Isn't it time for parents to stop raising idiots?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Really, really, really, REALLY. If you haven't raised children, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO. Period. It can't be learned in a book. It can't be researched on the internet. You can't see it on Dr.Phil. So your opinion is worthless. Its like giving an opinion on the correct techinic of open heart surgery when you are a burger flipper at MacDonalds.
If you consider the title of the thread, it's quite apparent that there are plenty of parents out there who...HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO. Period.

P

Push

Audioholic
It seems to me, as a starting point, at least in a two-parent home, that it's the job of the parents to be involved in what's going on at their school, the activities their children partake in etc. Sure, it sounds good to say teachers aren't going their jobs anymore and discipling their students, but how do you know that's the case? Or do you want them to parent for you?
So when both parents have to work to make ends meet? This is now the norm, not the exception to the rule.

Of course parents have to be involved with their children, watchdog the schools and their children. But its a helluva lot more difficult when both parents have to work fulltime just to keep food in little Johnny's belly and clothes on his back. Being in a small town, I have it pretty easy as the school is just a couple blocks away. I can run over quickly at any time if I see something that concerns me. Not so easy for parents who can't leave work during work hours, or their school is an hour away from work. You have to trust that the school is doing whats in your child's best interest.

So whats the solution? Make new planned parenthood rules? Unless you make X dollars in a year and have Y amount of free time, you are no longer allowed to have children? Have a morals test? If you don't possess morals A, B and C, you can't have kids anymore? Sterilization? Sounds pretty Orwellian to me. And certainly not the solution to the problem.

The garage I manage is straight out of the 70s. We have an attached gas station and convenience store. Both my sons started putting in short 3 hour shifts a couple tmes a week when they turned 14. I actually had a teacher come to my shop and accuse me of child labour and threaten to report me to the authorities if I didn't stop making my children work. This is the kind of supreme stupidity parents have to put up with these days and only one example of it.

Children are no longer allowed to defend themselves from bullies. They have to report the bullies, and if they defend themselves, they get into as much trouble or more. So they just take the abuse until it builds and builds and finally they snap. Another example of book learned stupidity that parents have to deal with on a daily basis.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
So when both parents have to work to make ends meet? This is now the norm, not the exception to the rule.

Of course parents have to be involved with their children, watchdog the schools and their children. But its a helluva lot more difficult when both parents have to work fulltime just to keep food in little Johnny's belly and clothes on his back. Being in a small town, I have it pretty easy as the school is just a couple blocks away. I can run over quickly at any time if I see something that concerns me. Not so easy for parents who can't leave work during work hours, or their school is an hour away from work. You have to trust that the school is doing whats in your child's best interest.
And do you think maybe many women don't want to stay home while their kid is at school? There are more variables going on here than just cutting taxes and reducing living expenses. Plus we Americans tend to like our excesses. I mean it's kinda a double-edged sword.

P

Push

Audioholic
If you consider the title of the thread, it's quite apparent that there are plenty of parents out there who...HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO. Period.
Thats always been the case, for millenia there have been bad parents. I don't think there are a greater percentage of bad parents out there now than there was 50 years ago. So whats changed? Why all of a sudden to children feel the need to blow people away? Its not video games, two of my children are avid gamers and are well adjusted to normal life. One was nominated last year for a community youth worker award.

P

Push

Audioholic
And do you think maybe many women don't want to stay home while their kid is at school? There are more variables going on here than just cutting taxes and reducing living expenses. Plus we Americans tend to like our excesses. I mean it's kinda a double-edged sword.
I wasn't really talking about American excess. I'm talking about LIVING. Since I live in a small town of 900 people, you get to know everyone around you. You need two incomes these days, just to put food on the table, repairs in your vehicle, clothes on your back. Its not even about excess anymore, its about survival.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Don't these types of threads kind of sum up as I'm old and cynical and the world is falling apart when it actually might not be. It seems to me, as a starting point, at least in a two-parent home, that it's the job of the parents to be involved in what's going on at their school, the activities their children partake in etc. Sure, it sounds good to say teachers aren't going their jobs anymore and discipling their students, but how do you know that's the case? Or do you want them to parent for you?
Parents are mainly responsible but we have to keep in mind they have a limited window before the kids are fed into the educational system and the wider culture. If your child is not at least somewhat disciplined before they go to school full time, the system is not going to correct that. By this I mean, can sit still for a short period of time and focus, take orders from elders, not be glued to their smart phone, or at least be in some 'fear' of repercussions for their bad behaviour. Once they are in the educational system, you're not seeing them for most of the day and their teachers, course material, and friends become very prominent in their lives.

The shortcomings of the educational system would be another thread. Most of my family members are in the educational field, from teaching in Harlem, NYC to wealthier schools in the the suburbs. I just finished getting my kids through the educational python. If you don't know there is a problem in the schools, discipline being one of the major ones, you are not looking or do not know. If you don't think the 'evolution of culture' in the last 30 - 40 years does not have a effect well you might not be realistic.

P

Push

Audioholic
No not always, for there is a big difference between 'need & want' and you're right, we Americans loves our excesses ! :p
It may be different where you live. Where I live, median income and median costs for basic needs means two incomes, or at least 1 1/2, if you want to raise a family. Starter homes, just your basic everyday 1100 sq.ft. home, 20 yrs old, start around that 200K range. Don't want to own a home? Ok, 2 bedroom apartments in the area rent for $750/mo. 2 bedroom homes rent for $1000. A modest vehicle, $200 bi weekly. Gas to get to work? I'm $135/wk, but I'd be on the higher end. Say $80/wk. Power is 75 bucks/mo. Natural gas averages at $150/mo. No food mentioned, no clothes mentioned. See how much is left out of an $18 - $20/hr job with a staggering Canadian tax rates.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
It may be different where you live. Where I live, median income and median costs for basic needs means two incomes, or at least 1 1/2, if you want to raise a family. Starter homes, just your basic everyday 1100 sq.ft. home, 20 yrs old, start around that 200K range. Don't want to own a home? Ok, 2 bedroom apartments in the area rent for $750/mo. 2 bedroom homes rent for $1000. A modest vehicle, $200 bi weekly. Gas to get to work? I'm $135/wk, but I'd be on the higher end. Say $80/wk. Power is 75 bucks/mo. Natural gas averages at $150/mo. No food mentioned, no clothes mentioned. See how much is left out of an $18 - $20/hr job with a staggering Canadian tax rates.
Move.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you weren't taught how to parent by your own parents, not really a way to learn that on your own. Everyone is winging it anyway. Some do a better job than others.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't these types of threads kind of sum up as I'm old and cynical and the world is falling apart when it actually might not be. It seems to me, as a starting point, at least in a two-parent home, that it's the job of the parents to be involved in what's going on at their school, the activities their children partake in etc. Sure, it sounds good to say teachers aren't going their jobs anymore and discipling their students, but how do you know that's the case? Or do you want them to parent for you?
Do you think the World is headed in a good direction?

highfigh

highfigh

No not always, for there is a big difference between 'need & want' and you're right, we Americans loves our excesses ! :p
No, no, no- you got it all wrong! Americans NEED their excesses.

highfigh

highfigh

If you weren't taught how to parent by your own parents, not really a way to learn that on your own. Everyone is winging it anyway. Some do a better job than others.
And yet, people who had bad parents can raise good kids. Hmmm. How does that happen? Maybe those people decided that they won't repeat the mistakes used on them?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That's one of the most pessimistic comments I have ever read.
Well its at the moment, true. The War in the Ukraine, China flexing their might with Taiwan, N Korea shooting off more rockets, gas prices out of control, still issues with COVID, Healthcare, Hunger, Climate, its not all pretty and nice world wide.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
That's one of the most pessimistic comments I have ever read.
It's an intriguing question. I vote for the period right after the Berlin Wall came down and before the Gulf War as one of the few times in the last 40 years. Then Bush the Elder made his speech about the "New World Order" and raised taxes.

highfigh

highfigh

It's an intriguing question. I vote for the period right after the Berlin Wall came down and before the Gulf War as one of the few times in the last 40 years. Then Bush the Elder made his speech about the "New World Order" and raised taxes.
I'm not sure he was commenting on short, discrete moments in time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis