to hear. Just a thought.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Yeah what does your wife think of the receiver?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The gf (never use the W word Cygnus, I haven't lost that particular battle yet) begrudignly likes the receiver. I was writing about us jumping at a horror movie we were watching Fri or Sat night. There was a loud thump from behind delivered with authority that made it feel like something was right there, sneaking up on us. Neither of us are the jittery type, so we both laughed. Also I have a 5 disc changer, and today when I got home there were 3 of her discs in the player, she never leaves her stuff out unless she's planning on listening to it again. She won't come right out and say it but she like the new guy, especially the remote. It's shiny and lights up blue, and she learned to use it before me.

Nomas, I really didn't think you wre being mean or insensitive, I know I laughed at everything you said, all of it is on target and sarcastic, that's how I like it. I am so glad that the receiver is here and that it is working out. I don't have a digital camera, and the last time I tried to borrow one from work it didn't work out, so no promises to post pictures. That plus the fact that the room I'm in is pretty much just roughed in makes me less than willing to post after some of the setups I've seen in the members section. Still I'd go through it again to get this kind of deal (although I plan to stick with buying the next 2 items N of the border).

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Congrats on the receiver. Isn't it nice to have a quality piece driving your speakers? I have about the same experience with my "little" 5400 when I got it. Had to start digging through the CD collection just to listen to something.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Ah thats cool...sorry about the "W" word...i just didnt know :)

Are you using a 7.1 speaker setup or what? and are you planning on putting some pics up in the Member Systems area?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've broken out old favourites as well, like 7 DTS ES, all the rain falling is great, but I have to say that this movie sounds different, & I don't know if I mean better or worse. It seems the rain is more in the background than before, not as much a part of the action. Before the rain was much more involved, actually drowning out voices at some points. I used to think that was cool, but now I'm not so sure.

Music wise I've busted out the DVD audio STP Plush and played the stereo version, very, very marked improvement. Like I said Dianna Krall has made a big comeback, and there are others lined up and waiting to go. The biggest problem I forsee is that now I'm dying to get a better sub. Right now I have a 10" polk capable of a whopping 35hz at about 60-65db. Impressive no? Within 2 months a new sub will be mine. I've already checked with SVS and they still don't have a distributer up here so that rules them out for me unless I get the kind of sale I got on the Marantz. The solid recomendations you see for them on this site, and their excellent support (very obvious anytime someone emails or asks them a question online) makes knocking them off my list hard but necessary. That leaves for me either Paradigm or HSU, (I love PSB but their only subs I like cost too much and my local dealer doesn't carry them anymore and I'd like to get something local). Velodyne is out for me because they have an enormous markup here once you get past their entry level stuff. I've emailed Bic Americas Canadian distributer to get some info on their 12", it's going for as little as $173 US so I might consider getting 2 of them to really rock the house. Oh well, only auditioning and time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feed back, I appreciate it. See, good things can happen to bad people, I'm living proof.

Edit: I'll work on the pics Cygnus, as for the GF thing don't sweat it, I'm kidding you, besides we've lived together for so long half my stuff is hers anyways if ya know what I mean. Not that she'd want half my stuff. I'm only running a 5.1, that's all space currently allows, one day I'll have the room for 7.1, but not now.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
Edit: I'll work on the pics Cygnus, as for the GF thing don't sweat it, I'm kidding you, besides we've lived together for so long half my stuff is hers anyways if ya know what I mean. Not that she'd want half my stuff. I'm only running a 5.1, that's all space currently allows, one day I'll have the room for 7.1, but not now.

Ok, cool, i wanna see pics of this nice beast of a receivber in your equipment rack ow whatever you have set up! :)

Hmm....I may end up running 6.1 once i get enough seakers and wire....

O

Orcasite

Enthusiast
USA to CANADA; CANADA TO USA?

Since SVS sells direct to the purchaser online, and I assume can ship to Canada, why can't you buy from them? I bought my speakers from AXIOM, a Canadian company, and they came in three days - all the way across the continent (and the Canadian/US border) - with no customs, no duty, no problems. I was very pleased to buy good quality speakers from a Canadian company. Seems like it should work well the other direction, too.

I understand you might have to pay some additional Canadian "value added tax," but that shouldn't stop you from considering a SVS sub - (unless I misunderstand how it works...?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS sells direct. You pay the same as the American, and the exchange is not too bad at the moment. I bought one last year to replace my Polk Audio PSW404. There is no comparison. Get one and you won't regret it.

By the way, they packed it well, you won't be scared this time.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
It's not that I wouldn't love to try an SVS sub, it's that I've got a budget of around $700 to $800, CDN, that pretty much limits me to the PB 10. It's a nice sub but I can get paradigm or HSU subs up here that I feel are better within my budget. I can get a Paradigm Ps12 sub for about $700 CDN including tax, that sub goes to 21hz, I can get a vtf-2 for $700 cdn or an stf 3 for $800 cdn. To put it in perspective I just got the receiver that I statred this thread about for $451 US. By the time I got it here it was about $800 CDN including conversion rate, taxes, duty, shipping etc. It would cost me close to $700 CDN for a PB10, it's not worth it compared to the Paradigm sub for sure. When we ship to the states you guys don't get hit with half of the made up stuff we do in Canada. I do appreciate the advie, but unless I can get a pb-12 for the same kind of money I don't see the point.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno, a PB-10 will do 20Hz at 93dB anechoic (@1m of course) and that's pretty good to me. SVS also says that it will go 2-5Hz lower in room, and that's subsonic goodness there.

Also, this seems like a pretty good, Audioholics-style review of the sub, check it out:Clicky!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis