Is there a reason to wait for next-generation Sony OLED?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Look at this comparison. The M series kills it on black level and color gamet is pretty much the same as the P series:
Man thanks! That's why I said maybe Vizio's M series. 80O nits plus the 90 Deming zones are very good over a lot of units out there that cost a lot more. The Vizio M can be had for 1k right now. For what I need and I don't do Gaming., That Vizio M sits as the best 4K UHD HRS for the money hands down. I saw where it sat with all of them in ratings, Samsung, Sony, LG all them are Stealing peoples money for not much more than you get. I'm gonna have try and do a look see if I can at a BB store. It better Convinced me paying 1500 more for a OLEG. I can see myself setting 8' from a 65" 4K with 800 nits. like said at my age my old eyes plus I wear Bifocal glasses Vizio's QP with 2k nits I'd more than likely would have to put my sunglasses on also. lol but really I get why 2k nit are awesome, for brite rooms and all. I'm looking for more nits to match a much better UHD,Dolby vision Experience! As you know Probably? I have, GOT 8th season on 4K UHD and it's Impressive in 4K Viewing on my Vizio V55". I can't wait to watch GOT 8th season best ever! that last line goes out to all the haters on GOT 8th season. On a Vizio M or P 65"! with 800 or 2K nits! I want no! I need more Cowbell! lol. But really Bro thanks a lot for posting up those links. Cleared up lot! If I may say something, My Son has Sony's top dog 75" it has A beautiful picture, but for me? I really didn't think it was that brite for a OLED. He got it at BestBuy paid over $7500 plus not Counting taxes. That's a lot of money for not much Cowbell in my book.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man thanks! That's why I said maybe Vizio's M series. 80O nits plus the 90 Deming zones are very good over a lot of units out there that cost a lot more. The Vizio M can be had for 1k right now. For what I need and I don't do Gaming., That Vizio M sits as the best 4K UHD HRS for the money hands down. I saw where it sat with all of them in ratings, Samsung, Sony, LG all them are Stealing peoples money for not much more than you get. I'm gonna have try and do a look see if I can at a BB store. It better Convinced me paying 1500 more for a OLEG. I can see myself setting 8' from a 65" 4K with 800 nits. like said at my age my old eyes plus I wear Bifocal glasses Vizio's QP with 2k nits I'd more than likely would have to put my sunglasses on also. lol but really I get why 2k nit are awesome, for brite rooms and all. I'm looking for more nits to match a much better UHD,Dolby vision Experience! As you know Probably? I have, GOT 8th season on 4K UHD and it's Impressive in 4K Viewing on my Vizio V55". I can't wait to watch GOT 8th season best ever! that last line goes out to all the haters on GOT 8th season. On a Vizio M or P 65"! with 800 or 2K nits! I want no! I need more Cowbell! lol. But really Bro thanks a lot for posting up those links. Cleared up lot! If I may say something, My Son has Sony's top dog 75" it has A beautiful picture, but for me? I really didn't think it was that brite for a OLED. He got it at BestBuy paid over $7500 plus not Counting taxes. That's a lot of money for not much Cowbell in my book.
I love my cheapo 70" Vizio. Paid less than a grand for it and it does it's job as a kid entertainer wonderfully.

However, if I were to buy a high end Vizio, I'd get an extended warranty due to the fact that they are still not a top tier manufacturer. Makes it SOOO much easier to get things fixed/replaced if you need to.

Mines been perfect since day one and it was cheap so I'm good. I'd be leary of a high end Vizio just because they source their panels from other manufacturers so quality is a concern.

Not saying they aren't good (they very much are). Just saying you should protect yourself.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I love my cheapo 70" Vizio. Paid less than a grand for it and it does it's job as a kid entertainer wonderfully.

However, if I were to buy a high end Vizio, I'd get an extended warranty due to the fact that they are still not a top tier manufacturer. Makes it SOOO much easier to get things fixed/replaced if you need to.

Mines been perfect since day one and it was cheap so I'm good. I'd be leary of a high end Vizio just because they source their panels from other manufacturers so quality is a concern.

Not saying they aren't good (they very much are). Just saying you should protect yourself.
Funny you just mentioned Extended warranties, really not kidding I was just on Crutchfields site looking at Sony's. Crutchfield doesn't carry Vizio. I just got off of, BestBuys site looking at Vizio's QP and the P and M Series. BB has a P 70" for 1699.00. I just happened to check Bestbuys Extended warranties. Yeah I'll Definitely add no less than a three-year warranty.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I would look at rtings dot com or hdtvtest on youtube. They both have great reviews on TV’s. From what I have seen the improvements to this years models from last years are gaming features like HDMI 2.1 (on some units) with ALM (auto latency mode) and BFI (black frame insertion) for motion clarity. Not much has changed with picture quality from last year.
I have not been all that impressed with this year’s lineup. If I were you I would either buy last years model of the TV you like or wait until next year to see what improvements have been made. If you are interested in the new features this year and can’t wait then you will be paying the extra money for gaming features and motion clarity.
Just a heads up, add BFI this year has actually dropped the peak brightness for most of the TV’s. The function can be turned off though.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I would look at rtings dot com or hdtvtest on youtube. They both have great reviews on TV’s. From what I have seen the improvements to this years models from last years are gaming features like HDMI 2.1 (on some units) with ALM (auto latency mode) and BFI (black frame insertion) for motion clarity. Not much has changed with picture quality from last year.
I have not been all that impressed with this year’s lineup. If I were you I would either buy last years model of the TV you like or wait until next year to see what improvements have been made. If you are interested in the new features this year and can’t wait then you will be paying the extra money for gaming features and motion clarity.
Just a heads up, add BFI this year has actually dropped the peak brightness for most of the TV’s. The function can be turned off though.
Good points!

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
At some point in the next 8 months, I will purchase a 55" OLED television, to add to my collection of "Museum Grade" equipment; equipment that I will only use in the event that my present-day audio & video equipment breaks down and becomes un-repairable. So far. I've accumulated an Integra DRC R1.1 a/v processor, an Oppo UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray player (modified, region free), four KLIPSCH RF-7III speakers, a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer, a Klipsch SPL 150 subwoofer and two Klipsch RP-502S surround speakers. My next purchases will be a 7-channel power amplifier and a 55" OLED television.
Sony is being vague as to whether their next generation OLED T.V.'s will arrive in 2020 or even in 2021. It's a strange marketing strategy to introduce a new videogame console that outputs HDMI 2.1 , but have no television in their product line which has an HDMI 2.1 input. Granted, I'm not into videogaming (I have two older videogame consoles which are connected to my system, but which I haven't turned on for years), but if I ever decide to get back into videogames, it would be nice to have a television which has all the latest technology.
I'm aware that LG offers the only OLED televisions that have HDMI 2.1, and all the other features required by next generation videogame consoles. LG's latest OLED sets also have compatability(though it may be via firmware update) with the next generation of ATSC broadcasts (Over the air 4K broadcasts).
I know that Sony OLED sets have a fancy sound system which uses the OLED panel itself as a speaker, but I never use my television's built-in sound system, unless I'm trying to avoid waking up sleeping family members late at night or early in the morning. I have a powerful 5.1 audio system. (my museum grade system is 7.1)
Are Sony's next generation OLED sets worth waiting for when LG sets offer the next generation video technology now? I've never owned any LG products. Are they any good? What is their reliability? I know that LG is a long-established South Korean company. I'm also aware that no matter what brand of OLED set that you buy, the actual OLED panel comes from the same manufacturer. And LG has a lower price ($400 less than the equivalent Sony).
Any opinions from you videophiles? I'm 64 years old, and see my museum grade system as an endgame purchase to take me through my remaining years on this planet. By the end of the year, my state (Florida) will be one of only two states that doesn't have an internet tax(For purchases from out of state merchants that don't have a physical presence in my state). The soonest that my state's legislature can resume discussion.of an internet tax proposal at the committee level is in mid-March 2021. Obviously I'll have obtained a T.V. and power amplifier long before such a law could take effect.
Is the purchase of the LG OLED set a good idea?

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
At some point in the next 8 months, I will purchase a 55" OLED television, to add to my collection of "Museum Grade" equipment; equipment that I will only use in the event that my present-day audio & video equipment breaks down and becomes un-repairable. So far. I've accumulated an Integra DRC R1.1 a/v processor, an Oppo UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray player (modified, region free), four KLIPSCH RF-7III speakers, a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer, a Klipsch SPL 150 subwoofer and two Klipsch RP-502S surround speakers. My next purchases will be a 7-channel power amplifier and a 55" OLED television.
Sony is being vague as to whether their next generation OLED T.V.'s will arrive in 2020 or even in 2021. It's a strange marketing strategy to introduce a new videogame console that outputs HDMI 2.1 , but have no television in their product line which has an HDMI 2.1 input. Granted, I'm not into videogaming (I have two older videogame consoles which are connected to my system, but which I haven't turned on for years), but if I ever decide to get back into videogames, it would be nice to have a television which has all the latest technology.
I'm aware that LG offers the only OLED televisions that have HDMI 2.1, and all the other features required by next generation videogame consoles. LG's latest OLED sets also have compatability(though it may be via firmware update) with the next generation of ATSC broadcasts (Over the air 4K broadcasts).
I know that Sony OLED sets have a fancy sound system which uses the OLED panel itself as a speaker, but I never use my television's built-in sound system, unless I'm trying to avoid waking up sleeping family members late at night or early in the morning. I have a powerful 5.1 audio system. (my museum grade system is 7.1)
Are Sony's next generation OLED sets worth waiting for when LG sets offer the next generation video technology now? I've never owned any LG products. Are they any good? What is their reliability? I know that LG is a long-established South Korean company. I'm also aware that no matter what brand of OLED set that you buy, the actual OLED panel comes from the same manufacturer. And LG has a lower price ($400 less than the equivalent Sony).
Any opinions from you videophiles? I'm 64 years old, and see my museum grade system as an endgame purchase to take me through my remaining years on this planet. By the end of the year, my state (Florida) will be one of only two states that doesn't have an internet tax(For purchases from out of state merchants that don't have a physical presence in my state). The soonest that my state's legislature can resume discussion.of an internet tax proposal at the committee level is in mid-March 2021. Obviously I'll have obtained a T.V. and power amplifier long before such a law could take effect.
Is the purchase of the LG OLED set a good idea?
I have always been a Sony TV fan. I recently purchased a65 inch XBR 900H. The TV is 2.1 compatible and the firmware upgrade to support the new PlayStation has released. The TV is 2.1 standard and I really enjoy this TV. 999.00 at the PX with no tax was a steal compared to the $3k UHD model (Bravia) I saw them as low as $1100 on various feeds (thanks web cookies). It seems built for the long haul until 8 k becomes a reality and is affordable. Good luck, hope you find the perfect one. Check out RTINGS.com they do a great job of helping you figure out what is your key criteria (movies, sports, gaming, etc)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung is not planning to go to OLED at all by some reports. They intend to use micro-LED for the next couple of years, but that's a stop-gap until it gets going with next gen QNED. The micro-LED is basically called out as a 'transitional period'. So, it's their top end LCD/micro-LED until they get the QD up and running.

Then you are using first generation QNED from them. So, if you can wait a couple of years, then great. But, it's not slated to be right around the corner.
Right now, I would pretty much get a LG X series. CX or their GX.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Samsung is not planning to go to OLED at all by some reports. They intend to use micro-LED for the next couple of years, but that's a stop-gap until it gets going with next gen QNED. The micro-LED is basically called out as a 'transitional period'. So, it's their top end LCD/micro-LED until they get the QD up and running.

Then you are using first generation QNED from them. So, if you can wait a couple of years, then great. But, it's not slated to be right around the corner.
Right now, I would pretty much get a LG X series. CX or their GX.
Micro led going to cost way more ?? Wonder if they can beat oled picture
I hear you need way more pixels ppi for them.
You think anyone is going to make qoled?

Do all 4k TVs look bad with cable programming???

Lg oled are cheaper then Sony
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Micro led going to cost way more ?? Wonder if they can beat oled picture
I hear you need way more pixels ppi for them.
You think anyone is going to make qoled?
Do all 4k TVs look bad with cable programming???

Lg oled are cheaper then Sony
Microled, from the one display Samsung makes is around $100,000 so, it's outrageous. It's also not likely to happen yet. They haven't actually developed production ready micro-LED.

Not sure on QOLED. Samsung, I believe, has this working. But, I don't think they actually want to produce it.

My cable TV programming looks solid, most of the time, on my 4K TVs. Maybe it's not your TV, maybe it is your cable provider.

LG makes all the current OLED panels I believe, for every manufacturer. So, when you are buying a Sony OLED, they have to buy it from LG first, then put their stuff in, then sell it again. It adds some cost. But, Sony's video processing is supposed to be very good, and potentially their build quality may be better.

Still, the CX from LG is very well regarded for overall image performance.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Microled, from the one display Samsung makes is around $100,000 so, it's outrageous. It's also not likely to happen yet. They haven't actually developed production ready micro-LED.

Not sure on QOLED. Samsung, I believe, has this working. But, I don't think they actually want to produce it.

My cable TV programming looks solid, most of the time, on my 4K TVs. Maybe it's not your TV, maybe it is your cable provider.

LG makes all the current OLED panels I believe, for every manufacturer. So, when you are buying a Sony OLED, they have to buy it from LG first, then put their stuff in, then sell it again. It adds some cost. But, Sony's video processing is supposed to be very good, and potentially their build quality may be better.

Still, the CX from LG is very well regarded for overall image performance.
So no new technology coming out in next 5 years??
What’s mini led ??

I expect 8k TVs to become cheaper but no content for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis