Is there a reason to wait for next-generation Sony OLED?

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
At some point in the next 8 months, I will purchase a 55" OLED television, to add to my collection of "Museum Grade" equipment; equipment that I will only use in the event that my present-day audio & video equipment breaks down and becomes un-repairable. So far. I've accumulated an Integra DRC R1.1 a/v processor, an Oppo UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray player (modified, region free), four KLIPSCH RF-7III speakers, a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer, a Klipsch SPL 150 subwoofer and two Klipsch RP-502S surround speakers. My next purchases will be a 7-channel power amplifier and a 55" OLED television.
Sony is being vague as to whether their next generation OLED T.V.'s will arrive in 2020 or even in 2021. It's a strange marketing strategy to introduce a new videogame console that outputs HDMI 2.1 , but have no television in their product line which has an HDMI 2.1 input. Granted, I'm not into videogaming (I have two older videogame consoles which are connected to my system, but which I haven't turned on for years), but if I ever decide to get back into videogames, it would be nice to have a television which has all the latest technology.
I'm aware that LG offers the only OLED televisions that have HDMI 2.1, and all the other features required by next generation videogame consoles. LG's latest OLED sets also have compatability(though it may be via firmware update) with the next generation of ATSC broadcasts (Over the air 4K broadcasts).
I know that Sony OLED sets have a fancy sound system which uses the OLED panel itself as a speaker, but I never use my television's built-in sound system, unless I'm trying to avoid waking up sleeping family members late at night or early in the morning. I have a powerful 5.1 audio system. (my museum grade system is 7.1)
Are Sony's next generation OLED sets worth waiting for when LG sets offer the next generation video technology now? I've never owned any LG products. Are they any good? What is their reliability? I know that LG is a long-established South Korean company. I'm also aware that no matter what brand of OLED set that you buy, the actual OLED panel comes from the same manufacturer. And LG has a lower price ($400 less than the equivalent Sony).
Any opinions from you videophiles? I'm 64 years old, and see my museum grade system as an endgame purchase to take me through my remaining years on this planet. By the end of the year, my state (Florida) will be one of only two states that doesn't have an internet tax(For purchases from out of state merchants that don't have a physical presence in my state). The soonest that my state's legislature can resume discussion.of an internet tax proposal at the committee level is in mid-March 2021. Obviously I'll have obtained a T.V. and power amplifier long before such a law could take effect.
Is the purchase of the LG OLED set a good idea?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Flagship OLED has a hdmi 2.1 port, just not activated. Once products roll out it can be updated via a software update.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I'm waiting for the new Samsung self-emissive QLED displays coming sometime next year.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a terrible experience with LG electronics product reliability, which includes 2 different mobile phones and a plasma TV.
Unfortunately, current-gen Sony Oled uses LG panels and their own electronics - which makes the solution very expensive. This is because of the simple reason that at least for now there's no one except LG making large OLED panels.
As for Samsung, their QLED isn't self-emissive, but they do have self-emissive MicroLED tech up their sleeves. The problem with the later one is truly museum-like in both price and quality. The other major issue is there some delays with the development of this system:

From what my own eyes show me is that Vizio's P65QX-H1 TV side by side with LG Oled shows very similar black levels and much better brightness.

Last edited:
P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
My question about the LG OLED set is (for now) a moot point: the model has sold out, and it will not be until mid-fall before LG will be again able to supply it to dealers. By then, other manufacturers may introduce sets with similar features.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My question about the LG OLED set is (for now) a moot point: the model has sold out, and it will not be until mid-fall before LG will be again able to supply it to dealers. By then, other manufacturers may introduce sets with similar features.
I think that this pandemic has disrupted trade and production especially in many ways. I think there will be big delays in new product, and a slowing of new product introduction.

I have a 77" LG OLED that I bought last October. So far so good. The ergonomics of the remote are awful, but the picture is very good. I don't take any chances with this sort of gear and it is supplied via a very good UPS, and there is whole house surge protection. I do personally believe that this highly complex electronics does require very robust protection to mitigate against early failure. I don't think many members here realize the importance of protection, which as complexity rises makes the need greater and greater every year. This is not nearly enough of the budget devoted to this in most systems. I bar surge protector is NOT protection, not by a long shot. That is the key to premature failure.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
True we have had our issues controlling Samsung TVs with home automation systems. But our clients really seem to like them, and I am very excited about the new technology. I'll reserve judgement until I see what they come up with.

What kind of problems have you had with Samsung?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
True we have had our issues controlling Samsung TVs with home automation systems. But our clients really seem to like them, and I am very excited about the new technology. I'll reserve judgement until I see what they come up with.

What kind of problems have you had with Samsung?
Take a look at this recent thread. We have had them before. I had friends with bad panels in Samsung plasma TVs, and I have had to replace power supply boards in Samsung TVs for friends. The latter they are known for.

I just can not recommend Samsung TVs.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got a couple of black lines out of nowhere on left side of the 51 inch Samsung Plasma one I had 4 years ago. Of course it happened 1yr and 1 month, so no warranty coverage. I bought a Samsung 43 plasma used about two years ago on CL and still working great thus far. I lean more towards LG, Vizio and Sony now.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Same here had a 51" Samsung Plasma black lines across the panel. Also a two Samsung blu-ray players crap out all just past warranty ran out. My son just sold off his 65" Samsung tv he had Compatibility issues. He went with Sony's top 4K 75" I have a Vizio V cheap 4K 55" good unit not great but good. I'm researching 4K 65" to buy and two are at the top of my list Sony's X and Vizio's P 2020 unit's. Vizio's "Nit" rate is the highest of the two but Sony's seem to be the most reliable of All 4K's cost more also. OLED Supposed to be king, but they don't come near to the "Nit" rate of Vizio's P Series 4K unit's. Plus OLED's don't Support 10+ or Dolby Vision at least the unit's I have been reading up on. I'm not Interested in "Nano" or "Crystal". Also won't be going with Sony's or Vizio's OLED, will be LCD/LED unit just can't see paying 1k or more just for OLED when don't gain much more unless someone can Explain why it's Worth paying 1K more for OLED.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It seems you're primary concern is next generation gaming capabilities. If gaming is your focus, why are you set on OLED? I wouldn't recommend OLED for HDR gaming, too risky. If dark room movie watching and picture quality is your main goal, a Sony OLED like the AG9 is unbeatable.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Same here had a 51" Samsung Plasma black lines across the panel. Also a two Samsung blu-ray players crap out all just past warranty ran out. My son just sold off his 65" Samsung tv he had Compatibility issues. He went with Sony's top 4K 75" I have a Vizio V cheap 4K 55" good unit not great but good. I'm researching 4K 65" to buy and two are at the top of my list Sony's X and Vizio's P 2020 unit's. Vizio's "Nit" rate is the highest of the two but Sony's seem to be the most reliable of All 4K's cost more also. OLED Supposed to be king, but they don't come near to the "Nit" rate of Vizio's P Series 4K unit's. Plus OLED's don't Support 10+ or Dolby Vision at least the unit's I have been reading up on. I'm not Interested in "Nano" or "Crystal". Also won't be going with Sony's or Vizio's OLED, will be LCD/LED unit just can't see paying 1k or more just for OLED when don't gain much more unless someone can Explain why it's Worth paying 1K more for OLED.
All OLED'S support Dolby Vision. HDR plus is dead.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I would not ever consider the purchase of a Samsung TV. They are trouble with a big T.
I lean more towards LG, Vizio and Sony now.
You couldn't pay me to try Vizio again. I've had my current Samsung for close to 6 years now and it has been flawless from the beginning. I ended up getting it after trying to get a Vizio. I had purchased their (Vizio's) mid line model and had issues straight out of the box with the local dimming where one area was always noticeably brighter than the others. Also, the remote would randomly stop responding, requiring me to unplug the set for 10 minutes at a time to let it reset and reestablish communication. Got a replacement because of those 2 issues, this one had a corner that was completely shattered, both interior and exterior packaging were 100% intact and showed no damage. Got another replacement and all seemed well until about 2 weeks later when I started having the same remote issue. That was it for me, returned the Vizio, said no more, and got my current Samsung and it has been a great performer ever since. My next TV will be an OLED for sure, I love those black levels and colors that they're capable of.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It seems you're primary concern is next generation gaming capabilities. If gaming is your focus, why are you set on OLED? I wouldn't recommend OLED for HDR gaming, too risky. If dark room movie watching and picture quality is your main goal, a Sony OLED like the AG9 is unbeatable.
That 4K "Sony is highly recommend. One review site went on to say it is the best they have seen to date.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You couldn't pay me to try Vizio again. I've had my current Samsung for close to 6 years now and it has been flawless from the beginning. I ended up getting it after trying to get a Vizio. I had purchased their mid line model and had issues straight out of the box with the local dimming where one area was always noticeably brighter than the others. Also, the remote would randomly stop responding, requiring me to unplug the set for 10 minutes at a time to let it reset and reestablish communication. Got a replacement because of those 2 issues, this one had a corner that was completely shattered, both interior and exterior packaging were 100% intact and showed no damage. Got another replacement and all seemed well until about 2 weeks later when I started having the same remote issue. That was it for me, returned it and got my current Samsung and it has been a great performer ever since. My next TV will be an OLED for sure, I love those black levels and colors that they're capable of.
Samsung should have stepped up and fixed it and didn’t. I think all these TVs need some kind of air flow inside the set itself. I know some high end models include it, but it’s so cheap to implement it in mid level to budget model. Yeah I know they want you to buy the next model. They all are prone due to heat problems that mess up the insides. That’s why I bought a fan recently. I did the same for my Onkyo as well and never an hdmi issue. All my AVRs have them with a cheap laptop fan.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Samsung should have stepped up and fixed it and didn’t. I think all these TVs need some kind of air flow inside the set itself. I know some high end models include it, but it’s so cheap to implement it in mid level to budget model. Yeah I know they want you to buy the next model. They all are prone due to heat problems that mess up the insides. That’s why I bought a fan recently. I did the same for my Onkyo as well and never an hdmi issue. All my AVRs have them with a cheap laptop fan.
Samsung had nothing to fix. All my issues were with the Vizio I tried before getting my Samsung. I edited my original post in case that wasn't clear.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Samsung had nothing to fix. All my issues were with the Vizio I tried before getting my Samsung. I edited my original post in case that wasn't clear.
I meant my Samsung which got lines. Which Vizio model did you get?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis