Is audio your hobby or something else?

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Sheep said:
Also, I am already setup to go into mechanics. Maybe once I finish the program and have some extra $, I will open a shop or something. :)
By chance, this will be the first time I have mentioned this, on this site.
I am ASE certified, well certified in 3 of the 7 tests.
(or at least it was 7 tests when I got certified, may be more now)
By passing all 7, you will become ASE Master certified.
The 3 I am certified in is Brakes (ABS, Electronic, hydraulic, etc), Engine Performance, and AC.

There is good money in it, by chance I also worked on diesel as well. Well, diesel tractors/bushhogs etc.
However even when in a good position, and working for a good firm (like a dealership). It is still back breaking work. (and you need to learn early to stay off those damn tool trucks, granted $16,000 in tools later I did not learn early enough)
It is good money, when I was doing mechanics I was getting 21.00 an hour.
At the time it was great money, nowadays I think the starting guy makes at least 18.00
I worked at a couple of specialty shops including specialty Corvettes and some race cars (place was called Brett's Vettes).
Also worked for a dealership, etc.. But I did not like mechanics enough to stick with one company longer than 1 1/2 years, so I kept looking for better money and easier work.
I did this from ages about 16 to 25, I had also in some of that time worked with my brother on painting yachts. (I basically painted from about age 22 - until my disability)
Then I went full time into yachts and started to work for a company that paid for me to travel around the East coast working on multi million $ yachts (100 - 150' yachts).
I got tired of that company pretty quick, and decided to do this for myself.
Obviously smaller boats 30 - 50' (not yachts 60 - 150'). And I made quite a bit, the most people I had working for me was only 5 people, but I paid most of those guys 18 - 25.00 an hour.
Boats was fun, but always in my spare time - I worked on computers.
Now, if I where to start over - this is where I would have continued my education in. I have also taken courses in this, but never really pursued it in a 'my own' business venture. I basically do it on the side now (shh, don't tell the State of FL)
But even this is difficult with my disability.

Anyhow, I have no clue on where I was going with that.:confused:
Other than to say, yeah mechanics is not bad at a early age but it will get tiring fairly quick.

Buckeyefan 1 said:
My neighbor three doors down is an independant sales rep for Snap On Tools. He's always trying to get me to buy his repo's (tool boxes and tools). Any word on if this stuff is worth the money, or just Craftsman look-a-likes?
Snap-On is great (also named Bluepoint) for pneumatic, and some electrical tools.
The boxes are great as well, but way over-priced. (when I said $16,000 in tools that was just my bills for the tool trucks - which also includes MAC and if I was in a pinch I would actually buy crappy Matco tools)
The problem with Snap-On is their warranty is difficult to deal with (even good reps, are difficult to deal with)

I would recommend Craftsman hand tools over Snap-On. Because the warranty is much easier to work with.
Yes some Snap-On hand tools are better built, but it may take 2 weeks to get it replaced (if you can even get them to replace it)
With Sears, you just walk in - then walk out, I have never had a problem with the kid behind the register in replacing any tools.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Its like sex,its great when you use it otherwise it just sets there looking good.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
~JC~ said:
Not sure I have figured out the point of this post. Are you an arrogant bastid trying to flaunt his dough, Either way, I would ask, what do you ride??;)

what do i ride? the city bus:( i spent all my cash on my hobbie's.

flaunt my dough? i used the rest of my dough on the bus pass:)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
For all the good my years of undergrad and graduate education have done me, sometimes I think I should have joined the supposed "dummies" in high school auto shop. You can't outsource a tune-up to Bangalore. And I understand that really good mechanics with troubleshooting skills command six figure incomes. Worth some grease under the fingernails. Hey, I like grease under my fingernails anyway.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Harley-Davidson Motor Company just increased its production to 400,000 units a year. Thats alot of S&S carburators that will be improperly installed that will get about $200 each to fix :)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Harley-Davidson Motor Company just increased its production to 400,000 units a year. Thats alot of S&S carburators that will be improperly installed that will get about $200 each to fix :)
im not doubting your sale's #'s for hd but i am amazed at how time's have changed from where if you owned a hd you were an outlaw & looked down on to now it's a sheik investment allowing for sale's that high.

your right about the s&s,i see guy's with brand new bike's throw a super e on it just to do it then end up wondering why their scooter run's like crap.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
My neighbor three doors down is an independant sales rep for Snap On Tools. He's always trying to get me to buy his repo's (tool boxes and tools). Any word on if this stuff is worth the money, or just Craftsman look-a-likes? Thought you may know being in the biz, Sheep. :confused:
Snap on tools are good, but over priced. Their like monster basically. You can get away with craftsman or something else. If you really want Snap on's, don't get the crome finish, it just adds extra to the price.

The tools boxes are the same thing. Good, but over priced.

Any spelling errors? I know how deeply it offends people on this site, so I want to catch them all early. :rolleyes:

SheepStar

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I'll never say anything about grammar,this isnt school. We do what we can.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep said:
Any spelling errors? I know how deeply it offends people on this site, so I want to catch them all early.
I'm not offended; I've just risen to the challenge. :D

Sheep said:
Snap-on tools are good, but over-priced. They're like Monster basically. You can get away with Craftsman or something else. If you really want Snap-on's, don't get the chrome finish; it just adds extra to the price.

The tools boxes are the same thing. Good, but over-priced.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
yah my speling and grammer are reel good and im picky about em.

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
It did not start start out as a hobby but its getting there... so far I only have a dvd source.. I need to make a HD cable / satellite decision before the soccer world cup.. next year will be a hd-dvd or blue ray source. I've also gotten into Home Automation.. I just wanted to turn the lights off from my remote but that's definately a work in progress. I don't know if its a hobby but certainly there a pride in building this thing out as it will be yeras and it will evolve

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Speaking of jobs in audio, I just got a job at Best Buy! :)

SheepStar

majorloser

majorloser

Sheep said:

SheepStar
CONGRATULATIONS!

Hopefully this might help push you further into your hobby. Diesel repairs can pay the bills but there's always the opportunity for side work. People always need a little "side help" with the new purchase. Make sure if you get a chance talk to the vendor reps if you can.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Whenever Bose is mentioned...

...there is a contingent who trip all over themselves to join in the feeding frenzy...

Over @t AA you can't even mention DBTs in most of their forums and if you should be unfortunate enough to mock the sacred cow du jour you'll get what for from a gathering gaggle of "audiopiles"...

Over @AR, they have tried to do much the same thing, although little by little, things a reverting to some sense of normalcy...other than the fact that they have driven away much of their knowledge base...

So if some poor soul wanders in with a question based on heresay or other anecdotal info, who are we to avoid disabusing he, she or it of said bogus "factoids"...attempting to present the other side IS part of the fun, especially if you can do it with facts!

jimHJJ(...you don't go to a Chinese restaurant and order spaghetti and meatballs...)

Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:

SheepStar
congrat's on the new job:D all silly stuff aside there is a great chance for quick advancement at chain store's like that for those who dont turn into zombie's like most of the employee's ,i have a family member who very quickly rose to upper management there & make's a decent wage too.

use your audio knowlede to take over the audio dept:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I started my own small company Synergy Audio Systems, offering consultation, installation and calibration, and even locating new and used gear for people within a budget. I'm just starting out with it, and it is only on the side, but it's been going fairly well. 100% satisfied customers so far, though there haven't been that many yet. I'd eventually like to turn it into a full time job and possibly open up a store. Started as a hobby...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis