Isn't it time for parents to stop raising idiots?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure he was commenting on short, discrete moments in time.
Sure I am. If there was a time that the entire WORLD has all been headed in a good direction at the same time I'd love to hear about it. It's all give and take. We as a country may have been doing great, but there are plenty to point to that weren't. There's always been someone running a country that's been doing terrible things to people. Every decade has events where bad things have been happening on a large scale.

I think that instead of concentrating on how the WORLD is doing, we concentrate on ourselves and those around us. Then we can expand and make things better for our neighborhood, city, county, state, then country, THEN the world.

Can't fix the earth till we fix the small stuff we have control over.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You probably right. Then again sometimes those are all we have.
We have periods of devastating human behavior that spanned hundreds of years but we also have some bright spots.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
And yet, people who had bad parents can raise good kids. Hmmm. How does that happen? Maybe those people decided that they won't repeat the mistakes used on them?
Yep, that's exactly what happens, but this thread makes out like that's not possible. Parents have always been good and bad. None of the problems we have are new.

highfigh

highfigh

Sure I am. If there was a time that the entire WORLD has all been headed in a good direction at the same time I'd love to hear about it. It's all give and take. We as a country may have been doing great, but there are plenty to point to that weren't. There's always been someone running a country that's been doing terrible things to people. Every decade has events where bad things have been happening on a large scale.

I think that instead of concentrating on how the WORLD is doing, we concentrate on ourselves and those around us. Then we can expand and make things better for our neighborhood, city, county, state, then country, THEN the world.

Can't fix the earth till we fix the small stuff we have control over.
With so many people, how would it be possible for everyone to be headed in the same direction?

Your last comments look awfully similar to burying heads in sand. Then, when the carnage is noticed and someone asks why nothing was done, those who were thinking locally can safely say "Oh, I didn't notice".

We ALWAYS need to be looking at the World- it's too dangerous to ignore.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
With so many people, how would it be possible for everyone to be headed in the same direction?

Your last comments look awfully similar to burying heads in sand. Then, when the carnage is noticed and someone asks why nothing was done, those who were thinking locally can safely say "Oh, I didn't notice".

We ALWAYS need to be looking at the World- it's too dangerous to ignore.
But then we stress ourselves out to the point of no return, and all for events we can't control.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be aware, but we are TOO aware now. There needs to be a happy medium of awareness, but not to the point of obsession.

highfigh

highfigh

But then we stress ourselves out to the point of no return, and all for events we can't control.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be aware, but we are TOO aware now. There needs to be a happy medium of awareness, but not to the point of obsession.
So, we should ignore Russia, China, North Korea and our borders? Should we just ignore those who come in for 'education' and have a repeat of 9-11? While we're at it, let's dismantle our early warning system, too.

Ignorance may have been bliss in the past, but now, it can be lethal. When people want to kill others, I don't think there is a happy medium.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, we should ignore Russia, China, North Korea and our borders? Should we just ignore those who come in for 'education' and have a repeat of 9-11? While we're at it, let's dismantle our early warning system, too.

Ignorance may have been bliss in the past, but now, it can be lethal. When people want to kill others, I don't think there is a happy medium.
Yep, that's what I said. :rolleyes:

I'll worry about North Korea if you can tell me what I can personally do to change anything in that country. Being aware of something isn't the same as worrying about it.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Parents are mainly responsible but we have to keep in mind they have a limited window before the kids are fed into the educational system and the wider culture. If your child is not at least somewhat disciplined before they go to school full time, the system is not going to correct that. By this I mean, can sit still for a short period of time and focus, take orders from elders, not be glued to their smart phone, or at least be in some 'fear' of repercussions for their bad behaviour. Once they are in the educational system, you're not seeing them for most of the day and their teachers, course material, and friends become very prominent in their lives.

The shortcomings of the educational system would be another thread. Most of my family members are in the educational field, from teaching in Harlem, NYC to wealthier schools in the the suburbs. I just finished getting my kids through the educational python. If you don't know there is a problem in the schools, discipline being one of the major ones, you are not looking or do not know. If you don't think the 'evolution of culture' in the last 30 - 40 years does not have a effect well you might not be realistic.

Yeah suspensions but not celebrating the 'good ole days' of being whipped with a belt. :rolleyes:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Do you think the World is headed in a good direction?
Putin nukes? Could be a huge concern.
Inflation, gas, and food costs? Yes.
Teachers pushing sex ed too soon? Possibly.
Do I think they're teaching kids to be gay? No.

Is the world on the brink of collapse because there's a few idiot parents? No.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
s the world on the brink of collapse because there's a few idiot parents? No.
No but it could get on the brink caused by a few nuts in leadership throughout the world. Russia, China, N Korea, Iran.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
No but it could get on the brink caused by a few nuts in leadership throughout the world. Russia, China, N Korea, Iran.
Or Trump, should he be elected President again.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Lmao. You honestly believe that its much different elsewhere? You're out of touch with reality.
I am silly enough to believe that the cost of living in San Francisco is higher than San Antonio. You buy homes and cars based on your income. If it’s hard out there you have options. Change your location, change your income, change your attitude. Want less.
or continue to keep accurate data regarding median cost of living/ housing to satisfy your argument on why it’s so hard….everywhere.

just because I like you.

In March 2020 I advised those in my circle that the opportunity to change their lives was at hand. Some took my advice and pivoted in their careers, some stayed where they were.

I believe most people are one opportunity and a lot of hard work from creating the life they want. Start working, the opportunity will show up.

highfigh

highfigh

Yep, that's what I said. :rolleyes:

I'll worry about North Korea if you can tell me what I can personally do to change anything in that country. Being aware of something isn't the same as worrying about it.

OK, let's get rid of 'worry' and use 'be concerned by'. Worrying is unproductive, concern can lead to preparation.

WRT the rocking chair, it's fun to watch while someone goes too far.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
It's an intriguing question. I vote for the period right after the Berlin Wall came down and before the Gulf War as one of the few times in the last 40 years. Then Bush the Elder made his speech about the "New World Order" and raised taxes.
Read my lips: no new taxes!

His legacy crumbled right there hehehe.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
So when both parents have to work to make ends meet? This is now the norm, not the exception to the rule.

Of course parents have to be involved with their children, watchdog the schools and their children. But its a helluva lot more difficult when both parents have to work fulltime just to keep food in little Johnny's belly and clothes on his back. Being in a small town, I have it pretty easy as the school is just a couple blocks away. I can run over quickly at any time if I see something that concerns me. Not so easy for parents who can't leave work during work hours, or their school is an hour away from work. You have to trust that the school is doing whats in your child's best interest.

So whats the solution? Make new planned parenthood rules? Unless you make X dollars in a year and have Y amount of free time, you are no longer allowed to have children? Have a morals test? If you don't possess morals A, B and C, you can't have kids anymore? Sterilization? Sounds pretty Orwellian to me. And certainly not the solution to the problem.

The garage I manage is straight out of the 70s. We have an attached gas station and convenience store. Both my sons started putting in short 3 hour shifts a couple tmes a week when they turned 14. I actually had a teacher come to my shop and accuse me of child labour and threaten to report me to the authorities if I didn't stop making my children work. This is the kind of supreme stupidity parents have to put up with these days and only one example of it.

Children are no longer allowed to defend themselves from bullies. They have to report the bullies, and if they defend themselves, they get into as much trouble or more. So they just take the abuse until it builds and builds and finally they snap. Another example of book learned stupidity that parents have to deal with on a daily basis.
It's been that way for a long time now, and you'd have to outline for me how women always stayed at home years ago and for how long? Or did they too go to work after their children went to school FT? It sounds like a Pleasantville narrative, and I'd be curious to know how many women would return home if the taxes/costs were low enough? My impression is it goes beyond 70s womens lib, and many don't want to stay home all the time. So there's this idealized conservative outlook IMO. I'd start with the taxes and cost of goods and see where that goes. The former seems high to me when you make six figures and more. The wealthy are getting killed.

P

Push

Audioholic
It's been that way for a long time now, and you'd have to outline for me how women always stayed at home years ago and for how long? Or did they too go to work after their children went to school FT? It sounds like a Pleasantville narrative, and I'd be curious to know how many women would return home if the taxes/costs were low enough? My impression is it goes beyond 70s womens lib, and many don't want to stay home all the time. So there's this idealized conservative outlook IMO. I'd start with the taxes and cost of goods and see where that goes. The former seems high to me when you make six figures and more. The wealthy are getting killed.
I disagree. I think you'd find a substantial majority of families would love to be able to keep one parent at home, while the other worked, if it were financially possible. Doesn't matter which one.

I'm in Canada, so I can't comment on US tax burden, but our tax burden from lower middle class and up is effing rediculous. I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination, plain old middle class, and my burden of tax last year, according to my accountant, was 56%. Thats all taxes: carbon, income, municipal, sales, E&H, ad nauseum, ad infinitum. Its damned rediculous, and its one of the primary reasons why both parents have to work just for basic needs, much less to have any other kind of "excess".

highfigh

highfigh

I disagree. I think you'd find a substantial majority of families would love to be able to keep one parent at home, while the other worked, if it were financially possible. Doesn't matter which one.

I'm in Canada, so I can't comment on US tax burden, but our tax burden from lower middle class and up is effing rediculous. I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination, plain old middle class, and my burden of tax last year, according to my accountant, was 56%. Thats all taxes: carbon, income, municipal, sales, E&H, ad nauseum, ad infinitum. Its damned rediculous, and its one of the primary reasons why both parents have to work just for basic needs, much less to have any other kind of "excess".
Do most Canadians want to tax the crap oot of the wealthy? Members of our Congress use that as a battle cry, even though many of them are very wealthy- they talk about the wealthy as if it's a different group of people.

One area where more scrutiny is needed- politicians and their investments.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis