Is XBOX Dolby Vision a system wide set and forget?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Or do you have additional app by app parms that you need to play with.

I'm assuming D.V. is the dynamic tone mapping option.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure about XB, but on PS5 HDR is is a global setting. There are minor adjustments at the game level, but I have not seen any for any apps.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So I can feed a PJ with the XBOX doing the HDR to SDR dynamic tone mapping... So no Lumagen, HD Fury etc needed?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The XBOX Series X/S will output the Menu in SDR. You can set it to allow HDR10 for content that supports it. You can set SDR games for Auto HDR to convert them to HDR10 for output. You can set it to allow Dolby Vision for Videos and also for Games. Only those videos and games that support it will be output in Dolby Vision. Otherwise, they will be output in SDR. They will output in HDR10 if they support it or if Auto HDR is enabled. You can set the display to HGIG when outputting in HDR10 so only the XBOX handles the tone mapping or use the display's tone mapping feature on top of it. Tone mapping will not be selectable in the display when outputting in Dolby Vision.

Forgot, while the XBOX Series X supports Dolby Vision for streaming content and games, it does not support Dolby Vision for UHD disc playback. Stupid.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Forgot, while the XBOX Series X supports Dolby Vision for streaming content and games, it does not support Dolby Vision for UHD disc playback. Stupid.
Dang. My XBOX has Dolby Vision button but it's grayed out.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My other option is a JRiver based HTPC running JRVR. Supposedly it will run on a Raspberry Pi4

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Is the MadVR really $8,000?
Yep. I had an xbox one that would do HDR to SDR tone mapping, but it was crippled on the audio side. No HD codec support. It can upmix to Atmos, but not before downmixing everything to AAC stereo. No thanks. Similar situation to some of the Amazon Fire devices. I'm a Shield TV guy and haven't had any issues in a very long time.

Plex on the HTPC or Kodi would probably do what you want, but I thought Jriver would also?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yep. I had an xbox one that would do HDR to SDR tone mapping, but it was crippled on the audio side. No HD codec support. It can upmix to Atmos, but not before downmixing everything to AAC stereo. No thanks. Similar situation to some of the Amazon Fire devices. I'm a Shield TV guy and haven't had any issues in a very long time.

Plex on the HTPC or Kodi would probably do what you want, but I thought Jriver would also?
JRiver with their JRVR uses the same Linux library as MadVR. It's the direction I'm looking at going. Plus they state it will work on a Raspberry Pi4.

T

tculverjames

Audiophyte
The XBOX Series X/S will output the Menu in SDR. You can set it to allow HDR10 for content that supports it. You can set SDR games for Auto HDR to convert them to HDR10 for output. You can set it to allow Dolby Vision for Videos and also for Games. Only those videos and games that support it will be output in Dolby Vision. Otherwise, they will be output in SDR. They will output in HDR10 if they support it or if Auto HDR is enabled. You can set the display to HGIG when outputting in HDR10 so only the XBOX handles the tone mapping or use the display's tone mapping feature on top of it. Tone mapping will not be selectable in the display when outputting in Dolby Vision.

Forgot, while the XBOX Series X supports Dolby Vision for streaming content and games like car fridge, it does not support Dolby Vision for UHD disc playback. Stupid.
I have an LG C7 OLED TV, which accepts a Dolby Vision signal, so I was very excited by the announcement that the latest firmware allows for Dolby Vision instead of the open HDR standard for the Xbox games that have HDR. The issue I'm running into is that when I now play games the use of the Dolby Vision (HDR) varies wildly. Some titles have the colors way over-saturated, and when I correct for that the other titles don't look as good.

I am wondering if anyone here is using an LG OLED with Dolby Vision and can point me in the direction of calibration settings (at least a good starting point) for my set so that I'm not constantly fiddling with the settings.

Thanks for the advice/insight.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have an LG C7 OLED TV, which accepts a Dolby Vision signal, so I was very excited by the announcement that the latest firmware allows for Dolby Vision instead of the open HDR standard for the Xbox games that have HDR. The issue I'm running into is that when I now play games the use of the Dolby Vision (HDR) varies wildly. Some titles have the colors way over-saturated, and when I correct for that the other titles don't look as good.

I am wondering if anyone here is using an LG OLED with Dolby Vision and can point me in the direction of calibration settings (at least a good starting point) for my set so that I'm not constantly fiddling with the settings.

Thanks for the advice/insight.
Rtings is a good placce to start, but each panel is apparently a bit different so paying for a calibration, or getting the equipment to do it yourself would probably be the best thing. Especially if you're having to change settings for each game. That has to be annoying.

I'd also check to see if any patches are available for those games since they seem to be buggy. You shouldn't have to calibrate for each game. Calibration is for the panel.

Does the Xbox have any sort of calibration you can do? That could help too since you could change settings on the console instead of the TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I've changed settings many, many times on my C1 and Xbox Series S. I prefer HDR10 just a tiny bit over Dolby Vision for HDR games. There are HDR calibration settings in the XBOX. I use them and then set the C1 Tone Mapping to HGIG when using HDR10. If the XBOX could just output everything, including Home, in Dolby Vision like some devices, I'd probably just set it there and leave it.

JastinFerro

JastinFerro

Audiophyte
The difference is felt when Dolby Atmos is installed on the Xbox

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Or do you have additional app by app parms that you need to play with.

I'm assuming D.V. is the dynamic tone mapping option.
With my Sony Bravia TV set to DV (for some reason only a couple of inputs are capable of DV), being driven by a Roku Ultra set to output DV, DVision has a less picture adjustment available on the TV compared to HDRxxx. This may be the norm? I googled setting up DV and found most sites recommend only adjusting a couple of the available settings and leaving the other at their default. I mostly concur after playing around with the settings and then going back to the defaults. Overall, I'm happier with the DV picture quality than the HRDxxx with more adjustments or not. So that's what I'm sticking with.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hadn’t changed XBOX settings since last couple of updates but did read something recently about Dolby Vision output also now being available for some non HDR games with Auto HDR setting on and it did work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis