Is the repair turnaround time on my amp too good to be true?

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
I was involved in a contentious thread several weeks back that was the result of my Emotiva XPA 7 going up in smoke. In all actuality, it was making loud popping noises, smoke was coming from the top, and there was a tremendous burning smell that filled essentially my entire apartment.

Emotiva received my amp for repair last Thursday - March 24th. On Tuesday or Wednesday this week - I can't remember and I don't have access to my gmail account while at work to confirm - I received an email from Emotiva stating that the amp had been fixed and that it was being shipped back to me.

I sent a follow up email and the tech said the channel 1 amp was faulty. He repaired it and tested the amp.

I am not displeased with the quickness of the turnaround but I don't want it to be at the expense of quality assurance. After all, when I purchased the amp in December 2015 - I'm sure it was looked over and passed it tests but 3 months later it's smoking, burning, popping and putting the rest of my system at risk.

I guess part of my concern is that Emotiva says that it usually takes 10 - 15 days for repairs and this was only a matter of 2 or 3 days. Should I be concerned? This thing is heavy, a pain in the neck to lift, and I am cautious about putting it back into my system because that whole event was traumatic - I didn't know what the heck was going on and if any of my other equipment was being damaged.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I had a problem with my XPA-3, they shipped me a new one and said to ship mine back once the new one arrived. Mine didn't actually have an operational problem, just a loose connector, and they replaced the whole unit.

No, I wouldn't worry about the time it took, I'd be pleased. What it means was the problem was something they found and were able to repair quickly. "Smoke" usually indicates a component failure on one of the boards IMO, so it was likely as simple as replacing that board and back in business once they've verified everything was working properly.

I had my sub amp smoke too - I popped it open and you could see the burnt capacitor. They just sent me a replacement amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps it was Dan Laufman's involvement that put your unit at the head of the line?

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
Perhaps and I don't want to give the impression that I'm not appreciative or impressed in the turnaround time. If the due process was sound - I've never received such a quick turnaround before and that should be recognized. Again, I just wanted to get some opinions on whether a couple of days is reasonable for a complete examination, repair, and test.

I tear my lower back up each time I move this thing because it's so heavy and like I said - I am nervous about putting this piece of equipment back into my system.

This is just an inquiry - not an accusation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could ask them how long and at what power level they ran the amp for a test I suppose....but otherwise would think they had sufficient time. If I send my old Carvers for this upgrade, he does a 96 hour burn-in test at 1/3 power and have always thought this was above and beyond what most would do....but have no idea what is "normal" for an amp repair generally.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps and I don't want to give the impression that I'm not appreciative or impressed in the turnaround time. If the due process was sound - I've never received such a quick turnaround before and that should be recognized. Again, I just wanted to get some opinions on whether a couple of days is reasonable for a complete examination, repair, and test.

I tear my lower back up each time I move this thing because it's so heavy and like I said - I am nervous about putting this piece of equipment back into my system.

Aren't you the guy who joined and started out smearing Emotiva?

Didn't the bigwigs at Emotiva respond to you, both personally and in this forum?

You don't think they are responsive to customer complaints and maybe, just maybe, they gave you preferential treatment?

What more do you want? Now, if it doesn't work, then you have a beyotch. Until then, it seems that nothing could do will ever please you.

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
No, I didn't join to smear Emotiva. I had previously joined and after my amp went up in smoke and after a less than ideal customer service conversation I did a post. Obviously you can't understand English. I am just asking a question but I appreciate you taking time out of your Friday to post your worthless comment.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I did understand your post. you're still not satisfied and most likely never will be.

You should have simply said "Wow! That was quick. They did me a solid".

Now, if it didn't work, then you would have a gripe.

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for playing...pick up your prize at the door...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
They just give you that time to make sure they can meet their promise in case they get slammed. I'm sure if you saw the repair you'd be amazed at how fast the person doing it worked.

Sounds like your amp got killed by a surge.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

This is the sort of response you get when people do not school themselves in at least elementary electronics and science.

The fact is if it works it works. You can't find a fault on a unit that works.

Emotiva do not make the electronic components. These are all made by component manufacturers, almost all in the Far East now.

Your unit has thousands of individual components. Any one of them could fail at any minute. The same goes for the rest of us. Just deal with that reality.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I guess part of my concern is that Emotiva says that it usually takes 10 - 15 days for repairs and this was only a matter of 2 or 3 days. Should I be concerned?
You obviously don’t understand the unpredictable nature of the repair business. They only say “10-15 days” to cover themselves in case they get swamped, not because it takes a long time to fix everything. At any given time all the technicians might be working overtime to meet the demand, or they might all be sitting on their hands waiting for the UPS truck to arrive. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything if yours got done in less than the maximum-quoted time.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for playing...pick up your prize at the door...
Here's YOUR prize.

I found this thread you started on Dec 12th, three months before you tried to publicly crucify Emotiva on March 15th.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/i-should-have-never-even-started-last-night-did-i-damage-my-system.97094/#post-1108280

so, Dan, you don't think this might have had a hand in your amps demise?

for those late to the party, here' dan's rant on Dec 15th

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dont-buy-emotiva-their-products-and-customer-service-are-crap.98162/

I do like that Dan, ever the gentleman, interceded in your vile rant to set the record straight and, frankly, his story seems more likely than yours.

Sorry, but you're damaged goods here.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Here's YOUR prize.

I found this thread you started on Dec 12th, three days before you tried to publicly crucify Emotiva on the 15th.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/i-should-have-never-even-started-last-night-did-i-damage-my-system.97094/#post-1108280

so, Dan, you don't think this might have had a hand in your amps demise?

for those late to the party, here' dan's rant on Dec 15th

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dont-buy-emotiva-their-products-and-customer-service-are-crap.98162/

I do like that Dan, ever the gentleman, interceded in your vile rant to set the record straight and, frankly, his story seems more likely than yours.

Sorry, but you're damaged goods here.
Well spotted!

He had two channels of his amp connected at the speakers. That is the worst thing you can do an amp!. That IS what caused the problem. He voided his warranty and owes Emotiva for the repair.

He needs to make a massive bow and scrape apology to Dan and Emotiva.

highfigh

highfigh

No, I didn't join to smear Emotiva. I had previously joined and after my amp went up in smoke and after a less than ideal customer service conversation I did a post. Obviously you can't understand English. I am just asking a question but I appreciate you taking time out of your Friday to post your worthless comment.
And that's a great way to make sure people don't bother to respond to your questions and problems.

From the info about how you connected both channels together, you don't understand what 'RTFM' means.

As far as the time involved in repairing an amplifier, it's mainly modular so the output section, which is where the problem was caused, is a fairly quick part to replace. Taking the time to do component-level repairs is no longer a viable method of servicing most electronics, so modules are a good way to build. It's how the computer and aerospace industry have done it for decades and an amplifier is hardly as specialized or critical.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for this info, if I ever buy an amp it won't be from Emotiva. :eek:

I stand corrected, I flew off the handle. Did not intend to disparage Emotiva or it's management.

Last edited:
D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for this info, if I ever buy an amp it won't be from Emotiva. :eek:
I take it you didn't take the time to read the entire thread. You should go back and read all the posts then see if you feel like amending your post.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I stand corrected, I flew off the handle. Did not intend to disparage Emotiva or it's management.
I wondered about your comment. Didn't know if you were a shill for the OP, or just didn't really read/understand the thread. But being the magnanimous kind of guy I am, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

And for the benefit of Alex:
Magnanimous: Highly moral, especially in showing kindness or forgiveness, as in overlooking insults or not seeking revenge.

highfigh

highfigh

I wondered about your comment. Didn't know if you were a shill for the OP, or just didn't really read/understand the thread. But being the magnanimous kind of guy I am, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

And for the benefit of Alex:
Magnanimous: Highly moral, especially in showing kindness or forgiveness, as in overlooking insults or not seeking revenge.
Isn't that something others should say about you? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis