Is Better Cables Silver Serpent subwoofer cables that much better?

J

JDawg

Junior Audioholic
I was reading about the Silver Serpent subwoofer cables and the reviews are saying they make a noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm using Monster cable right now with my sub and I didn't notice any difference at all between the Monster and a generic cable I was using before. So if I replaced my Monster cable with the Silver Serpent, would it make my sub sound any better? I'm a little skeptical about some of these reviews claiming that this Silver Serpent cable is that good and actually makes a difference.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let skepticism rule when it comes to magic cables. Some years ago I read an article in an audiophile magazine that did a double blind comparison of cheap cable, expensive cable and Romex (the wire they use to take electricity to the outlets inside your walls). The Romex won quite unexpectedly. The magazine decided that double blind studies were invalid. So much for truth in cables. Since then, cable-mania has gotten even worse. Believe it at your own risk or just make sure that you have clean contacts and competently manufactured cables.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
JDawg said:
I was reading about the Silver Serpent subwoofer cables and the reviews are saying they make a noticeable difference in sound quality. I'm using Monster cable right now with my sub and I didn't notice any difference at all between the Monster and a generic cable I was using before. So if I replaced my Monster cable with the Silver Serpent, would it make my sub sound any better? I'm a little skeptical about some of these reviews claiming that this Silver Serpent cable is that good and actually makes a difference.

It will make a difference if your imagination runs wild:D
Otherwise, in reality, it will not:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
skizzerflake said:
Let skepticism rule when it comes to magic cables. Some years ago I read an article in an audiophile magazine that did a double blind comparison of cheap cable, expensive cable and Romex (the wire they use to take electricity to the outlets inside your walls). The Romex won quite unexpectedly. The magazine decided that double blind studies were invalid. So much for truth in cables. Since then, cable-mania has gotten even worse. Believe it at your own risk or just make sure that you have clean contacts and competently manufactured cables.
Yes! I remember this, if it's the same one, I think around the early 90's Stereovile did a blind test and some really cheap wires beat out the "stellar" competition. The following issue the editors and contributing writers were busy trying to denounce the whole thing! And the reader mail was off the wall accusing them of hiding the truth, I guess the snake oil cable manufacturers got on the phone and threatened to pull their ads, ah the power of advertising.:mad:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
There are three ways to make a sub sound better.

1)Placement.

2)Room treatment.

3)Replacement.:D

The funny thing is that you state you didn't notice a difference last time you replaced the cable, but somehow think this time will be different.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I use cheap, cheap, cheap, affordable cables and it still sounds like I’m at the Empire Leicester square
. I would have to be really mad to spend £30.00 for less than a meter of monster cable!

Buy the best affordable AVR or AVP the best loudspeakers matching across the front buy an array of surrounds to go around the whole room within the listening area. Buy the best sub bass unit that is going to stand up to the most demanding motion picture soundtrack! Buy the best affordable DVD player buy the best affordable video projector.

And buy the best affordable cheap, cheap, cheap cable and enjoy.

Last edited:
H

Hi-Fi ve

Junior Audioholic
skizzerflake said:
The magazine decided that double blind studies were invalid.
What could possibly make the double blind test invalid? :( It’s a fairly easy procedure and been done for many years on all kinds of consumer goods, i.e. Coke & Pepsi.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Hi-Fi ve said:
What could possibly make the double blind test invalid? :( It’s a fairly easy procedure and been done for many years on all kinds of consumer goods, i.e. Coke & Pepsi.
There have been many such tests over the years and even in cases where the believers design the parameters for the test, pick the equipment to use, and pick the musical selections to play they immediately proclaim the test invalid because they failed to pick the component being played a statisitically valid number of times.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

zumbo said:
There are three ways to make a sub sound better.

1)Placement.

2)Room treatment.

3)Replacement.:D

The funny thing is that you state you didn't notice a difference last time you replaced the cable, but somehow think this time will be different.

A better sub maybe?:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Hi-Fi ve said:
What could possibly make the double blind test invalid? :( .

It doesn't give the answers Stereopile wanted, and still wants:D

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi-Fi ve said:
That's the point, cognitive dissonance...kill the messenger. The hard-core audiophile subculture does this a lot. I guess when you've paid 40K for a stereo rig and you still aren't happy you try to think of some other way to throw money at it, so you come up with magic power conditioners, expensive wire, amplifier bricks, etc and tell yourself that they must help, otherwise what a fool I would be...would I rather be a fool or hear a difference? I'd rather hear the difference. I guess that would make me a hard core audiophile.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So if I replaced my Monster cable with the Silver Serpent, would it make my sub sound any better?
No only the Audioholics GLOB can improve the fidelity of your system. Email me if you would like to place an order :D

A

Ampdog

Audioholic
JDawg,

Perhaps still in your thoughts, as in that of so many others: "...these contributions are good and the blokes sound honest ... but is there just perhaps a possibility that they do not know it all? (No, we don't)

Next follows: "Perhaps Science does not know it all - after all how would they know if there is something they do not know?"

.... and so on. The line of thought often honestly persued by those trying to learn, and most dishonestly abused by those with set beliefs or hidden agenda's.

We scientists do not know everything, but we do know certain things. In this respect it is comparatively easy to show that exotic cables cannot make a difference; about as impossible as for water to flow uphill.

After all that in support of the previous contributions: The following matters can have no practical effect (meaning that any such effects can only begin to act way outside the audio range): The kind of metal (silver, gold, copper), resistance (unless >20m lengths of flea wire are used), inductance, capacitance, impedance, distance between cables, height suspended above the carpet, temperature, insulation, oxygen-free copper, flat or round (the former works better under carpets for purely geometric reasons), stranded or single (except for reasons of convenience), the magnetic field of the earth, the "wide" audio frequency band ("bi-wiring must be used because cables cannot carry such a wide frequency difference").... These are about the most important factors, dished up as reasons to try to persuade you to part with your money.

All of this have been measured, listened for. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt.

My long-winded way of saying: Don't waste your money. Rather improve something else or buy a few extra CDs. (And if you still want to, listen to different products, but in heaven's name don't spend money unless you can hear a distinct difference - which you probably won't.)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I remember I will still under the influence of Snake Oil. I went to a hi-fi store and I compulsively purchased an Audioquest subwoofer cable. I asked if it really made any difference and they told me yes, and if I wasn't satisfied with it that I could return it. So I got it home and hooked it up, and I noticed no difference. The part that sucks, I spent $50 and I didn't return it, I thought for sure it made a difference in some way, but for some reason I didn't know what difference it was making. I call it a brain fart, I should have returned the cable.:mad:

NEVER, EVER, WILL I PAY A PREMIUM FOR CABLES AGAIN,...NEVER!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Seth=L said:
I remember I will still under the influence of Snake Oil. I went to a hi-fi store and I compulsively purchased an Audioquest subwoofer cable. I asked if it really made any difference and they told me yes, and if I wasn't satisfied with it that I could return it. So I got it home and hooked it up, and I noticed no difference. The part that sucks, I spent $50 and I didn't return it, I thought for sure it made a difference in some way, but for some reason I didn't know what difference it was making. I call it a brain fart, I should have returned the cable.:mad:

NEVER, EVER, WILL I PAY A PREMIUM FOR CABLES AGAIN,...NEVER!
You see. This is where ID dealers that offer a great return policy get you. If you won't return a $50 cable, why would you return a whole set of speakers. You will stand by your purchase and rave about the quality of what you purchased to somehow make yourself believe it was worth it. I am guilty as well. Not for speakers though. A Vacuum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis