Is it risky to purchase used subwoofers?

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Well if it's a Rel 10 then it didn't dig too deep....
Yup, I can agree. But it’s much more than what I had before.

I am going to Best Buy to buy a little junk sub that’s OB, just to test. I see a definitive tech pro sub 800 OB for 200, but that one has a a lot of power and low frequency.

I see they got some Sony and Yamaha smaller subs, not that that is the best. But I am going to test them and see how it reacts with my room. Sony is a 110w and goes down to 28, equal to the Yamaha I am looking at. About ~125 for each of those subs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Dayton SUB1200 and SUB1500 are good values too but might be out of stock IIRC.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Those are excellent value, but I believe they too are going to be a little over the top. I just need something that’s crap and has LFE.

I remember a while back when I was watching sub reviews, there was one Gene posted and he said it’s a down fire sub that’s small which measured really well. It was a lower end sub review. Not sure what model he said, but it was a down firing sub for certain.

Got to see how this 100 w 28hz does to get a realistic idea of what works and what doesn’t.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those are excellent value, but I believe they too are going to be a little over the top. I just need something that’s crap and has LFE.

I remember a while back when I was watching sub reviews, there was one Gene posted and he said it’s a down fire sub that’s small which measured really well. It was a lower end sub review. Not sure what model he said, but it was a down firing sub for certain.

Got to see how this 100 w 28hz does to get a realistic idea of what works and what doesn’t.
I don't think you're understanding yet how to integrate a sub. Don't buy crap. Down firing isn't any particular advantage, just a design choice. Trying to go by some vague wattage/lower extension spec.....good luck.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea so my buddy brought his sub over yesterday, just to see how it all works out. Testing how much noise vibration would be generated.

He got a 10” sub and it’s creating way too much noise and vibration, when it’s hitting really low frequency my door on my room starts to pop too and everything is shaking even on my decoupler. Even with music, which doesn’t drop that low. I watched blade as it has a lot of bassy scene man, it’s too much.

I did put the crossover to 50, and also was adjusting the gain to see what works and basically takes until the gain is all the way down to have a more reasonable performance and bass is basically gone.

So it’s unfortunate, but I am probably going to have to opt out on a sub for now. I really don’t know what to do
From this one post alone, and I mean no offense to you, I'm thinking that you really dont want a sub that can dig too deep because you think that room vibrations are the fault of a sub not dialed in properly. Thats only partially true BUT it also showa lack of quality construction of the room. I have dialed all my subs in properly on all 3 systems and I still here a rattle of windows on my main floor system. My basement and bedroom remain vibration free.

I can also say that you did not dial your friends sub in correctly, not by a long shot. As far as Im concerned, REL doesnt make a good subwoofer and those by REL that can match a PSB Subsonic6 are far too over priced for their performance capability.

I think the best learning exeperience you can do for yourself is visit all your friends who have properly dialed in subs and listen to their systems. It really is an eye opening experience. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I

It could have been a Martin Logan Dynamo. Downfiring and they are pretty good really. Not the best but I have some and not bad if you can get cheap.

That said, there is no such thing as over the top. Buy a good product and just don't turn it up very high when you can afford it. I wouldn't buy a crappy sub for cheap if you have the patience. I'd rather you just go without a sub for a bit then buy a decent used one which can last you a good while.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
From this one post alone, and I mean no offense to you, I'm thinking that you really dont want a sub that can dig too deep because you think that room vibrations are the fault of a sub not dialed in properly. Thats only partially true BUT it also showa lack of quality construction of the room. I have dialed all my subs in properly on all 3 systems and I still here a rattle of windows on my main floor system. My basement and bedroom remain vibration free.

I can also say that you did not dial your friends sub in correctly, not by a long shot. As far as Im concerned, REL doesnt make a good subwoofer and those by REL that can match a PSB Subsonic6 are far too over priced for their performance capability.

I think the best learning exeperience you can do for yourself is visit all your friends who have properly dialed in subs and listen to their systems. It really is an eye opening experience. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Thanks, not offended at all. I can fully agree I don’t know what I am doing, but I did most obvious things and it’s too much.

I’m not sure what integrating the sub will do or is, next time I will run the Audssey as well see if there’s any difference.

I am just doing the trial and error process using the sub which works with my room. The crap wireless sub. And get something which can dig deeper and see how it works out. Nearly the same wattage.

I am not buying to keep, just testing @lovinthehd.

Open box so I don’t feel bad returning, Best Buy actual has this returns extension until the 15th of Jan. So I can really test it out

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I

It could have been a Martin Logan Dynamo. Downfiring and they are pretty good really. Not the best but I have some and not bad if you can get cheap.

That said, there is no such thing as over the top. Buy a good product and just don't turn it up very high when you can afford it. I wouldn't buy a crappy sub for cheap if you have the patience. I'd rather you just go without a sub for a bit then buy a decent used one which can last you a good while.
I agree, once I get multiple speakers providing bass it will be much better. My towers go to 42, books 45 and center is 46. That’s fairly close to the 38 and much more surface area. Just testing right now what is possible

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Unless you find the proper placement for your subwoofer and unless your system is calibrated properly you are going to hear a disastrous mess of sloppy base boominess and bullshit.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Unless you find the proper placement for your subwoofer and unless your system is calibrated properly you are going to hear a disastrous mess of sloppy base boominess and bullshit.
Yea I wouldn’t doubt it for a second. But having a bad structure plays a role to I’m sure

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't take them even if they were free
Yeah they are too booomy and uneven bass , I’d probably go without a sub rather then with a cheaper low end model.
I got a good sub for next to nothing once but it’s not high end ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis