Is it Time to Dump the Silver Disc?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've probably watched Infinity War and Endgame 15 times each, lol. I just watched Spaceballs for the 100th time last night and it surprisingly still holds up pretty well today.
I have Blazing Saddles on BETA. No way to watch it, but I still have it.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I uses to collect physical media, but that stopped a long time ago. There are probably ~100 movies all time I'd care to own. The list looks something like this:

LoTR Trilogy
The Hobbit Trilogy
The Matrix Trilogy
Harry Potter collection
Marvel movie collection ~40 movies if you include X-Men, Deadpool, Spider-Man, The Hulk etc
Original Star Wars Trilogy
Edge of Tomorrow
Aliens
Se7en
Fight Club
Tarantino collection
Terminator collection (except Genesis. F that movie)
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

There are some kids movies as well like:

Shrek collection
Ice Age
The Incredibles

Anyway, I've heard rumor that 4K discs will be the last generation of disc/physical media and that services like Kaleidescape will be the future.

I agree that physical media has much better picture and sound quality than streaming, but streaming is convenient and easy. Plus, original content TV shows mostly stream now, and I probably wouldn't care to own the entire series of shows, as I'd be hard pressed to watch them over again anyways.

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
Streaming is convenient sometimes. Especially after a few and a few more drinks, I don't have to get up to find the movie amongst my 2 layer deep shelves of around 1000 discs that I sort by however I want. Comedy, Actor, Space/aliens, saving the world movies, Disney, and Superhero movies etc.... so it takes awhile to remember where they are hiding. But when I put the disk in, it's like "Porche, there is no substitute". So, back years ago when I had cable and paid extra for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and got crappy 1996 movies that I already owned, it seemed worthless. Now, it's the ONLY way to get the good TV shows. HBO Max does have some Limited time Theater movies. But owning the disc means ANYTIME! All this has got me wanting to play Journey's Any way you want it that's the way you need it, any way you want it. Then I'll go back to more King Crimson.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This thread actually inspired me to buy more 4K blu rays:

The Fifth Element
Terminator 2
Terminator Salvation
Inception
Donnie Darko

I'm curious to see if The Fifth Element is significantly better in 4k.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I uses to collect physical media, but that stopped a long time ago. There are probably ~100 movies all time I'd care to own. The list looks something like this:

LoTR Trilogy
The Hobbit Trilogy
The Matrix Trilogy
Harry Potter collection
Marvel movie collection ~40 movies if you include X-Men, Deadpool, Spider-Man, The Hulk etc
Original Star Wars Trilogy
Edge of Tomorrow
Aliens
Se7en
Fight Club
Tarantino collection
Terminator collection (except Genesis. F that movie)
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

There are some kids movies as well like:

Shrek collection
Ice Age
The Incredibles

Anyway, I've heard rumor that 4K discs will be the last generation of disc/physical media and that services like Kaleidescape will be the future.

I agree that physical media has much better picture and sound quality than streaming, but streaming is convenient and easy. Plus, original content TV shows mostly stream now, and I probably wouldn't care to own the entire series of shows, as I'd be hard pressed to watch them over again anyways.
Similar list here! I actually just picked up The Matrix collection on Blu-ray yesterday at Half Price Books for $12 because it included The Animatrix, which I have never seen offered in that format (granted, I have not looked for it for a while…).

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic

The Fifth Element
Terminator 2
Terminator Salvation
Inception
Donnie Darko

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have never counted my video collection, but I'm guessing around 250 discs - a mixture of about 90% BD and 10% DVD.

There's a core of movies that I have (and will) watch many times:
> Harry Potter collection
> Indiana Jones collection
> LOTR collection
> The Hobbit collection
> Das Boot
> Apocalypse Now
> Spinal Tap

There are probably several more, but they aren't coming to mind right now.

There are many (most?) that I've watched just once, knowing at time of purchase, that this was probably going to be the case. However, I got those for about the same cost as a rental streaming version. I have no intention of giving up on physical video media for the foreseeable future. Until streaming can deliver full BD/4K video and audio quality, those classic must-watch movies have to be on a physical format. That said, I don't purchase nearly as many discs as I used to.

All of my music has been ripped to FLAC to stream over SONOS.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm dropping the black discs too, you know, LPs. Over the last few years virtually all of my new vinyl purchases have been defective, in all manner of defect. It's as if those in the business of LP manufacturing do not know what they're doing. At any rate, the frequency of LP returns has just sucked all the fun out of it. So, I am now just about 100% streaming Apple Music and I've got to tell ya overall it sounds more lifelike than LPs, or CDs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm dropping the black discs too, you know, LPs. Over the last few years virtually all of my new vinyl purchases have been defective, in all manner of defect. It's as if those in the business of LP manufacturing do not know what they're doing. At any rate, the frequency of LP returns has just sucked all the fun out of it. So, I am now just about 100% streaming Apple Music and I've got to tell ya overall it sounds more lifelike than LPs, or CDs.
Real hi-fi streaming is where it's at. The quality is shockingly good and I don't miss discs at all. I only buy at this point to support the band, but streaming their songs actually makes them more than buying. Weird.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are a few different angles people are coming from concerning music and movie consumption. Some want to own a hard copy. This was how they'd always done it and early forms of streaming were not up to snuff. Buying hard copies now is expensive and access to high quality streaming content is available to many at a fraction of the cost and many already have internet access. This is where I'm coming from these days. If I'd purchased every disc of every movie or album I watched or listened to over the last year, I would never have been able to afford that new TV. Wasn't gonna' do it for another year but the price went down just enough and I simply could not pass it up. Now, I can't afford any new discs.:D

E

EJC

Enthusiast

The Fifth Element
Terminator 2
Terminator Salvation
Inception
Donnie Darko

If you can get the studio canal version of The Fifth Element you’ll be in for a treat ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Movie watching has changed over the years. Some people go every day, while others wouldn't be caught dead in a commercial theater. How we watch movies, and how many times poses an interesting question. Is it time to dump the silver disc and embrace streaming? We give our thoughts on the subject.

View attachment 54413

Read: How Many Movies Do you Watch More than 5 Times?
Outside of my concert dvd’s, I’ve not touched my disk collection for eight years.

B

brianapp

Audiophyte
Streaming has its place. I love being able to watch 4K HDR versions without investing in that hardware. The problem is movies are routinely dropped from streaming services. You can never be sure if the movie you love is currently available or if it will be dropped at a future date when its physical copy may not be in print. I will always stream to get the current best playback, which is currently 4K HDR but no one knows what the future versions will be, but to be sure I will be able to view my favorites years from now I still own several.

I don't think you will find the original star wars trilogy in its original form on streaming anywhere ever again. It is sad that future generations will ONLY be able to see the original star wars with that crappy 90s CG mess shoved in it. I am still waiting for the restored ORIGINAL version of star wars. Come on Disney. There is one more cash grab you can get on this material if you would just sell the 4K restored but not re edited versions of these movies on 4K blu ray.!!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Streaming has its place. I love being able to watch 4K HDR versions without investing in that hardware. The problem is movies are routinely dropped from streaming services. You can never be sure if the movie you love is currently available or if it will be dropped at a future date when its physical copy may not be in print. I will always stream to get the current best playback, which is currently 4K HDR but no one knows what the future versions will be, but to be sure I will be able to view my favorites years from now I still own several.

I don't think you will find the original star wars trilogy in its original form on streaming anywhere ever again. It is sad that future generations will ONLY be able to see the original star wars with that crappy 90s CG mess shoved in it. I am still waiting for the restored ORIGINAL version of star wars. Come on Disney. There is one more cash grab you can get on this material if you would just sell the 4K restored but not re edited versions of these movies on 4K blu ray.!!
I'm no connoisseur of Star Wars releases, but what happened in the 90s? Original dvds or ?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Gotta be honest, besides Marvel Movies / GOT Series, I haven't bought a 4k Blu Ray in almost a year. In the day of age of streaming, and my source for VUDU codes, I have pretty much given up on the DISC, unless its something spectacular and out of the ordinary.

I have tried Sony's Bravia Core which streams up to 80Mb/s which looks great, but still isn't up to 4k 128Mb/s. You also need a 120ish Mb/s internet connection, I have a Gig, so I am good there, but that is not the case for a lot of people.

B

brianapp

Audiophyte
I'm no connoisseur of Star Wars releases, but what happened in the 90s? Original dvds or ?
Seriously?? The "special edition" crap, IE a reason to re release in theaters to give something to say in the ads as new, with NEW scenes. They did a major clean up of the video and audio giving both the THX treatment, great. They did some re edits, OK. They created several new CG content that looks like crap, sticks out against the totally practically shot original and adds NOTHING to the story. Now if you go to Disney + to stream it that is all you can get. When they did the 30 anniversary release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, they included ALL version on the dvd. We have been waiting 20 years for them to do the same for Star Wars or at least offer a restored but unaltered version.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

This is the main issue I have with folks that get conned into "buying" a movie that is streaming only. If whoever you "own" that movie through loses a contract and you lose access to that movie, you don't own anything because now you can no longer view that movie. Will you get your money back? Probably not.

Renting streaming movies has always made sense, but I think some of the prices they are trying to charge are a bit much. I'd buy a disc before I pay $30 to stream a movie a bit earlier.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I really only purchase DC or Marvel movie discs anymore. Though, Disney continues to frustrate. I did not purchase the last couple of Disney Marvel movies on disc because the IMAX Enhanced versions with the expanded aspect ratios are available only on Disney+. Those IMAX Enhanced titles are something to see on my new TV.o_O

Digital rentals are convenient but overpriced. If on sale, I have rented a few here or there. I usually wait for discs at the Redbox and use points or promos to get many of them for free.

Years ago, I made many digital purchases from Microsoft using my XBOX 360. The licenses expired and I was no longer able to view the content and was out a few bucks.:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis