Is SVS all hype...or should I buy one??

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking for a sub to match my Paradigm Studio 20's and my 4 walled 16'L x 13'W x 9'H room.

Conditions
Budget $800 to $1100
1 cubic foot volume (14"^3 Max)
Needs to sound great with movies mostly and music too.

Contenders
Paradigm UltraCube 10
Paradigm Seismic 10
Def Tech SuperCube 2
Velodyne SPL-800R
SVS SB12-Plus

I'm not going to audition these subs.

Whats the point?

I don't own a sub so referencing to something that don't have is pointless.
I'm sure that the subs will not be at the same locations to compare to anyways.

I'm hoping with good input from this forum I can purchase a quality sub and grow into it.

My reservations about SVS is their price point and how can they compete with the heavyweights like Def Tech and especially Paradigm.

Paradigm for example spends a lot in R&D compared with most other manufacturers. Likewise with Velodyne and Def Tech.

Is SVS the Audioholics darling of the moment or are they a true contender.

I read the review on this site and for me it doesn't cut it.

Mentioned is the "SVS sound". What does that mean?..I want neutral..Is the reviewer saying the SVS sub has a unique sound?
Distinguishable brand sound means coloured to me.

I would like to know how the SVS SB12-Plus compares to the above mentioned subs. Does it perform as well?

Being a little less expensive and now having a Canadian distributer that is local, I'll pick one up next week if the feedback here is positive.

Then maybe I'll become a SVS zealot praising the SVS sound :)

Regards

Andreas

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I'll do this the way you want it.

Paradigm UltraCube 10: SVS beats it.
Paradigm Seismic 10: SVS is most likely better for the $.
Def Tech SuperCube 2: I wouldn't touch this.
Velodyne SPL-800R: SVS beats it.

The idea behind auditioning subs is to hear the difference between them, as well as what you don't have.

I mean, you seem set in your ways about other manufactures, but aren't giving SVS a chance. Why all the love for Paradigm and Deftech but not SVS? Can you give some proof of all the R&D behind those brands that SVS doesn't have? SVS doesn't spend money on useless features, and being ID makes the sale price much smaller. It's not from cutting corners.

SVS subs are bang for the buck. You don't need fancy cabinets or jargon for things that happened in the lab that happen in every lab. If Paradigm says it has a highly efficient digital hybrid amplifier, and SVS says Class D amplifier, What would you choose? It's the same thing.

You shouldn't take reviews to heart. They're a good guide (actually, that depends on the reviewer and organization they work for) but what you hear and what you want are the most important.

I think the SVS sound is flat, loud, and low, not anything bad in my books.

Good luck with your sub-hunt,

SheepStar

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Yeah beats it for movies for sure.....but I wouldnt say so for music. I havent been that impressed with svs musically. But then again it seems movies is what he wants.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
SVS subs just plain have balls. Not only do they enhance HT with visceral performance, they are musically transparent as well. I've heard the Hsu VTF3.2 and had a Velo DD15 in my house for a month, listened to a ML Grotto and Depth. I'm not saying the SVS is better than any of these subs for musical content, but I will say that with calibration, placement and crossover adjustment you can get close to replicating their signatures. None of them can duplicate the sheer power at extended frequencies that SVS delivers. I'm not trying to pimp SVS. I want another Velo DD15 in here eventually. People that haven't experienced SVS performance shouldn't denigrate their subs as hype. They make an excellent product that most competitors can't match and some get close to (and vice versa).

F

flyfish23

Audioholic Intern
You should look into M&K. Great for both music and HT. About the best sub in the market.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
Of the choices you mentioned, the SVS would be the best of the group with the Seismic 10 being the only one with similar (or possibly even better) performance. but as Sheep pointed out, the SB-12 Plus would be a much better value.

The Ultra Cube is a terrible subwoofer in my opinion. I really wish Paradigm wouldnt have produced it, especially when they have a very good sub in the PW-2100 in the same price range.

The SPL800R is very musical, and has quite of few nifty techincal features that you may use (such as a remote control), but ultimately cannot match the SVS or Seismic in terms of pure output. Good sub though.

Def Tech SC2....some like the way they sound, I personally do not. Pretty boomy sub. Not the best extension (although they claim incredible performance numbers). Better than the Ultra Cube but outclassed by the others in my opinion.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
My two cents. I own three subs, two of which are from Internet direct companies.

Paradigm PDR 8 - Worst sub I have ever heard, but I did not know any better at the time. It's gathering dust in the closet.

Hsu VTF-2 - I have owned it for 6 years and could not be more pleased. This was a replacement for the PDR-8.

Rocket UFW-10 A great sub with a sealed designed, does not quite keep up with the VTF-2 on low extension, but a "wow" factor music. The exterior is the equal of the high end fruniture. Another "wow" factor.

If I was in the market for a small 12 inch sub, the SVS SB12 would be at or near the list of candidates.

Nick

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
You might also consider the Outlaw LFM-1. For ~$650 you get an elegant sub that has awesome power. Controlled, is how I would best describe this beast. I think this is a great sub for movies, but I feel that for music, there might be slightly better subs. Tight and controlled is what best describes this sub.

S

sahihai

Junior Audioholic
yeSVS!

Cant say about the others since I havent heard them. Except, a few models of Velo in the famous retail store and I could easily ignore them. I have SVS PB12 and it rocks my house, my guests and me. Then they go and tell their friends, who, the next time if I happen to meet, immediately recognize me as the "crazy, big, monster sub" guy.
This is the after effect and was not the reason I bought it. It really is the deep, loud, lead-heavy sound that keeps me in love with it. For the $$ value, this is a class apart product.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Andreas said:
Conditions
Budget $800 to $1100
1 cubic foot volume (14"^3 Max)
Needs to sound great with movies mostly and music too.
SVS can fit your budget and provide the sweet, sweet bass. (I'm using an older PCi model in a larger room than yours) But I'm not sure anything they sell will fit your 14" cube requirements.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
SVS can fit your budget and provide the sweet, sweet bass. (I'm using an older PCi model in a larger room than yours) But I'm not sure anything they sell will fit your 14" cube requirements.
SB-12Plus?

SheepStar

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I own a PB12/Plus-2. All I can say is holy crap. It's huge, yes I mean seriously huge. The finish is beautiful and the sound is simply wow, wow, wow! but be ready for fricking huge. Highly, highly recommended.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It won't matter how much you spend on a sub, your <14x14x14" size contraints are going to limit the sheer output with HT. Get the SVS for HT, since it has the new impressive 12" Plus driver and a beefy amp with lots of tweakability. Any of the mentioned subs will sound great with music.

annunaki

annunaki

I used to feel the same way about SVS in a way. I was VERY tenative about purchasing a sub I have not heard. In having a Velodyne HGS-10 it was hard to imagine getting better or equal quality with music. Matching the volume is the easy part. It does not take a genius to make a sub loud. The control accuracy and depth was what I was worried about. After many conversations with Ron and Tom from SVS, I pulled the triggger on a PB-12 Ultra.

Not only was the sub a beauty, but it trounced the Velodyne in every category and was cheaper to boot. I was shocked at how subtle and accurate a well done ported system could perform. Sure I gave up some space but it is made up for with accuracy at wall shaking volume. :D

I had expected the SVS to be a bit louder and deeper, but I did NOT expect it to be more accurate.

I am now a firm believer in SVS, you can get a world class sub at a reasonable price.

I feel it is the other brands who have the "hype" not SVS. :)

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Andreas said:
Is SVS the Audioholics darling of the moment or are they a true contender.
Easy. Ask current customers if they'd buy SVS again. I think you'll find they have one of the highest customer loyalty ratings in audio...why?

They love subs. Their first priority isn't making a profit and it shows in their products. They perform. They cruise the forums. As long as they continue to do all of the above, i'll be a happy, repeat customer.

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
When I had to buy a new sub last year, I'd never even heard of SVS. I went to the usual places to check out subs, but I just couldn't afford any of them. So I scoped out the internet & SVS came up over & over. I don't like to buy things sight unseen, but figured "what the hell" I'll give 'em a try. Today, I'm still glad I did. I got a killer sub for a half the price of the subs that were at the stores. So, I'll gladly back up recommendations for them anytime.

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
This really got all the SVS boys off the couch:D

cheers;)

Hilarious!...right on! I still thing they're not great musically....but they rock the house for movies!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Daz3d&Confus3d said:
Hilarious!...right on! I still think they're not great musically....but they rock the house for movies!
Let's not forget seriosly rocking the house with Marcus Miller's impossable to find Master of all Trades DVD. Not musical? I'm gonna be good simply because it's such a silliy statement and will leave it for the crew.

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
Just ordered one

I just pulled the trigger on a PB12-Plus/2 last night.... if it is any help, I've been checking out several forums, and there are TRUE believers in this product!

From an informative standoint, Ron and Erik have been great to work with and seem to always be working ( answered questions at all hours and even on the weekends).

Question though: How do they ship these beasts?? and how long do they take to be delivered ( I live in Florida )?

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis