Is this worth fixing?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately, to-days repairs are simple a replacement of the offending board.
Yes, that's why I said right after that "(other than outright board replacement)".....altho you still need to access/analyze which board.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with the group. If what you want is a learning project then $20 isn't big deal. If what you want is a working AVR then it is not worth the fuss.

The other I day threw out a 10 year old low end Pioneer receiver that required 15 minutes of warm up time before any sound appeared. I would bet that the problem is that the unit had developed some weak solder joint(s) on a circuit board which closed when expanded by heat. The fix would have been easier than what you would face here. It would just be a matter of going over the solder joints with an iron. Frankly I don't need a 10 year old budget backup AVR and I wouldn't want to fuss with the problems that would arise from selling it to someone. So I tossed it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think I'm going to pass on this one. I don't have any test equipment as of yet but eventually want to learn how to fix these things. :)
Then I highly recommend the YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/@LearnElectronicsRepair
He actually just started a beginner series yesterday, but there are videos that explain specific components and videos that describe how to read schematics and how to troubleshoot systems of various types.

There is also Electronics Repair School (mostly laptop computers) and Uncle Doug for vintage guitar amps. Mr Carlson's Lab is mostly vintage radio gear and I find Mend It Mark entertaining for audio gear repair. You'll probably want to avoid the vintage amp repairs as the high voltages in tube amps are quite dangerous. Learn Electronics Repair and Mend It Mark are a good place to start. There are many hours of content on YouTube. I would recommend working on vintage audio gear to start to keep it simple. As soon as you add video into the mix things get much more complicated.

C

chaz57

Enthusiast
Yes, that's why I said right after that "(other than outright board replacement)".....altho you still need to access/analyze which board.
True, true 15 year in the Navy and we were replacing components. Got hired by a high tech firm and it was all module replacement which required a different form of equipment repair. Had to use specialized jigs to verify suspected failures, know Unix to input commands to enable various subsections of the equipment. But there was still the O-scope and multimeters use in order to absolutely confirm fails as we had to send the module back to manufacturer to get credit for the replacement module

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I repaired mostly car audio and home audio equipment and some DJ gear. Hated working on TVs. 20kV from a flyback transformer will do that. :D We also got a surprise call from a company out west that was installing the first drive through truck weigh stations in Canada. They were controlled by PDP11 computers, which I just happened to have experience with through electrical engineering courses. That ended up being mostly board swaps but was a nice break from the daily routine.

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
Is it worth it financially? Hell, No. In my area, a quick look at CL shows me a Denon AVR-1610, a much newer generation with actual HDMI ports, for $50.
There is also a Sony STR-DG720 asking $65 - I'm sure they agree for $50 or less.
Both are in fine working condition.

If you think you can get the tools and spend hours for less than $45?? Best of luck to you :)

Now, if you are looking for a learning experience, you can take it from that dude's hands for free or, to let him not feel too bad, give him $5 tops.
So almost a month later, he gave it to me for free. I'll still get a better (and newer) unit for a secondary receiver down the road, but this one will make for a good learning experience.

Skye ezer

Skye ezer

Audiophyte
Then I highly recommend the YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/@LearnElectronicsRepair
He actually just started a beginner series yesterday, but there are videos that explain specific components and videos that describe how to read schematics and how to troubleshoot systems of various types.

There is also Electronics Repair School (mostly laptop computers) and Uncle Doug for vintage guitar amps. Mr Carlson's Lab is mostly vintage radio gear and I find Mend It Mark entertaining for audio gear repair. You'll probably want to avoid the vintage amp repairs as the high voltages in tube amps are quite dangerous. Learn Electronics Repair and Mend It Mark are a good place to start. Even if you get stuck with this assignment, there are lab report writers that I can recommend. For Canadian students https://ca.edubirdie.com/lab-report-writing-services might be just what you need. Don't despair and keep moving forward to achieve success. There are many hours of content on YouTube. I would recommend working on vintage audio gear to start to keep it simple. As soon as you add video into the mix things get much more complicated.
I haven't seen this channel before, but now I'll subscribe. Thanks. It explains things clearly and simply enough to understand. Even for me :)

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't seen this channel before, but now I'll subscribe. Thanks. It explains things clearly and simply enough to understand. Even for me :)
Yes, there is a lot of content there but his beginner series is good for those starting out. For those familiar with the basics, he has an "All you need to know" series about specific components, the latest on op amps. He takes the time to sketch things out on paper which makes it easy to understand. I'll watch some of his material just to refresh my old brain cells :D but I watch mostly to see his diagnostic techniques, which is the more challenging part of repair work.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis