Is Emotiva losing some of it's luster?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Look, I'm really reticent to even post this, because I consider myself an Emo fanboy, but I have had repeated issues with every piece of Emo equipment that I own, or have owned - going back to my original RSP-1.

Now, the issues aren't major, and the customer service has always stepped up (they are top notch), but having to drop $50-$70 one way to ship back product and be without my system for weeks is a triple dog PIA.

Recently, I've had to send in one of my Stealth 8s for an amp issue (I get it back Thursday - YAY!!!), but I've had to send in my Airmotiv 6es twice for the same issues both times.

Is this just a case of cheap Chinese parts not being able to handle real world stresses, or is there something else going on?

I mean, I really want to believe that they can deliver at their current price points, but hell I would gladly pay a few bux more for something built better that is a little more reliable.

What say ye? Am I the only one here? I really hope so, and this is just my stupid luck.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are now doing all manufacturing in the US AFAIK, but not everything they're selling was built here yet. I had to send in my UMC-200 in as well and they repaired it here. I still have confidence in them, but there may be some growing pains as they transition back here.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Specifically Airmotiv is modification of 100% Chinese designed product, forgot the brand.

Back in 2012 AH GTG for example Emotiva's demo (Battleship movie) was not very impressive (besides amazing Epson pj) specifically dual Emotiva Xref 12" sealed subs (corner loaded) did terribly in large demo room

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I definitely can't blame anyone for feeling annoyed and inconvenienced with various issues. I think you have showed more than enough patience. I think most people won't even give a second chance.

The only EMO product I've ever owned was their 200WPC x 7Ch amp. I didn't like the fit-and-finish and build quality. So I never even gave them a second chance.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like they have a problem with quality control.
And I for one, would not like to wait weeks for repairs.

Sometimes it is better to spend a little more for a company
with good quality control.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No problems out of my USP-1 or XDA-1.

But, the only 2 current emo products that I would even consider are the phono preamp (mostly due to its flexibility and size), and the XSP-1.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
They are now doing all manufacturing in the US AFAIK, but not everything they're selling was built here yet. I had to send in my UMC-200 in as well and they repaired it here. I still have confidence in them, but there may be some growing pains as they transition back here.
Well, that's good to know that manufacturing is transitioning back to the US.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Y
No problems out of my USP-1 or XDA-1.

But, the only 2 current emo products that I would even consider are the phono preamp (mostly due to its flexibility and size), and the XSP-1.
Ya, I owned the XSP-1s predecesssor the RPA-1, and before I shipped it the guy I sold it to the front panel light module bailed on me. Unfortunately, I hadn't even noticed bacause I always kept it dark, but I had to refund the guy back some cash to ship it back to Emo for warranty work. :(

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know if manufacturing in the US is going to help or bury them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that's a tough deal. I think it is the right thing, but it could mean they take hits in other areas like turnaround speed and time to market as a result. If the end result is quality though, then I'll take that over speed.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, that's a tough deal. I think it is the right thing, but it could mean they take hits in other areas like turnaround speed and time to market as a result. If the end result is quality though, then I'll take that over speed.
I would also suspect that there will be a cost adjustment in there somwhere as a result.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree, in terms of quality making in China or US makes little difference. I have a few toys totally designed and made there and had no issue, but they are not cheap by my standard.

Look at some of the Apple products, like Emo, they are designed here but manufactured in China and are expensive again by my standard. I have yet to have a single issue of my iPod, iPad, iPhone that are made in China. I think it has more to do with the quality of the design, choice of components, workmanship and quality control. I bet Emo can improve on everything to the point they can offer a 20 year warranty but if they do, expect to pay much more.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Agree, in terms of quality making in China or US makes little difference. I have a few toys totally designed and made there and had no issue, but they are not cheap by my standard.

Look at some of the Apple products, like Emo, they are designed here but manufactured in China and are expensive again by my standard. I have yet to have a single issue of my iPod, iPad, iPhone that are made in China. I think it has more to do with the quality of the design, choice of components, workmanship and quality control. I bet Emo can improve on everything to the point they can offer a 20 year warranty but if they do, expect to pay much more.
Also Agree, I'm in the semiconductor industry and one of the best fabs I work with is in China. It comes down to the old adage, "you get what you pay for."

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Also Agree, I'm in the semiconductor industry and one of the best fabs I work with is in China. It comes down to the old adage, "you get what you pay for."
True, you can get cheap crap from anywhere, even the good ol' USA. It happens in every industry, automotive and firearms come to mind. While I won't buy a Chinese firearm I do recognize the quality can be just as good if not better than similarly priced US competitors. Their are loads of horrible firearms made right here in the US.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Quality is a function of QC and good manufacturing. If you want GREAT quality, you have to have both of those, and that's not so easy for a small company. Comparing the quality of Apple to Emo is literally "apples to oranges". A big company can dictate how things are done and control it, where a small one is in a different situation in most cases, and will have to deal with smaller contract manufacturers. You can still have QC and good manufacturing (look at Oppo) but it will also come at a cost, just like manufacturing here will. Oppo is different because they own their manufacturing AFAIK. I work at a very large manufacturing company too, and a significant percentage of our equipment is built in Asia.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure you're familiar with 6-Sigma? Basically a statistical approach to get 0 defects.

I'm also in the semicon industry. Our goal is something like 0.6 defects in a million parts (maybe not exactly that but something similar). And for parts that go into automobiles....zero defects....period!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've been in semi for most of my career; still at semi company, but in the display business segment for many years now.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's funny, I started in semi too. I guess we all sort of agree that companies can get things made in China and have good quality if they choose to but there are enough of them go there just to lower their labor cost without paying the extra attention and the small offset cost to have good QC/QA.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Comparing the quality of Apple to Emo is literally "apples to oranges". A big company can dictate how things are done and control it, where a small one is in a different situation in most cases, and will have to deal with smaller contract manufacturers. You can still have QC and good manufacturing (look at Oppo) but it will also come at a cost, just like manufacturing here will. Oppo is different because they own their manufacturing AFAIK. I work at a very large manufacturing company too, and a significant percentage of our equipment is built in Asia.
I fully agree, I cited Apple as an example not as a comparison, to show that you can have good quality either way and you provided the reasons but we basically make the same point.:D

Actually you also provided a better example using Oppo. Oppo is an extremely small company relative to Apple but their workmanship, build quality and reliability seems just as good if not better. I have owned 3 of their products and have only one issue with the 95 but that was just a minor nuisance, not a defect.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
OK, since this thread has gone to semi conductors lol, I'm guessing that it's just my crap luck in play here since no one else seems to be having issues.

Thank Gawd, my Stealth comes back today. I've been losing my mind these last 3 weeks.

DJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis