Is it time to Ditch Vinyl?

Is it Time to Dump Vinyl?

• Yes. High Res digital streaming is better and here to stay.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No way man. Vinyl is still king.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Embrace all formats, even 8-Track!

Votes: 31 50.8%

• Total voters
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm just curious. The "politics" people are up in arms over is this:

"Just as there are Trumpies who think Democrats eat babies (QAnon), or refuse to accept the fact that anthropological climate change is factual, "

or am I missing something else?
I don't know, the Sodomites aka Soviet Democrats are up in arms regarding counting, like can we count how many deaths Governor Cuomo's covid decisions have caused. Fact.
Well, thanks for answering my question. I'm genuinely curious if that is what people are referring to as being political statements in the article.

J

JNagarya

Audiophyte
He had to sell it to someone and if that guy followed his reasoning, no sale would've happened.

Maybe an extra option should be added? I'd hate to see one of his vinyls inside a whale. How about an option: only if they can be 100% recycled?
FINALLY! --

I've been pointing out, for years, that the "warmth" of vinyl is distortion of stylus/needle contact, and the tubes. Funny -- the only bottom-line defense of vinyl has been . . . "the warmth".

T

trochetier

Audioholic
To me vinyl is like classic cars or someone's first car. Keep them around take them for a drive once in a while just for nostalgia. After sitting in its original box in a bedroom closet for 30+ years two years ago I dug my TT out serviced it and play it once in a while. I also had my old albums well packed sitting in the same bedroom closet.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If the thread looks like swiss cheese it's due to a bunch of clean up. If it gets messy again I go from cleaning thread to cleaning house, if you get the drift...

I

itspecos

Audiophyte
Ok, let's start at $15. a month did someone forget to add the cost of the internet connection which starts around $40. a month and up? That's $55. or more a month and if you live in a rural area like I do where the internet reliability sucks there's still nothing that compares to vinyl and or CDs. All I need is electricity and my sacred music collection. Yes, my hundreds of record albums and CDs take up a lot of room but so does a 1959 red Cadillac convertible. But I'm pretty sure you would rather drive a more fuel-efficient vehicle like a Ford Prius. Why do you even feel like you have to prove that your method of listening to music is better than mine in the first place? Perhaps you should spend more time listening to the music and less time complaining about my big ass Cadillac. Wanna drag?

S

surroundguy

Audiophyte
I own a fairly large collection of LPs. They sit in a media room which is also full of Beta Tapes, Cassettes, LaserDiscs, DVDs, CDs, and whatever else is in there that I may be leaving out. The LPs are mostly from the late 60's, 70's and 80's when I originally purchased them. I don't believe I've listened to them since the 90's.

I currently have a highish end 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theater system (Klipsch, Marantz, NAD) and mostly listen to Hi Rez music streaming services (and the few Hi Rez discs I own) there, or through headphones on my mobile devices, or through Apple CarPlay in my vehicle which has a highish end surround sound system in it.

I hold on to the "old stuff" for sentimental reasons and am not really sure how it will sound on my current system because I don't have the various players hooked up. I'm not sure how they will stack up subjectively to the Hi Rez stuff. Obviously, the visual media will probably suck, but the sound quality of the audio elements will be VERY interesting to compare. For example, the cassettes were recorded at double speed and I have an old BIC double speed cassette deck (tape hiss I know, but I also have a few dolby noise reduction units to clean it up, I have a closet full of unused equipment). Will it sound Hi Rez? Probably not, but I know it is still enjoyable to listen to.

I only purchase Hi Rez recordings now, but will be holding on to all my old stuff for posterity's sake and will eventually listen to and enjoy it again. Thankfully, I live in a large house and warehousing these items isn't an issue.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Ones enjoyment of music is what you want to make of it. Myself, being older than most on this forum I began acquiring Lp's back in the sixties and while I've culled quite a few from my modest collection I still have 1500 + or - that I continue to enjoy. My investment in my analog playback gear while not at the highest echelon is never the less at a level that further enhances my enjoyment of the format.

Regardless, as the years have gone by most of my serious listening sessions( 3hours or more) usually involve analog.

long live 'Black Pizza' !

B

brianapp

Audiophyte
I wouldn't be too quick to ditch physical media for streaming services. First of all you only have access to the music and version that they choose to offer. Alexa has come back empty for me several times and at other times only offering a remixed version that is different than the one I am used to. The CDs I have I have for life. I don't have to think about them being dropped from a catalog or replaced with "improved and different" versions. I will keep my CDs while other can be at the mercy of what Amazon thinks which version you should have access to or if they feel like dropping it entirely.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I would never have all my music on a cloud somewhere and pay 20 bucks a month to rent it. I prefer to own the physical media (SACD, CD, Blu Ray Audio, etc) or studiomaster FLAC, DSD files stored on my personal NAS.

The only instance where i still carry a vinyl album is when a better quality digital alternative is not available for that specific album, i.e., the digital alternative got completely butchered/botched by the loudness war, mastering engineer on crack, etc....and the vinyl album ended up more stomachable.

All cassettes should be set on fire (no questions asked).

Any dude who claims vinyl sounds better than SACD, Blu-Ray Audio, non-botched studiomaster FLAC, etc needs to be btch slapped all the way to China Town.
br.jpg

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You stream to the MusicCast Turntable like you would stream to any other MusicCast system. :D

The MC TT has WiFi and Wired Ethernet. Setup would be similar to setting up MusicCast on any Yamaha AVP or AVR or Receiver with MusicCast.

WOAH WOAH WOAH,,,,you can stream pandora, tidal, dlna hires flac files from your NAS drive, etc on a turntable?!?!?!?! Making it ideal for a office, bedroom setup etc??? or how about the kitchen??? spinnin some vinyl when yer cooking up a storm???... OMG OMG WOW :D

True, true, Lordy Yammy's always been ahead of the curve (while the rest of the SoundUnited simpletons floundered in the dark)...This piece looks better in creamy white than piano black though IMHumbleO...
20210202_072424.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I use whatever medium suites me, be it vinyl, cassette, CD or streaming. Converted my CDs to FLAC out of convenience since it's the best format to randomize a large collection and can be copied to portable media players. I keep the vinyl and cassette (recorded on a Nikko ND-1000, not store bought) as there are some rare albums that I only have on that medium, or had them passed down from my father. Biggest complaint about digital though is compression. That's not complaining about the medium, but the sound engineering (not a new topic, I know). Crime of the Century, for example, has loads of dynamics, but the first CD release of Moving Pictures sounds absolutely horrible next to the LP. So, no, not selling my vinyl collection any time soon. The one thing I would change on the survey would be to remove 8-tracks. That should die a horrible death in some plastics recycling plant.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Perhaps it is just the association - but I find old recordings of jazz and big band are more enjoyable when played on my TT than the same LP transcribed directly to Cassette with Dolby C and high quality tape.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If the thread looks like swiss cheese it's due to a bunch of clean up. If it gets messy again I go from cleaning thread to cleaning house, if you get the drift...
Cleaning, like the Aegean stables? Can I watch?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This album that I purchased from Fat Possum Records came in warped and had scratches on the 1st and last track on both sides of the album. The other 3 albums were squeaky clean.

1612287763298.png

I reached out to Fat Possum this past Saturday night and I heard back from them today. I'm getting another copy sent to me. That's good service. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps it is just the association - but I find old recordings of jazz and big band are more enjoyable when played on my TT than the same LP transcribed directly to Cassette with Dolby C and high quality tape.
Good grief why would you transfer to cassette in this day and age?! If you make a copy, may as well make it identical and with better longevity than tape! :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Good grief why would you transfer to cassette in this day and age?! If you make a copy, may as well make it identical and with better longevity than tape! :)
Very handy when running with the Sony Walkman, 1st revision.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I got rid of my cassette Discman when the cd versions came out long ago, too.....I was so glad to get rid of cassettes :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 4 decks on the go, two of which are in one system and one each in the other systems for music I cannot find digitally or is prohibitvely expensive to buy. I make recordings using dbx for use in home and Dolby C for my walkman. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have 4 decks on the go, two of which are in one system and one each in the other systems for music I cannot find digitally or is prohibitvely expensive to buy. I make recordings using dbx for use in home and Dolby C for my walkman. :)
I still have my Nikko ND-1000C. With Dolby C, a 3 head deck and proper bias adjustment you could get close to CD quality. The Nikko had an auto-bias feature that recorded and played back test tones, but I got better results with one of the factory settings and the right model of Denon cassette. Back then the tapes were primarily for the Clarion head unit I had my car which also supported Dolby C.
The tapes have certainly degraded over time though. Anything I'm really fond of can usually be found on the net and gets replaced with a digital copy. Jumping to a particular song on tape is still a PITA. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis