stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Yesterday I was over at the BB by my home, went to check out if anything was new....well, they have the 58" Panny 1080p (if you're into that sorta of thing) for 4500.00, not too shabby. I spoke to my buddy that feeds me "secret" info (this was the guy that had told me Bluray was outselling HD DVD before the industry mags had published) anyway, he said plasmas (at this store) are still outselling LCDs 2 to 1, his take is that the consumer has latched onto the word "plasma" so when they go see sets they specifically ask for "plasma", this no doubt was due to an effective marketing campaign by the manufacturers. He said he's also heard "credible" rumours that Panny will stop production of plasmas and convert to LCDs when they feel the technology matches the quality (I think this is a ploy), they're probably in the last stages of full investment recoup and probably want to stretch profits. Interesting indeed.

I would wager that 80% of the time most people (laymen) say "plasma" they really mean "flat screen". The marketing on that has been absolutely excellent. It also helps that plasma hit larger screen sizes for years before LCD could catch up.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
With newer generation plasmas burn in is a myth that has been propagated by fear. With the pixel adjusting that has been implemented you can leave static images on good quality plasmas for quiet a while and have no fear of burn in.
If burn in were not real, manufacturers would give warranties against it. Until they do, I will be a believer that it is a real possibility. I have seen burn in on a CRT, and it is really something to be afraid of if you care about picture quality.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure it's possible, but you really have to try. If common sense rules, you'll have no problems. Remember when all the so-called experts where warning about station logos being burnt in? Has anyone had this problem?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure it's possible, but you really have to try. If common sense rules, you'll have no problems. Remember when all the so-called experts where warning about station logos being burnt in? Has anyone had this problem?
Well my parents Vizio (cheapy costco special) from I think 3-4 years ago has an NBC logo burned in, but I am the only one who will notice it in casual viewing as I was the one who pointed it out to my dad.

That just furthers the argument that crappy plasmas will have burn in and quality won't especially because I see Vizio at the bottom of the rung.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have the local NBC affiliate logo burned into the right bottom corner of my CRT HD RPTV. I've seen horrible burn in on Plasmas in a commercial environment but haven't seen anything real bad in someone's home.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't seen it in a residential situation (plasma), you really have to try. I wonder if some tv types are more prone than others.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I have had my plasma Hitachi 55HDT79 since around Feb. '07 with no problems at all with burn it. Have played Xbox 360, paused TV with no hint of burn in.

drybo

drybo

Audioholic Intern
Anyone know anything about these new Hitachi Plasma's that claim 1080i
resolution? Is the picture really any better than a 720p plasma set?

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hds69.shtml

"Quote" from site:
1024 x 1080i Display Resolution
Hitachi’s introduces the world’s first 42-inch high definition HDTV with 1080i resolution for a state of the art plasma viewing experience.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Anyone know anything about these new Hitachi Plasma's that claim 1080i
resolution? Is the picture really any better than a 720p plasma set?

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hds69.shtml

"Quote" from site:
1024 x 1080i Display Resolution
Hitachi’s introduces the world’s first 42-inch high definition HDTV with 1080i resolution for a state of the art plasma viewing experience.
I don't understand that at all. 1024x1080 isn't really a viable resolution (no source will display this except maybe a computer). Most signals considered 1080i or 1080p are 1920x1080. I also don't understand how a plasma is native interlaced. I was under the impression all flat panels were progessive by nature. In either case, I doubt it looks any better than a 768 or 720p plasma made by a good manufactuer like Pioneer or Panasonic. Someone else may have more info or experience with the particular TV.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I don't understand that at all. 1024x1080 isn't really a viable resolution (no source will display this except maybe a computer). Most signals considered 1080i or 1080p are 1920x1080. I also don't understand how a plasma is native interlaced. I was under the impression all flat panels were progessive by nature. In either case, I doubt it looks any better than a 768 or 720p plasma made by a good manufactuer like Pioneer or Panasonic. Someone else may have more info or experience with the particular TV.
I am with you on that. Personally I would steer clear of that set though. 1024x1080 is not considered an HD resolution and while its in between two HD resolutions it seems as if some interesting scaling will need to be done to get the picture to display properly on the set...I think I have seen some other company touting a 1080i flat before, it was stupid then and is stupid now.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I am with you on that. Personally I would steer clear of that set though. 1024x1080 is not considered an HD resolution and while its in between two HD resolutions it seems as if some interesting scaling will need to be done to get the picture to display properly on the set...I think I have seen some other company touting a 1080i flat before, it was stupid then and is stupid now.
But the bigger numbers means it looks better, right? :rolleyes:

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I am still waiting for a screen larger than 34" that looks as good as my HD tube. Plasma and LCD are getting closer, but still have a long way to go yet.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So...you set about 4 inches from it or what?

I am still waiting for a screen larger than 34" that looks as good as my HD tube. Plasma and LCD are getting closer, but still have a long way to go yet.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
So...you set about 4 inches from it or what?
5 feet (which is actually a bit closer than what is usually recommended for a 34".) I can see artifacts in plasma and LCD from much farther away than that. Also, I watch in a darkened room, and the CRT black level is the best by a big margin.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sure......

5 feet (which is actually a bit closer than what is usually recommended for a 34".) I can see artifacts in plasma and LCD from much farther away than that. Also, I watch in a darkened room, and the CRT black level is the best by a big margin.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I was agreeing with you.

If you like little TVs; more power to you. I still feel like my 50" is way to small.

Are you attempting (unsuccessfully) to make a point?:confused: I have merely described the differences that I see.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I was agreeing with you.

If you like little TVs; more power to you. I still feel like my 50" is way to small.
As I said, I have considered going larger. So far, however, the picture quality just isn't good enough on any large screen that I have seen. I also don't have the space to sit much farther back than 5'.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I understand at 5 ft you maybe at the best you can do. I begin seeing artifacts around 5.5 feet on my plasma but my seating position is 11ft out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis