Is more really better when it comes to speakers?

J

JettMan2

Audiophyte
I have two Webern front speakers connected to a Yamaha RX-2080 amp. I recently purchased a Klipsch 5.1 “Reference Theater Pack” for the back surround speakers, the Atmos capability. So I have two front speakers that are not hooked up. Is is worth impedance matching those 8 ohm speakers to my Webern 4 ohm speakers. Yes, more sound but better sound? Webern speakers are 60Hz-25kHz, 91 dB, 30-200 Watts (2-way system). The Klipsch are sensitivity: 91 dB, power handling: up to 50 watts RMS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you mean running two mains, then no, more is not better. For sure running a pair of 4 Ohm and 8 ohm together will overwhelm most receivers. If you are happy with the current speakers, stick with them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just use the spare sats as more surrounds, not mains.

J

JettMan2

Audiophyte
If you mean running two mains, then no, more is not better. For sure running a pair of 4 Ohm and 8 ohm together will overwhelm most receivers. If you are happy with the current speakers, stick with them.
I understand that the ohm value that the receiver would see would be a problem but I was thinking of adding a impedance matching transformer for the balance.
Thx for your feedback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver is capable of your (nominally) 4 ohm mains up to a point, adding nominally 8 ohm speakers wouldn't be a particular issue. Are you having any issues running the Weberns now? I have no idea how an impedance matching transformer would/could work, tho.

J

JettMan2

Audiophyte
The receiver is capable of your (nominally) 4 ohm mains up to a point, adding nominally 8 ohm speakers wouldn't be a particular issue. Are you having any issues running the Weberns now? I have no idea how an impedance matching transformer would/could work, tho.
No issue, I am just so frugal I can’t set there and not think about those speakers “going to wast” ;)
The transformer would just allow the amp to see everything as 4 ohm or 8 ohm, not 2 or 12. Keeping things within range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No issue, I am just so frugal I can’t set there and not think about those speakers “going to wast” ;)
The transformer would just allow the amp to see everything as 4 ohm or 8 ohm, not 2 or 12. Keeping things within range.
Then use them as additional surrounds if you've only got a 3.1.2 (or is it 5.1 ?) format going now....which particular Klipsch set is it?

I've got nothing when it comes to output transfomers, all I know is I've seen quite a few comments wondering why McIntosh uses them still on ss amps but not familiar with the tech or how they may affect the amp/speakers otherwise. Your speakers already have a wide range of impedance vs frequency and if not causing an amplification issue now I certainly wouldn't worry about adding somewhat higher impedance speakers, particularly as surrounds. Couldn't find a measurement graph for your Weberns, nor see anything in their spec except the nominal 4 ohm rating (which likely means they likely at least dip to 3 at times).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Then use them as additional surrounds if you've only got a 3.1.2 (or is it 5.1 ?) format going now....which particular Klipsch set is it?

I've got nothing when it comes to output transfomers, all I know is I've seen quite a few comments wondering why McIntosh uses them still on ss amps but not familiar with the tech or how they may affect the amp/speakers otherwise. Your speakers already have a wide range of impedance vs frequency and if not causing an amplification issue now I certainly wouldn't worry about adding somewhat higher impedance speakers, particularly as surrounds. Couldn't find a measurement graph for your Weberns, nor see anything in their spec except the nominal 4 ohm rating (which likely means they likely at least dip to 3 at times).
McIntosh use auto transformers which in my view is not a good idea but not terrible. Speaker matching transformers are not for high fidelity application.

An even bigger issue, is that you absolutely do not want to double up on speakers. You then will have all sorts of comb filtering issues, and an uneven response. So more is definitely less.

He should use the best speakers he has for the fronts, and forget the poorer speakers. I have no idea which are the better speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Are you talking about this “Reference Theater Pack?”
9A3645C5-F408-4274-82BA-D7E5891BF5F5.jpeg

If so, how is it you have any extra speakers in what is now a 5.1.2 setup with a 9.1 receiver? Maybe I missed something.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you talking about this “Reference Theater Pack?”
View attachment 58033
If so, how is it you have any extra speakers in what is now a 5.1.2 setup with a 9.1 receiver? Maybe I missed something.
I thought he just added a center and surrounds to his Weberns and thus had two left over.....but I did see sometimes that Klipsch package isn't always a bunch of sats, sometimes includes towers (which can make fine surrounds in any case), so need specific model numbers....and setup :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I guessed based on the name and referenced specs as the pic is of the “Reference Theater Pack.”

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That’s what I was thinking and it makes more sense. If that is indeed the case, I’d use the Webern speakers in another zone since the amps are there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s what I was thinking and it makes more sense. If that is indeed the case, I’d use the Webern speakers in another zone since the amps are there.
? You'd just use the 5.1 setup in the main zone? I'm also assuming somewhat we're talking Vienna Acoustic Weberns?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I assumed they are the Viennas. Technically, the R-625FA package is a 5.1.2 setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I assumed they are the Viennas. Technically, the R-625FA package is a 5.1.2 setup.
Depends how you feel about bouncy speakers/application in a given room? :) Just didn't know what you meant about the amp/zone 2 thing.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, some find they might prefer one setup for movies but liked one pair more for music. The Weberns could go in another room or stay in the main room wired to Zone 2 so that they can be played on their own with just Zone 2 powered on. Just wouldn’t try putting them in the mix in any way.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
I have two Webern front speakers connected to a Yamaha RX-2080 amp. I recently purchased a Klipsch 5.1 “Reference Theater Pack” for the back surround speakers, the Atmos capability. So I have two front speakers that are not hooked up. Is is worth impedance matching those 8 ohm speakers to my Webern 4 ohm speakers. Yes, more sound but better sound? Webern speakers are 60Hz-25kHz, 91 dB, 30-200 Watts (2-way system). The Klipsch are sensitivity: 91 dB, power handling: up to 50 watts RMS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You might have two problems:

4Ω nominal speakers in parallel with 8Ω nominal speakers is about 2.67Ω. I don't know what you mean by "impedance matching" 8Ω speakers. You would need to increase the impedance of the 4Ω speakers with a transformer or a resistor to safely drive them in parallel with the 8Ω speakers. 8Ω in parallel with 8Ω is 4Ω, of course. Transformers are non-linear, so they would introduce distortion. I am not aware of any transformers available to do this. Using 4Ω series resistors to increase the impedance of 4Ω speakers to 8Ω will change the frequency response and damping of the 4Ω impedance speakers, so series resistors will change the sound quality of the speakers, as well as steal about 6dB of the amplifier output to produce only heat, not sound. Speaker impedance is not resistance. Nominal speaker impedance is a simplification.

Two speakers on the same channel will interfere to produce comb filter or flange effects.

I would not change or add to your front main speakers if you are satisfied with the sound quality. If you like the sound of the Klipsch better, replace the Webern.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis