Is just just me or are my Audyssey measurements way off?

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
I recently bought a miniDSP UMIK-1 to use in getting my system setup in my new home. I had been using the Audyssey MultEQ app which helps but is very time consuming.

I measured with REW and the UMK-1 , mic at MLP, 90 degree calibration file, three measurements averaged with Var smoothing. Connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI, receiver in Direct mode

The results in the high frequency measurements between Audyseey and REW seem very different. For example Audyssey shows a massive dip at about 6.5k hz where REW shows a very flat response through the highs.

Am I missing something?
Could the Audyssey mic be so far off in calibration?

See attached graphs.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You also used the same three measurement positions for Audyssey? Are the scales/smoothing the same? I wouldn't read too much into the graph the avr provides....a measurement mic and REW should be more accurate in any case....

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
Yes same three positions. The practical effect is that Audy makes the speakers too bright which is why this matters. I guess I'll have to take Gene's guidelines and not let Audy do full range correction. Or perhaps try a different Audy mic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes same three positions. The practical effect is that Audy makes the speakers too bright which is why this matters. I guess I'll have to take Gene's guidelines and not let Audy do full range correction. Or perhaps try a different Audy mic.
Why aren't you using all the mic positions for Audyssey? I think that's pretty basic for best results. i use first at my primary spot, then the rest in a circle about 2 ft in radius....

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
I'm trying to find the best speaker and seating positions based on the measurements. Trying to minimize those pesky nulls. Once I find the best spots I'll run all seven positions.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know it is not what Audyssey is supposed to be about, but for lesser speakers I found the EQ useful full range - I believe it improved the sound of Pioneer BS-22's (and that was lowly Audyssey XT).
However, for better speakers I find it sounds best (in my room!) to only use AutoEQ for correction of room modes, so use the app to EQ below 300Hz.
I'm not sure that 300Hz is the best "rule of thumb" transition frequency, but it works well to my ears!
Perhaps others can comment on how best to choose the upper frequency for EQ!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis