Is the RBH Sound SVTRS Audioholics New Reference Speaker?

M

MinMan

Audiophyte
Only 7foot 8? LOL :)
Agreed - not sure how vertical dispersion of the Mundorf ribbon tweeters coordinates with the extended vertical layout of the cone mid-woofers. For this price...seriously?

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
A few thoughts:
  • Due to the way our ears and brains work, having the center speaker a bit below the mains is inaudible. Having the L/R mains at the screens vertical center, though, is rather important.
  • Given that the subs crossover at 100Hz, there is no advantage to the speakers stacked in a giant D'Appolito array. There is no lobing or phase cancelation to be had with frequencies that low given the distance between the subs. You'd quite possibly get better performance by placing the top subs elsewhere in the room so they would smooth out room nodes.
  • You are incorrect when you state that active speakers are the future. They have been the present. Hell, I had Paradigm LCR-450 actives and Servo 15 subs over 20 years ago. In my bedroom, I have KEF LSX's that drive some inexpensive Boston Acoustics subs. In my kitchen, I have a cheap Polk soundbar that has a sub. My home theater is 3-way and bi-amped. Hey, if convenience and simplicity are your thing, passive speakers are for you. If the best fidelity is what you are looking for active is the only way to go. There is a reason that any recording studio worth a damn uses active speakers. They are better.
  • The only people that don't like active speakers are audiophiles that are morons. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Love it or shove it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is a speaker and sub for everyone, active or passive, internally-powered or externally-powered.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A few thoughts:
  • The only people that don't like active speakers are audiophiles that are morons. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Love it or shove it.
That is the perfect way to discredit everything else you just said, right or wrong.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
In the review Gene says his new house is 32,000+ square feet. I hope this is a typo, otherwise his house is about 21 times the size of mine.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
I'm guessing he meant 3200.
I agree. But his new mains are 30 times the cost of mine that have Raal ribbons tweeters. I guess if I throw in my subwoofers, they are only 10 times the cost. But still if his speakers are an order of magnitude more expensive, it is possible that his house is an order of magnitude larger than mine. He is an Audioholic though, so maybe it is just his gear that is significantly more expensive than even the average enthusiast.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I agree. But his new mains are 30 times the cost of mine that have Raal ribbons tweeters. I guess if I throw in my subwoofers, they are only 10 times the cost. But still if his speakers are an order of magnitude more expensive, it is possible that his house is an order of magnitude larger than mine. He is an Audioholic though, so maybe it is just his gear that is significantly more expensive than even the average enthusiast.
I'm kind of confused at what you're trying to say? New house, new speakers. Simple as that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget... it's his JOB, too. ;)

I wonder if professional Audio writers can write-off Audio gear as an R&D expense?
:p

I know I can for Cookbooks, knives, pot & pans, and other expensive kitchen gadgets.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Don't forget... it's his JOB, too. ;)

I wonder if professional Audio writers can write-off Audio gear as an R&D expense?
:p

I know I can for Cookbooks, knives, pot & pans, and other expensive kitchen gadgets.
Hahaha right! I mean, Gene is bro hams with RBH so I'm guessing got a great deal on those speakers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They'd fit beautifully in my room. Also, I did contact a dealer and it's possible to get some big discounts on these speakers. Well, the passive versions that is. I'm 1/6 of the way there right now... :p

@gene where does this system stand compared to your Status Acoustics setup?
The Status 8T are a very special speaker. There are things I liked about that system that the SVTRS just doesn't quite recreate. The damped bass was just incredible for vinyl. The ease of setup couldn't be beat. They required virtually NO EQ and just sounded good all the time. SVTRS is a different animal. It plays louder, digs deeper, has more dynamics, and can be custom tuned to exactly how you like it. I miss my old 8Ts. I think RBH still has them at their place. But, I absolutely love the new SVTRS system. It's the current speaker to beat from everything I've ever heard.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In the review Gene says his new house is 32,000+ square feet. I hope this is a typo, otherwise his house is about 21 times the size of mine.
That passage you mention is NOT my home. I gave a demo to a client that is building a 32,000 Ft^2 home in Tampa and they were so impressed that they ordered a full in-wall version. Another upscale client recently came to my new home to hear this speaker system and they are building an 85,000 ft^2 home. If they go with a version of this system, I'm going to try to record the install on our Youtube channel with their permission. Very cool that RBH is getting this well deserved attention.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That passage you mention is NOT my home. I gave a demo to a client that is building a 32,000 Ft^2 home in Tampa and they were so impressed that they ordered a full in-wall version. Another upscale client recently came to my new home to hear this speaker system and they are building an 85,000 ft^2 home. If they go with a version of this system, I'm going to try to record the install on our Youtube channel with their permission. Very cool that RBH is getting this well deserved attention.
That's awesome Gene I love my RBH system hands down no contest the best setup I've ever owned period.

But I also enjoyed the customer support and getting to know Shane Duane and everyone else at RBH even more. Like you I am very happy that RBH is getting the recognition they deserve.

Anytime I entertain the theater room always comes up and getting to advertise RBH to my friends and company is a cool part of the conversation. I already have some friends interested and I'm very happy to be able to spread the love for RBH on that level

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
His mains are about to be even more expensive in about 30 days since RBH is increasing the prices for the SV831R and SV1212R components of the SVTRS system.

Peace653

Peace653

Audiophyte
$50,000 is way out of my budget, but boy would I like a pair. I've never been let down by RBH and any of their products.

If you have the money you should purchase a pair. They are the most efficient and pristine sound that I've ever read about. Unfortunately, I don't have a place to correctly set them up. These have to be the last speakers that you will ever need to purchase. Just another well thought out design and sound by RBH. I'm enviest to those who can afford. If money is no object, get these and in return you will have the best set of speakers across the board. I only wish that I could hear them in person. RBH has done it once again. Outstanding specifications that I'm sure will not disappoint, even the hardcore audiophiles will have their eyes jump out of their heads. To all the audiophiles that can afford these. Lucky you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis