It was bound to happen...Epik failed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pondering the whole sub thing, new to the mix is now the consideration for long term support not just life span of an ampo_O Still keeps open my options the same, but I think it bumps HSU and SVS to the top.
Do believe I've seen that at least SVS doesn't stock amps forever....wonder where both of them cut off support for a particular model. Did you need Epik's support during the last several years otherwise?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I haven't forgotten about this either... even if it sits for a whIle til i get to it, it's a project I wouldn't mind undertaking at all. I like the idea of another sub and have room for it. What state are you in J?

*Edit: Which model subwoofer is it? That's probably good to know too, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Man, I haven't forgotten about this either... even if it sits for a whIle til i get to it, it's a project I wouldn't mind undertaking at all. I like the idea of another sub and have room for it. What state are you in J?
He's in the San Francisco area (San Jose IIRC)....I might drive down this fall....on my way to AZ.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Do believe I've seen that at least SVS doesn't stock amps forever....wonder where both of them cut off support for a particular model. Did you need Epik's support during the last several years otherwise?
Besides the amp, no, but if the company isn't around then I can't get support.

Just know that SVS and HSU have been around since the beginning. Two of my first subs lol. Original VTF-2 and original PB-10. PSA was also started by Tom, so I can feel comfortable there as well. Rythmik have always been excellent as well. I don't need them to stock amps forever, just need them to make it right.

Epik made it right, but at a cost to themselves.

Yes, in San Jose area.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Besides the amp, no, but if the company isn't around then I can't get support.

Just know that SVS and HSU have been around since the beginning. Two of my first subs lol. Original VTF-2 and original PB-10. PSA was also started by Tom, so I can feel comfortable there as well. Rythmik have always been excellent as well.

Yes, in San Jose area.
Maybe if you could find Chad Kuypers he might offer some condolences LOL :) SVS and Hsu are definite survivors....and Tom is still doing PSA....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

*Edit: Which model subwoofer is it? That's probably good to know too, lol.
Epik Empire - dual 15" sealed beast. Excellent sub, digs deep enough while remaining musical and can fill a pretty large room on its own.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He's in the San Francisco area (San Jose IIRC)....I might drive down this fall....on my way to AZ.....
I just looked it up and that's a 12 hour drive for me. You might be swinging through there on your way here in the fall tho? :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Epik Empire - dual 15" sealed beast. Excellent sub, digs deep enough while remaining musical and can fill a pretty large room on its own.
Then it would probably play nice with the twins, yes? Or do I remember reading something about not mixing sealed and ported in the same system?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then it would probably play nice with the twins, yes? Or do I remember reading something about not mixing sealed and ported in the same system?
Probably better to add another same for triplets....though be nice in the bedroom or ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked it up and that's a 12 hour drive for me. You might be swinging through there on your way here in the fall tho? :D
Thinking about it, haven't ridden down that way in a while....late fall tho, when your temperatures get reasonable :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Probably better to add another same for triplets....though be nice in the bedroom or ?
Its a nice sub either way, but yeah I know what you mean.
Thinking about it, haven't ridden down that way in a while....late fall tho, when your temperatures get reasonable :)
Definitely can't blame you there! Well if it's not too much trouble... Keep me in the loop and let me know what you decide. I think I'd like to take on the project, but I'm not in a hurry and I'm pretty good on bass now as it is. It looks very powerful and well reviewed tho, and a little different. I've been googling.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I could experiment with running the Hsu's in sealed mode with it. Any extra output I lose plugging the ports would be made up with the additional sub?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at the PSA's numbers, their dual is larger, about 2X the price but has a few dB advantage in the 25-63Hz ranges. Just hesitant to pull the trigger at that price given the price since I just dumped a bunch of funds into the car.

I could experiment with running the Hsu's in sealed mode with it. Any extra output I lose plugging the ports would be made up with the additional sub?
No doubt. For the physical size of this thing, it has a lot of output. It is smaller than most of the other dual 15" designs, but has plenty of output in the 25-50Hz region, which I think is what makes it a great sounding sub.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There’s a return policy at SVS. Maybe the PB4000?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its a nice sub either way, but yeah I know what you mean.

Definitely can't blame you there! Well if it's not too much trouble... Keep me in the loop and let me know what you decide. I think I'd like to take on the project, but I'm not in a hurry and I'm pretty good on bass now as it is. It looks very powerful and well reviewed tho, and a little different. I've been googling.
More depends on what jgarcia decides to do with it....but if its still available I might just pick it up for myself if you don't want it then:) It was a poor man's version of the Seaton Submersive at the time....kinda wish I'd just gone for the Seaton in hindsight....oh well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
More depends on what jgarcia decides to do with it....but if its still available I might just pick it up for myself if you don't want it then:) It was a poor man's version of the Seaton Submersive at the time....kinda wish I'd just gone for the Seaton in hindsight....oh well.
I wouldn't be heartbroken if you decide you might want it. It'd definitely be in more capable hands with you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Telling ya ---- just get a non-powered sub and use external amps with high-pass filters and EQ (pro amps from Yamaha and Crown).

I've been using non-powered subs ever since I started this hobby. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looking at the PSA's numbers, their dual is larger, about 2X the price but has a few dB advantage in the 25-63Hz ranges. Just hesitant to pull the trigger at that price given the price since I just dumped a bunch of funds into the car.
PSA's SPL numbers aren't comparable. They are using a different benchmark that will allow greater numbers. And their own numbers have always been higher than third party numbers anyway. The basic design differences are informative though. The Empire used light, low-Xmax drivers which gave it huge upper-bass output but relatively constrained deep bass dynamic range. For an alternative to PSA's sealed dual 15", consider a pair of Hsu VTF-3 mk5s. It's roughly the same price, but will blow the doors off the PSA sub in terms of performance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
PSA's SPL numbers aren't comparable. They are using a different benchmark that will allow greater numbers. And their own numbers have always been higher than third party numbers anyway. The basic design differences are informative though. The Empire used light, low-Xmax drivers which gave it huge upper-bass output but relatively constrained deep bass dynamic range. For an alternative to PSA's sealed dual 15", consider a pair of Hsu VTF-3 mk5s. It's roughly the same price, but will blow the doors off the PSA sub in terms of performance.
I'm super happy with the twins. They can go subsonic with some authority.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis