Is the Emotiva UPA-7 a good amp to purchase?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would get the receiver if it is in your budget. Otherwise you will be waiting for next September to get the same deal.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
poop man. Since theyre there id be using em. If they sound to bright find another speaker that fits the hole. But atmos is just ocasional sound effects so its not they are on all the time. You could always try them and move surrounds later if needed.
Yeah from what I'm understanding from William's pic and my measurements the front heights should be moved 3 feet towards the couch. The back heights 1 foot or keep where they are at. What I will probably do since I bought the C34E's from RSL and they fit that hole is put them in there. Try it out and see how it sounds if it works great. If not move them down the road and sheetrock the old holes. Like you said my friend can't hurt to try it out right?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would get the receiver if it is in your budget. Otherwise you will be waiting for next September to get the same deal.
That's what I think I will do. Because the Onkyo already has issues and I don't know if I want to risk waiting that long and have it crap out before I can get another great deal like that plus I have some gear I need to sell off and that will pretty much pay for it

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've never setup a system with Atmos, but will Audyssey make an effort to EQ the Atmos speakers?
If so, that might be worth something to tame the brightness of the current ceiling speakers and allow you to try out the positioning and see how it sounds.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've never setup a system with Atmos, but will Audyssey make an effort to EQ the Atmos speakers?
If so, that might be worth something to tame the brightness of the current ceiling speakers and allow you to try out the positioning and see how it sounds.
Ed from SVS said it would but it seems kind off pointless since the other issues such as my surrounds being too high will just contradict or confuse what benefits or problems I'd be getting from Audyssey doing that. Until those other issues are addressed I wouldn't be able to tell. I'm curious why would you never go Atmos if you don't mind me asking?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ed from SVS said it would but it seems kind off pointless since the other issues such as my surrounds being too high will just contradict or confuse what benefits or problems I'd be getting from Audyssey doing that. Until those other issues are addressed I wouldn't be able to tell. I'm curious why would you never go Atmos if you don't mind me asking?
My interest runs at least 95% music and less than 5% HT. What HT I do is really more "talking heads" (newscasters and comedy/sitcoms) that doesn't really utilize audio. Also, until this year, I did not have an AVR that could do atmos. I am debating moving into something more practical (4BR 3.5BA just me with occasional visits from daughter at college),and vaulted ceiling at 40 degrees from horizontal on left side and balcony on right side.
So between my lack of real use as HT and multiple inconveniences, I am too lazy to get serious about it!
Also, I have yet to experience an Atmos setup, which would need to impress me (although everything I have heard about it has been very positive)!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My interest runs at least 95% music and less than 5% HT. What HT I do is really more "talking heads" (newscasters and comedy/sitcoms) that doesn't really utilize audio. Also, until this year, I did not have an AVR that could do atmos. I am debating moving into something more practical (4BR 3.5BA just me with occasional visits from daughter at college),and vaulted ceiling at 40 degrees from horizontal on left side and balcony on right side.
So between my lack of real use as HT and multiple inconveniences, I am too lazy to get serious about it!
Also, I have yet to experience an Atmos setup, which would need to impress me (although everything I have heard about it has been very positive)!
I have to say HT is a slightly different animal than music. I have both addictions. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I can relate to having nightmares with room situations. This has been a very very difficult room to deal with its got some cool things going for it but a lot of challenges too

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I just wanted to give a great big thank you to PENG snakeyeeyes William drunkpenguin and so many more on helping me with my atmos questions. And purchasing the Denon. I'm stuck at the house waiting on FedEx so Bjorn's is holding it for me until tommorow. I spoke to Howard at RSL and he gave me a lot of good help I LOVE those guys and even know thanks to his input although the ceiling speakers placement isn't perfect it's workable. And I figured out a solution for my surrounds so its all going up there and going to get setup this weekend after work. Thanks again everyone appreciate the help

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just wanted to give a great big thank you to PENG snakeyeeyes William drunkpenguin and so many more on helping me with my atmos questions. And purchasing the Denon. I'm stuck at the house waiting on FedEx so Bjorn's is holding it for me until tommorow. I spoke to Howard at RSL and he gave me a lot of good help I LOVE those guys and even know thanks to his input although the ceiling speakers placement isn't perfect it's workable. And I figured out a solution for my surrounds so its all going up there and going to get setup this weekend after work. Thanks again everyone appreciate the help
You are going to like that Denon, but remember to set Eco mode to "ON" otherwise it can run quite warm. It won't affect performance if the UPA-7 is powering all the channels. If not. then you have to set it to "auto" and in that case I highly recommend one or two ACInfinity fans. The temperature set point for the internal fans are so high, that I have ever heard them on. I think D&M put them there to protect their 2/3 years warranty, not for longevity.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You are going to like that Denon, but remember to set Eco mode to "ON" otherwise it can run quite warm. It won't affect performance if the UPA-7 is powering all the channels. If not. then you have to set it to "auto" and in that case I highly recommend one or two ACInfinity fans. The temperature set point for the internal fans are so high, that I have ever heard them on. I think D&M put them there to protect their 2/3 years warranty, not for longevity.
I had a Denon reciever for a long time and really enjoyed the sound wheres a good place to get those fans? the rack it's going in has fans but the UPA-7 is benefiting from them mostly because it's right underneath them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I had a Denon reciever for a long time and really enjoyed the sound wheres a good place to get those fans? the rack it's going in has fans but the UPA-7 is benefiting from them mostly because it's right underneath them
Ok stupid me I found them on Amazon although which model of the fans do you recommend? There's several options

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The C34E's they're heeeerrrree View attachment 26124
To anyone that owns these am I missing something here? I unboxed them and have 4 speakers and grills with 2 templates. And I have the clamps that grab onto your ceiling. But I appear to be missing screws unless they are the ones on the sides of the speakers. And I couldn't find any user manual or instructions to install. Here's a pic of what I got I emailed RSL so if I'm missing something I'm sure they'll sort it out
20181009_180158.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know specifically about the AC Infinity fans, but as a rule, a larger fan is quieter than a smaller, so go with the 120mm fans!
Have the price, I would go ahead and get a pair. There is enough cord between them that you can put a fan on two side-by-side units or one on top of another if you have your gear stacked with spacers to allow a fan to fit in between the units.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know specifically about the AC Infinity fans, but as a rule, a larger fan is quieter than a smaller, so go with the 120mm fans!
Have the price, I would go ahead and get a pair. There is enough cord between them that you can put a fan on two side-by-side units or one on top of another if you have your gear stacked with spacers to allow a fan to fit in between the units.
Ya I heard those Denon run hot to the touch. Fans are necessary for them

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
To anyone that owns these am I missing something here? I unboxed them and have 4 speakers and grills with 2 templates. And I have the clamps that grab onto your ceiling. But I appear to be missing screws unless they are the ones on the sides of the speakers. And I couldn't find any user manual or instructions to install. Here's a pic of what I got I emailed RSL so if I'm missing something I'm sure they'll sort it outView attachment 26125
I’ll learn from you and WILLIAM L. :) I believe he said his 4 are installed but he is looking for an Atmos AVR to complete the install.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis