Is SVS all hype...or should I buy one??

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Tazmoj said:
I just pulled the trigger on a PB12-Plus/2 last night.... if it is any help, I've been checking out several forums, and there are TRUE believers in this product!

From an informative standoint, Ron and Erik have been great to work with and seem to always be working ( answered questions at all hours and even on the weekends).

Question though: How do they ship these beasts?? and how long do they take to be delivered ( I live in Florida )?

Thanks!
Congratulations Tazmoj,

It's an awesome sub. It took about a week for my sub to ship to Florida. PM me where in Florida?

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I own a Velodyne SPL-1200II, two SVS 16-46PC+ subs, helped install a Hsu STF-2, and also have two DIY subs. If you want the most bang for your buck without building your own, get the SVS. There's no doubt in my mind. The Hsu subs (Hsu also designed the Outlaw LFM subs) are also good values, but there are more options and better looks from SVS.

Keep in mind that the roll off is different between sealed and ported subs. And most of the SVS subs are ported. Within the same volume enclosure, a ported sub will reach lower than the sealed subwoofer unless the sub's amp comes with a boost. The trade off tends to be less volume in the upper frequencies. But where as a sealed subwoofer will have some output below its F3 point, a ported subwoofer won't.

Example: 16-46PC+ tuned at 12Hz has SPL at 10Hz but absolutely nothing below that. SPL-1200II has an F3 of 22Hz (IIRC) but has some output below there which room gain can help with, if your room suits.

The reason some people say sealed subs are more "musical" is because group delay increases as you approach a port tune faster than it does in a sealed sub. But that's not a universal truth and sometimes the ported design will have lower group delay than the sealed design.

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
Thx for the advice...purchased the Velodyne SPL 800R

I'll pick the sub up next week.

I received a great price from Audio Ovation in Aurora. Nice guys.

I was going to go with the SVS SB-12 but the smaller form factor of the Velodyne will allow me to tuck the sub away under a table (SVS wont fit). WAF

I also like the idea of the remote and the presets.
I'm hoping this will allow me to fine tune the sub while listening from my favorite chair.
Odds are I'll be altering the settings when listening to different types of music and movies more often giving me a more fine tuned sound.

Thx for all the inputs

Andreas

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Andreas said:
I'll pick the sub up next week.

I received a great price from Audio Ovation in Aurora. Nice guys.

I was going to go with the SVS SB-12 but the smaller form factor of the Velodyne will allow me to tuck the sub away under a table (SVS wont fit). WAF

I also like the idea of the remote and the presets.
I'm hoping this will allow me to fine tune the sub while listening from my favorite chair.
Odds are I'll be altering the settings when listening to different types of music and movies more often giving me a more fine tuned sound.

Thx for all the inputs

Andreas
Congrats! It's a nice little sub, and the Auto EQ will really be handy for dialing it in.

Post pics once it arrives!

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis