It was bound to happen...Epik failed

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Empire has fallen. It lasted about 6 years on the replacement amp, but tonight it went in a nice sizzle and burnt cap smell. I wasn't even watching something heavy duty, so it was just time I guess. It served me well. So I will be looking for a new sub shortly. F15HP is a possibility, ULS-15 Mk2, SB4000?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
The Empire has fallen. It lasted about 6 years on the replacement amp, but tonight it went in a nice sizzle and burnt cap smell. I wasn't even watching something heavy duty, so it was just time I guess. It served me well. So I will be looking for a new sub shortly. F15HP is a possibility, ULS-15 Mk2, SB4000?
Can't replace the amp? Maybe?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yep, you can always just replace the amp. The problem is that amp has a filter that protected those drivers from high excursion in low frequencies, and you would want to put in a similar filter. Also, you would want to make sure that the replacement amp can handle the load of two drivers, which might make a tough load for an inexpensive amp.

If you want to try another sub but liked the design of the Empire, maybe wait for the new Hsu sub that is going to come out later this year. That uses dual side-mounted 15"s in a sealed cabinet. I'm guessing it may be out in two to three months.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yep, you can always just replace the amp. The problem is that amp has a filter that protected those drivers from high excursion in low frequencies, and you would want to put in a similar filter. Also, you would want to make sure that the replacement amp can handle the load of two drivers, which might make a tough load for an inexpensive amp.

If you want to try another sub but liked the design of the Empire, maybe wait for the new Hsu sub that is going to come out later this year. That uses dual side-mounted 15"s in a sealed cabinet. I'm guessing it may be out in two to three months.
It will have more than a high pass filter. It is a sealed sub and will have significant EQ. As you know sealed subs are inefficient, and require 6 db boost below F3 which is pretty much always at the top or a bit above the last octave. Then, because of this the high pass filter is required to prevent driver damage. The amp is a sealed sub has to work a lot harder then the amps is other designs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ohh.... new Hsu subs! Do thy have a trade up program like SVS?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ohh.... new Hsu subs! Do thy have a trade up program like SVS?
Nope, no trade in program. But unless you are reaching the edge of performance for your VTF-3 mk5s, I don't think new subs have much to offer you. Info about the new subs can be read in this article.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Can't replace the amp? Maybe?
Epik has long been out of business. The amp died once before and they replaced it for free, now I would have to look at other amps as Shady notes. Also I know there would be difficulties in finding something that just drops in and I am more inclined to replace it rather than DIY it. I am too busy with work these days to fix it myself.

Yes, would need to be sealed and/or servo, which is why I'd like to go Ryhmik, but I really do like this design. Has the benefit of output but sealed sound, though it does not dig quite as deep. The new HSU does sound like what I'll be interested in, but 2-3 months is probably too long.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope, no trade in program. But unless you are reaching the edge of performance for your VTF-3 mk5s, I don't think new subs have much to offer you. Info about the new subs can be read in this article.
I reached the edge of performance and NEED MORE SUBS!!! :p

Yeah, that's not true, lol. Tho that pipe organ number I posted in the subwoofer candy thread did push their limits for the first time since I've had them.

I'm thinking it might be a neat idea to get one as a 3rd and place it on the opposite side of the room from the twins behind us. 2 or 3 months, huh? I might have to start working on the wife now...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I reached the edge of performance and NEED MORE SUBS!!! :p

Yeah, that's not true, lol. Tho that pipe organ number I posted in the subwoofer candy thread did push their limits for the first time since I've had them.

I'm thinking it might be a neat idea to get one as a 3rd and place it on the opposite side of the room from the twins behind us. 2 or 3 months, huh? I might have to start working on the wife now...
If you are interested in better deep bass performance, look at the VTF15h mk2 or some other deeply tuned subs like the PB-4000 or Monolith 15" THX Ultra. The VTF-3 mk5 is good at deep bass, but there are better subs for reproducing stuff below 20 Hz. The only problem is that they all weigh a ton. One of the nice things about the VTF-5 mk5 is that it is a lot more physically manageable than other subs in its performance class. The only other sub that may be true of is the PC-4000. To be fair, that is a bigger issue for me than it is for most people, since I have to wrangle subs a lot more. These big bastards are breaking my back!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are interested in better deep bass performance, look at the VTF15h mk2 or some other deeply tuned subs like the PB-4000 or Monolith 15" THX Ultra. The VTF-3 mk5 is good at deep bass, but there are better subs for reproducing stuff below 20 Hz. The only problem is that they all weigh a ton. One of the nice things about the VTF-5 mk5 is that it is a lot more physically manageable than other subs in its performance class. The only other sub that may be true of is the PC-4000. To be fair, that is a bigger issue for me than it is for most people, since I have to wrangle subs a lot more. These big bastards are breaking my back!
Lol. Nah, I jest. I'm pretty set unless I wanna continually play 16 hz tones all day...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear. I would definitely add an external amp/minidsp but that's because I have spares :) My Empire is still chugging along on its original warranty replacement amp, think its a bit more than 7 years now on that amp. If I were in the bay area still I might be interested in taking it off your hands....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Epik has long been out of business. The amp died once before and they replaced it for free, now I would have to look at other amps as Shady notes. Also I know there would be difficulties in finding something that just drops in and I am more inclined to replace it rather than DIY it. I am too busy with work these days to fix it myself.

Yes, would need to be sealed and/or servo, which is why I'd like to go Ryhmik, but I really do like this design. Has the benefit of output but sealed sound, though it does not dig quite as deep. The new HSU does sound like what I'll be interested in, but 2-3 months is probably too long.
Rather than recycle it you could offer it to a member here for the cost of shipping. Repowering it and getting the Eq and high pass right would be a good project for someone. They would need measuring equipment and some DIY skills. This would be a doable and worthwhile project. This would be a good educational experience.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's not a horrible idea, doc. What all does one need as far as measuring equipment goes? Anything beyond a Umik mic and REW? Would I, er, I mean, a person need to purchase software and specialized equipment?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd need a way to implement the eq....a minidsp unit would work as it can import eq based on REW measurements.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rather than recycle it you could offer it to a member here for the cost of shipping. Repowering it and getting the Eq and high pass right would be a good project for someone. They would need measuring equipment and some DIY skills. This would be a doable and worthwhile project. This would be a good educational experience.
Normally it is a task I'd take on myself, but this sounds like an excellent idea. Price of shipping won't be cheap lol, I think it is around 125lbs and after ~10yrs, I definitely don't have the box around, but I'll work with someone if they're interested. Still a LOT cheaper than a new sub comparable to it.

Rythmik also offers the F25, but I think it might be a bit large and also is a bit pricey. They now offer the G25 HP but it is $2300. The dual 15" PSA is an option but the price is up compared to when it came out.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's not a horrible idea, doc. What all does one need as far as measuring equipment goes? Anything beyond a Umik mic and REW? Would I, er, I mean, a person need to purchase software and specialized equipment?
Not much. If you have omni mic and the DVDs that is one item.

You also need the Dayton woofer tester. This is now upgraded to the DATS V3. For a modest price increase this will add improved accuracy and sensitivity.

So to do this project you would get the Thiel/Small parameters and the impedance curve. Of particular importance would be knowing Fs of the drivers.

Now you would get the frequency response graphs with the Umik. Note the turnover frequency and F3 no Eq.

Now add 12 db peroctave starting at f3. Place a 12 db per octave high pass filter at fs of the drivers. Now measure again. You can fine tune based on the curves you get until everything looks optimal.

This would not be a difficult project and salvage the sub. I would favor using an external proamp rather than a plate amp. I suspect if all this was done carefully performance would actually be better than new, and certainly more reliable.

This project would be a very good introduction to DIY.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I saw T/S parameters for these drivers a long time ago on avsforum but it may have just been for the 12" little brother, the Legend....

This could be helpful https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5b11c1b6a201f10004e39d64?_k=a5wbsr

I might be making a trip down your way if you hold onto it for a while....but I seem to remember 120lbs for the sub itself sounds about right and boxing it up could be a pain...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
That sucks, John. Rickster has one and that thing really slams.

I'd love to hear that new Hsu... I wonder what it's going to cost.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pondering the whole sub thing, new to the mix is now the consideration for long term support not just life span of an ampo_O Still keeps open my options the same, but I think it bumps HSU and SVS to the top. Bonus would be if I can go listen to an SB-4000 at a local best buy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis