Is there a reason to wait for next-generation Sony OLED?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
2014 I’m sure they have improved since then. I got the XVT553SV used it’s from 2010. Great picture. I think fans should be added to TVs it’s so cheap to implement.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
2014 I’m sure they have improved since then. I got the XVT553SV used it’s from 2010. Great picture. I think fans should be added to TVs it’s so cheap to implement.
Ever since I got burned by Samsung never again. I know of 3 people that have had Samsung tvs and blu-ray player's all crapped out on them or had Compatibility issues with the tv.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
They were supposed to be quite reliable even in 2014. It was a well reviewed unit that left a very sour taste in my mouth.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Here's the thing guys about 4K tv's, they can and do cost a lot, the lower end models are cheap you still get a good unit. Paying 1k or more you'd expect it to at the very least to last 5 years or more. I was at Walmart yesterday I'm going to upgrade my 55" Vizio soon so I was in Walmart shopping for Groceries. I took a walk to their Electronics section they had a nice Display from Samsung, TCL, Vizio, Sony, LG, and Walmart's brand ONN. Now Walmart doesn't have the Top of the line unit's I get it their a Discount BB store, their return Policy is good 90 day's, looked at all of their 65", 75" they had one 82". The Samsung "Crystal" had the best Picture it was a 65" the colors where Amazing. Yep the units where all set to "Store" display, I'm Interested in Vizio's because of the high "Nit" rates, just so happens that Samsung 65" "Crystal" was next to a Vizio M unit a 55". Side by side the Samsung blew away the Vizio. The Sony wasn't on display just setting in the box. I have been reading a lot of reviews on all Manufacturers, Vizio's M model seems to have a not so great reviews as do their V Series. Their Vizio Smart cast seems to be buggy lag time, in so long. I can attest to that, Netflix will not work on my 55" Vizio it use to but won't now it works great on my cheap LG blu-ray player and my Sony 4K player without issues. I did call in to Vizio's service department three times and all three times they said it was a issue with my Internet provider. The last time out of the 3 calls I told the Vizio woman she was full of crap cause as she was doing her thing I was doing mine by switching between my Sony 4K and my LG blu-ray players cause they both have Netflix apps on them and both was able to watch Netflix. The Vizio woman still Insisted it was my Internet provider. Now that Vizio V55" will be a year old come this October 3rd. That's the only issue I have with it, it cost me $338.00 not much but to some people that's a lot of money. If anyone is Researching on buying a new 4K unit you'll see a Lot of Vizio's unit's are having Trouble with Vizio smartcast. Now Vizio's Smartcast
works great with all the other apps just not the Netflix app. Yep I called into Netflix also they said it was a tv issue, which I Agreed.
Sorry for the long postup on this. But from what I have read todate on 4K TV's Especially the upper tier models, Sony, LG, Samsung seem to be a lot better in Reliability. Vizio's aren't as great not their mid to lower end lines good but not great. All have Refurbished but Sony seems to be king.
But dam! they aren't cheap not their better units.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn’t use smartcast anyway. I have a fire stick 4K that I got cheap on flea bay. Actually the M series has great review on rting, but not smartcast is not loved, but heard recently it’s firmware update made it smoother. I’m not a fan of Roku either. Of course the Samsung has a great picture, but I bet the Vizio can match it when calibrated. LG, Sony, Vizio, TCL etc still provide great picture quality at budget depending on the series.
Edit look at the comparison:

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn’t use smartcast anyway. I have a fire stick 4K that I got cheap on flea bay. Actually the M series has great review on rting, but not smartcast is not loved, but heard recently it’s firmware update made it smoother. I’m not a fan of Roku either. Of course the Samsung has a great picture, but I bet the Vizio can match it when calibrated. LG, Sony, Vizio, TCL etc still provide great picture quality at budget depending on the series.
Edit look at the comparison:
Funny you mention that Fire Stick, my older brother has one he loves it he's been telling me to get one. That's all he has for streaming plus his internet. Oh and a over the air Antenna. He cut his cable 3 years ago. I agree the Vizio M 55", 65" have a very nice "Nit" rate 800, plus 90 Dimming zones and Full array back lit. $699.00 MQ65" at BestBuy. Vizio 4K PQ 65" going fir $1199.00. OLED 65" 2K. Sony's 700 to over 1k more Ouch!

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Funny you mention that Fire Stick, my older brother has one he loves it he's been telling me to get one. That's all he has for streaming plus his internet. Oh and a over the air Antenna. He cut his cable 3 years ago.
I forgot to mention Wally sells a bit lower tier Vizio quantum M series 6, while the one in the review is the M quantum 8 series, which is their better TV and highly recommended. Not sold at Wally. One review compared it to the Sony and picture quality was just as good. Search YouTube.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I forgot to mention Wally sells a bit lower tier Vizio quantum M series 6, while the one in the review is the M quantum 8 series, which is their better TV and highly recommended. Not sold at Wally. One review compared it to the Sony and picture quality was just as good. Search YouTube.
I was just going to say that, I edited my post
I need to get over to BestBuy and do a look see, don't know if the one in Lafayette is allowing customers in the store gonna give them a call today. Plus the reviews are 41/2 stars on BestBuys site for Vizio's M and P and QP models 5 stars on their OLEDs. Here's the thing about BestBuy, only 14 day return on any tv. Crutchfield has 60 day return on all TVs but with the way UPS and FedEx beats up things don't know if I want to take that chance.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I need to get over to BestBuy and do a look see, don't know if the one in Lafayette is allowing customers in the store gonna give them a call today. Plus the reviews are 41/2 stars on BestBuys site for Vizio's M and P and QP models 5 stars on their OLEDs. Here's the thing about BestBuy, only 14 day return on any tv. Crutchfield has 60 day return on all TVs but with the way UPS and FedEx beats up things don't know if I want to take that chance.
You should keep an eye if they get more. Best price I’ve seen:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have a question about OLED Panels, I read a article that All OLED panels are made by LG, and that all of the other Manufacturers get their OLED panels from LG any truth to that?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I’d use PayPal on a TV purchase online. I think it gives you more time. Anyway it’s always great to go and see in person. I almost bought the TCL 4 series, but decided to wait and see more in the same price range and the M series is hard to beat if on a budget.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a question about OLED Panels, I read a article that All OLED panels are made by LG, and that all of the other Manufacturers get their OLED panels from LG any truth to that?
Yes that’s true. Samsung decided to do qled to compete.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I’d use PayPal on a TV purchase online. I think it gives you more time. Anyway it’s always great to go and see in person. I almost bought the TCL 4 series, but decided to wait and see more in the same price range and the M series is hard to beat if on a budget.
That's the reason I am interested in Vizio's M and P and their PQ 2020 models you get a Lot. The Pro guys give Vizio's M65" a very high mark like You stated. They Raved about the blacks and the very high "Nit" rate, OLED's don't even come close to the "Nit" rate of Vizio's M and P/PQ models.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That's the reason I am interested in Vizio's M and P and their PQ 2020 models you get a Lot. The Pro guys give Vizio's M65" a very high mark like You stated. They Raved about the blacks and the very high "Nit" rate, OLED's don't even come close to the "Nit" rate of Vizio's M and P/PQ models.
While OLED's can't compete with the absolute brightness of a LCD set, they have much higher contrast.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is true currently. But they keep the best for themselves. They only sell last year's screens to the likes of Sony. Last year when I bought my LG 77" C class LG OLED, I compared it side by side with Sony. The LG was noticeably better. I was hoping that would not be the case, but it was. My son also opted for LG for the same reason.
LG are making sure that the competition are a year behind.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That is true currently. But they keep the best for themselves. They only sell last year's screens to the likes of Sony. Last year when I bought my LG 77" C class LG OLED, I compared it side by side with Sony. The LG was noticeably better. I was hoping that would not be the case, but it was. My son also opted for LG for the same reason.
LG are making sure that the competition are a year behind.
Uh-huh! Thanks Doc! I will Definitely be looking into LG more! The Pro review guys did say LG's top line was the Cream of the crop. Didn't know how to take that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
While OLED's can't compete with the absolute brightness of a LCD set, they have much higher contrast.
The picture is much more natural also, and like plasmas have a wide viewing angle. OLEDs are the only screens slightly better than 2K Panny plasmas. The current LED and QLED 4Ks are definitely inferior to the older 2K plasmas in my view. If you were used to plasma, and I'm still using two, then OLED is really your only option without having a downgrade, even if the LED is a 4K.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You gotta check this guys videos. He is a Vizio fan and has a bunch of videos. He is pretty much on point though. Some are so funny like this one:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You gotta check this guys videos. He is a Vizio fan and has a bunch of videos. He is pretty much on point though. Some are so funny like this one:

That Vizio 2019 M Series is very impressive it Definitely can hang with the big boys so to speak. Vizio's QP, funny how even Sony's Master Series came in 2nd, with the price tag even to keep up with Vizio's QP to boot huh. I like when he stated, go back to bed and take your blue pill. Totally agree sure is a lot of Kool-Aid out there.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Look at this comparison. The M series kills it on black level and color gamet is pretty much the same as the P series:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis