Is the RBH Sound SVTRS Audioholics New Reference Speaker?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well.
Now I've had a chance to catch up, nice review, @gene !

I agree that these are exciting speakers. They are also clearly a luxury class item. I have no problem with this.
(As a professional Private Chef selling a premier service, I don't come cheap, either! ;) )
Let's face it, if you can fit an 8' tall Stack'O'Sound in your room without a shoehorn, you probably don't live in a 'normal' house either. And much the way a household fits a Chef into their lifestyle, this clearly warrants a similar consideration.

To me, the most exciting aspect is seeing the Active system come to life. I've seen people complain about the concept of Active Speakers, and this even comes from the mouth of guys like Jim Salk (he wasn't complaining, but mentioning that he tries to avoid doing them because they don't sell).
Regardless, it would be nice to see Active designs find a way into the mainer-stream than they are. I think a process of demystification needs to happen, though, to see this occur. (Or at least to help the process begin, that is.)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Well.
Now I've had a chance to catch up, nice review, @gene !

I agree that these are exciting speakers. They are also clearly a luxury class item. I have no problem with this.
(As a professional Private Chef selling a premier service, I don't come cheap, either! ;) )
Let's face it, if you can fit an 8' tall Stack'O'Sound in your room without a shoehorn, you probably don't live in a 'normal' house either. And much the way a household fits a Chef into their lifestyle, this clearly warrants a similar consideration.

To me, the most exciting aspect is seeing the Active system come to life. I've seen people complain about the concept of Active Speakers, and this even comes from the mouth of guys like Jim Salk (he wasn't complaining, but mentioning that he tries to avoid doing them because they don't sell).
Regardless, it would be nice to see Active designs find a way into the mainer-stream than they are. I think a process of demystification needs to happen, though, to see this occur. (Or at least to help the process begin, that is.)
What is the smallest room you could conceivably put those speakers in and enjoy the sound?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is the smallest room you could conceivably put those speakers in and enjoy the sound?
I think you may get different answers from different people, with a question like that. ;) For me, I'd say you want a room roughly 15 -17'w, 21-23'l, with 11-14' ceilings.
Could you put them in a smaller room? Certainly.

It would be interesting to know what RBH would say to that question! :D

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Nah... He just got a credit card increase! :D :D :p
I’ll make everyone a deal, if everyone on this forum wants to help fund this experiment I’ll volunteer my place for testing, reluctantly of course.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll make everyone a deal, if everyone on this forum wants to help fund this experiment I’ll volunteer my place for testing, reluctantly of course.
Ha!
HaHa!
Haahaa-hahahaaaaa-ha-ha!
HaHa-Haahaa-hahahaaaaa-ha-ha-Ha!
What is the context of the laughing gifs? - Page 1 - AR15.COM

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is a great review Gene although I have the passive version of this gear those SV 831r are the best speaker I've ever had in my room and I'm never giving them up

I also totally can agree with your listening impressions those tweeters are something special and the dynamics and clarity and detail are just unmatched. Never have I experienced reference level like this with zero distortion. It's really something you can't describe its hard to put it into words

Thanks again for the great review and also thanks for putting a shout out to those Sv661wr those on wall speakers are just amazing such a small footprint and they look so classy but man they can sure perform!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They'd fit beautifully in my room. Also, I did contact a dealer and it's possible to get some big discounts on these speakers. Well, the passive versions that is. I'm 1/6 of the way there right now... :p

@gene where does this system stand compared to your Status Acoustics setup?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They'd fit beautifully in my room. Also, I did contact a dealer and it's possible to get some big discounts on these speakers. Well, the passive versions that is. I'm 1/6 of the way there right now... :p

@gene where does this system stand compared to your Status Acoustics setup?
Go for it bro!!!!

Just do it!!!!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I will take 3-pairs, please. Front, sides and rears. I think that will be good?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@gene I'm glad they put the magnets in the grill for you as that would always be my preference, but did they go as far as ascend did for @Pogre ? I mean, this label speaks volumes...

IMG_9360.jpg

I kid, but it's the first thing I thought of when Gene talked about the grills. Pretty cool that these manufacturers actually listen to their customers on things like this. Sure, this is an expensive system and it literally comes with a speaker designer/calibrator so I guess it wouldn't be that out of the norm, but still. Excellent customer service is excellent customer service.

Makes me want to buy RBH more than I already do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis