Is there really a difference?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Hegel, just at a buddys house. I have two dealers here I deal with, and one I probably wont deal with much any more. The other, I have know since childhood. And after my service career, he pretty much let me use (audition ) gear for months at a time. Pretty much at my leisure. Sometimes I may only use things for a month or two and some as long as 6 months.
So I got plenty of enjoyment and he got lots of business sent his way. Plus I usually got unheard of deals.
So the answer would be "no" apparently.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I miss your signature warning us all not to trust you. :p
I just got bored with quoting GrimSurfer, as much as it amused me for a few weeks. After getting banned on AH he started posting on audiosciencereview.com and shortly got banned there for having a temper tantrum, involving their lead moderator no less. And I'm pretty sure, though he didn't name me, he once referred to me as a "twit" in a discussion on that site. To paraphrase our other banned friend, MarkW, I'm apparently living rent-free in his head. Talk about a low-rent property...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Truthslayer you can dislike it but you still haven't presented anything to answer my question. Your anecdotal experience is fairly meaningless to the rest of us....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

Speaking of Hegel.....

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
So the answer would be "no" apparently.
@Truthslayer you can dislike it but you still haven't presented anything to answer my question. Your anecdotal experience is fairly meaningless to the rest of us....
Wow, I guess your reading skills are apparently lacking today. Or you just fell off your bunkbed this morning giving you a little attitude today. We should all bow down to your expertise.
God forbid someone has an opinion that doesn't conform to yours. You don't have to care about or even like my opinions or experiences. Sorry I haven't had the Hegel in my house (where I could enjoy it even more) personally.

Maybe you don't realize how your arrogance comes off to some people and maybe that was not your intention.
But if you don't like my opinions or experiences you shouldn't always feel the need to come at me. Its pretty easy for so many now a days sitting behind a keyboard to think they are the expert. Now if your looking for some sort of measurement test's to prove my opinion, sorry there is none. I will let other's do the measuring and let my ears be the judge. To me, in the end, that's all that counts. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, I guess your reading skills are apparently lacking today. Or you just fell off your bunkbed this morning giving you a little attitude today. We should all bow down to your expertise.
God forbid someone has an opinion that doesn't conform to yours. You don't have to care about or even like my opinions or experiences. Sorry I haven't had the Hegel in my house (where I could enjoy it even more) personally.

Maybe you don't realize how your arrogance comes off to some people and maybe that was not your intention.
But if you don't like my opinions or experiences you shouldn't always feel the need to come at me. Its pretty easy for so many now a days sitting behind a keyboard to think they are the expert. Now if your looking for some sort of measurement test's to prove my opinion, sorry there is none. I will let other's do the measuring and let my ears be the judge. To me, in the end, that's all that counts. ;)
LOL look who's being arrogant when asked a simple question he can't answer properly let alone apparently has any actual experience with....but then you have several odd ideas.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
LOL look who's being arrogant when asked a simple question he can't answer properly let alone apparently has any actual experience with....but then you have several odd ideas.
I spoke of one Hegel product (H590 ) which is all I can speak on because I have no history with Hegel products.
As far as to how many exact number of amps or integrated/amps I have auditioned, sorry I haven't kept a count for you. Most people lives aren't dedicated to keeping a count or testing for specs, so they can later post them up on the net for your enjoyment.
Now I know you like to poke fun at my, as you say, so called golden ears. While I am happy to have pretty good hearing considering everything throughout my life. If you are unable to hear certain things, I don't know why you always feel the need to question what someone may or may not be able to hear. Does it really affect you or bother you that much. That you continually feel the need to question ones experiences or opinions.
If my previous post came off as arrogant, that was not my intention and my mistake. I imagine the same may as well go for yourself, not knowing how you can come off sounding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I spoke of one Hegel product (H590 ) which is all I can speak on because I have no history with Hegel products.
As far as to how many exact number of amps or integrated/amps I have auditioned, sorry I haven't kept a count for you. Most people lives aren't dedicated to keeping a count or testing for specs, so they can later post them up on the net for your enjoyment.
Now I know you like to poke fun at my, as you say, so called golden ears. While I am happy to have pretty good hearing considering everything throughout my life. If you are unable to hear certain things, I don't know why you always feel the need to question what someone may or may not be able to hear. Does it really affect you or bother you that much. That you continually feel the need to question ones experiences or opinions.
If my previous post came off as arrogant, that was not my intention and my mistake. I imagine the same may as well go for yourself, not knowing how you can come off sounding.
You're completely missing the point of the value of your subjective consumption habits....

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
You're completely missing the point of the value of your subjective consumption habits....
That could be true, however if and when I get the opportunities to have gear in my home. I don't need (usually) more than a month or two, to form an opinion or know if I like it or not. And it's fine with me if you don't value or like to dismiss my opinions. Yes, my consumption habits have taken a major decrease in the past couple of years. I no longer feel the need to continue to waste the time or money as I have in the past chasing the perfect system. I am as some would say, content to were I am now.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I get your point HD!

I think too much time is spent on the chase of electronic components instead of a better quality speakers like you mentioned in private conversation!

Prior to bass management and room correction software a man had to focus on speaker quality.

Nowadays it seems more time is spent on appearance rather than function, 3 db more headroom instead of having an amp that is sufficient for the variable impedance of the speaker drivers.

With bass management a huge factor when considering gear and the use of dedicated subs I personally doubt one hears much difference between components except when forcing the component like an AVR to run without the bass management circuit.

I definitely am not an expert in this area. My experience with a JVC AVR prior to my sub and bass management utilizing my Studio 100s as Large always overloaded the AVR and it shut down.

With my Anthem MCA 50 even with the 100s run as Large and no sub I never had a shut down. That’s not to say I was aware of my ignorance then either.

My amp could have clipped but truthfully I’ve never wanted to test the limits of any part of my system since I really do not enjoy replacing any gear out of stupidity!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That could be true, however if and when I get the opportunities to have gear in my home. I don't need (usually) more than a month or two, to form an opinion or know if I like it or not. And it's fine with me if you don't value or like to dismiss my opinions. Yes, my consumption habits have taken a major decrease in the past couple of years. I no longer feel the need to continue to waste the time or money as I have in the past chasing the perfect system. I am as some would say, content to were I am now.
The point is more about reflections on certain frequency response experiences you've had without anything to go on particularly except that it pleases you. Pretty useless in the general sense. At least you're coming to a reasonable conclusion about much of the electronics' value in the big picture....

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
The point is more about reflections on certain frequency response experiences you've had without anything to go on particularly except that it pleases you. Pretty useless in the general sense. At least you're coming to a reasonable conclusion about much of the electronics' value in the big picture....
Well I try to get along with everybody, whether we agree or disagree. And they or you at times, may not agree with some of my ideas as you say. I am in no way the worlds expert, nor do I claim to be. I do have some what more experiences than a lot of people when it comes to getting an idea of how things in the world really work. I don't need any news source be it the left or the right, to try and convince me one way or the other of the agenda they are trying to push. In my years in the Corps, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world. I have seen many things that many would not believe or even think possible. So I am very grateful for that. And I should know better to let someone on the internet get me riled up, but unfortunately I am only human and have my flaws to.

I do understand what your speaking of when referring to frequency response, reflections, bass management, timing, phase and all that Jazz( LOL) . In the end all that should count and matter is how it sounds in the end. Audio doesn't and shouldn't always be about the specs and numbers game. End the end all that should matter is how that product sounds and does it please your ears. That's why I hate when people start comparing speakers and so forth, saying one sounds better than the other. I only care about what sounds good to me, not the other guy. It's my cash and enjoyment that concern me. If someone finds my experience or opinions useless, well good for them. All I can do is give my opinion. And as with anyone else's opinion, they should all be taken with a grain of salt. When it comes to the audio experience, no one's personal opinion should take precedence over another's. It's the person buying and listen who owe it to themselves, to make their own judgement.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
The only thing missing tonight is a Budweiser, a few good tunes and a handshake since it takes the tension of the ball busting we all get at times ;)

It’s almost more entertainment to read on this forum then watch a movie with a hundred million dollar budget:D

O

Ollie_2003

Audiophyte
Keep your money, it's not a switch worth making, the difference isn't noticeable.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
To paraphrase our other banned friend, MarkW
Again ?!?

Even though I love Mark, I keep him on ignore because his posts are well, what gets him banned.

I guess I missed 'the incident'.

Based on past measurements, the $599 AVR is only a touch less powerful than the A-S801, about 0.8 dB, that's all.
So what you're saying is that he needs a MUCH bigger amp. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I try to get along with everybody, whether we agree or disagree. And they or you at times, may not agree with some of my ideas as you say. I am in no way the worlds expert, nor do I claim to be. I do have some what more experiences than a lot of people when it comes to getting an idea of how things in the world really work. I don't need any news source be it the left or the right, to try and convince me one way or the other of the agenda they are trying to push. In my years in the Corps, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world. I have seen many things that many would not believe or even think possible. So I am very grateful for that. And I should know better to let someone on the internet get me riled up, but unfortunately I am only human and have my flaws to.

I do understand what your speaking of when referring to frequency response, reflections, bass management, timing, phase and all that Jazz( LOL) . In the end all that should count and matter is how it sounds in the end. Audio doesn't and shouldn't always be about the specs and numbers game. End the end all that should matter is how that product sounds and does it please your ears. That's why I hate when people start comparing speakers and so forth, saying one sounds better than the other. I only care about what sounds good to me, not the other guy. It's my cash and enjoyment that concern me. If someone finds my experience or opinions useless, well good for them. All I can do is give my opinion. And as with anyone else's opinion, they should all be taken with a grain of salt. When it comes to the audio experience, no one's personal opinion should take precedence over another's. It's the person buying and listen who owe it to themselves, to make their own judgement.
All true, but people who designed amps such as Hegel's only have specs/measurements/numbers to go with in the outset. If the end product, Hegel, Anthem, or Mc's measured great but do not sound great when used well below its limits, then it is likely due to other devices in the chain upstream or downstream, and/or the source media and/or the individual's preference of certain coloration from certain distortions are missing.

Unlike art, I assume we can agree that science and engineering are mainly based on facts and figures. We don't design amps to sound good to certain people for obvious reasons, so we design amps to just amplify the input signal faithfully right?

Good to know we can exchange ideas and arguments freely and yet still get along reasonably well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Again ?!?

Even though I love Mark, I keep him on ignore because his posts are well, what gets him banned.

I guess I missed 'the incident'.

So what you're saying is that he needs a MUCH bigger amp. :)
My own rule of thumb is, for someone who wants to benefit from a more powerful amp than 100/150 W 8/4 ohms, go for something rated 200/300 W as minimum. That's assuming the need is there to begin with.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"The Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier was a delightful product to review. Given the latest resurgence in two-channel audio, it was great to see Yamaha take a classic designed product and bring it up to date to meet the modern audiophiles needs of streaming high resolution digital audio. The A-S801 has a nice meaty amp section that is honestly rated and sounds great driving a wide diversity of speakers even at high sustained output levels. It runs cool to the touch, even when being left on all day long which was often the case when used as part of my PC desktop system. Whether you're playing analog or digital audio, you can rest assured the A-S801 will bring your system to new sonic heights."

Bob257, again, enjoy the music on your Yamaha receiver. Save the $6500.00 for that MA-352 McIntosh and invest it in your Roth IRA instead.

B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
I wish I could audition them side by side. I do use a sub, although not a great one. I'm using a Polk PSW10. It does seem to compliment the Focal

B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all of the input! I just have to relax and maybe the thought of getting a new amp will diminish

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis